Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

arm strength isn't everything but fields arm strength isn't great. it's average

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tom, first of all I was pleasantly surprised to see that you were against drafting Sewell. Kudos to you! If I had been asked if there was any poster on this site who would have wanted Sewell, I would have said you, because I know how passionate you are about the OL. I also knew that you were a smart poster, but was unsure if your passion for the OL would win out. I'm glad to see that it didn't! That should serve as a lesson to all those posters who want Sewell. If you, probably THE most passionate poster on this site regarding getting a great OL thinks it not wise to draft an OT two years in a row, then no one else should, either.

With regards to Sam, please don't misunderstand. I like Sam, but because my profession is teaching people how to use their bodies, training them to work in specific ways, I believe that Sam should not play next year if he has any hopes of fulfilling his potential. He needs to sit, and focus only on his flaws. One cannot do the necessary focused work to change footwork and basic mechanics, when one is having to learn a game plan and getting ready to play, and playing each week. His muscle memory and bad habits are so ingrained, that it will most likely take more than the offseason to correct them, and that's if he gets with the right QB Coach. For whatever reason, Jordan Palmer is obviously not it. Sam has worked with him for 3 years and has actually regressed rather than progressed. I also think that Sam probably feels too much pressure and puts too much pressure on himself to be a "savior" here. I think he needs to go to a smaller market team, or a West Coast team, or at least a team that doesn't have the sorry history of the Jets, that has a good OL already in place, topnotch skill position players, a good QB Coach, OC and HC. He deserves that chance. If he starts here next year, it will just be more of the same, even with a better team around him and better coaching. He may improve marginally, but that would probably be it. The option for Sam's 5th year would have to be picked up by May. If the Jets pick it up, they'd have to pay him between $21-25 million for that 5th year. In no way is he worth that. If they trade him, they can use the pick or picks they get to address some of those needs, and if they draft a rookie QB, they reset the QB clock regarding the cap. That is the soundest, wisest thing to do fiscally, and from a playing standpoint imo.

I agree with you regarding Maulet. He is a keeper. He always seems to make plays.

I don't think the Browns would part with Hunt, nor do I think that Douglas would have any interest in Hunt due to Hunt's character concerns.

Yes, Herndon is playing better now, but what's to say that next season he won't revert to the lousy way he played for most of this season? I don't think the Jets should count on him or use hope for the TE position. Griffin has given us nothing this year. I don't know if it is the injury he suffered, but think it may be as he said that his body didn't feel the same and didn't think it ever would again. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire. Even if he doesn't, I think the Jets should move on. Wesco was supposedly improved as a receiver in TC, but do you remember many (any?) passes ever being thrown his way? I don't. He's fine to keep as a blocking TE/FB, but I think we need to give whomever our QBs are next season a solid, dependable receiving target. There are 3 very good/great TE prospects in this draft, and several other good ones. Even if its a TE taken in the 4th or 5th round, I think Douglas needs to add another TE to the team.

With regards to Morgan, none of us know what we have with him. He's obviously intelligent as he was in law school, I believe, when he was drafted. He has talent. Gase was in win to save his job mode, so there was no way we were ever going to see Morgan on the field this year short of Sam, Flacco, and Mike White all going down with injuries. Gase admitted that he had failed in developing Sam. Do you really think he spent any time at all developing Morgan? We didn't even have a QB Coach, and I wouldn't want Dowell Loggains trying to teach any of our QBs anything. I trust Douglas' judgment over posters here who have complained about the Morgan pick. We'll have a chance to see what he has in 2021. If he winds up being a bad pick, I'm sure that Douglas will move on.

#102 NCJetsfan, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    tomdeb likes this.
  3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

lol dude you sound so stupid. He threw the ball 75 yards in the air in HS, His best throw is the out and teammates comment on the zip on the ball all the time. Whe he got to PSU they were comparing his arm strength to Haskins. Every single report on him mentions his arm strength. You are completely lost

There is any number of evals on Fields that say the same thing.........http://ninetynineyards.com/2020/11/11/justin-fields-scouting-report-everything-you-need-to-know/

4. jonnyd

5. GasedAndConfused

throing a ball far =/= arm strength. lamaar jackson can chuck it claims to have thrown a ball 100 yards in high school and said he can throw it about 70 now but he doens't have zip to the outside. nobody brought it up with him though. lamaar was better on film then fields and everyone here but me hated him.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You may be right, but if he goes to the pros right now I think he'll have to sit for a year at least, and maybe more. And it's hard to say where he might be drafted given how the QB market is - he could go in the Top 10 (unlikely IMO) or the 2nd round, but one thing's for sure: he will NOT go #1. So I think if he wants the best chance to succeed and make the most money he should transfer to a strong program and improve his stock and his skills.

7. jonnyd

dude he zips outs all day long.....read every single scouting report....you wont find anything but very strong arm....cannon.....above average....big time arm.....

8. jonnyd

9. GasedAndConfused

watch him throw stop reading scouting reports that said josh allen was awful, lamaar is a RB, and mahomes has a chance to be a decent starter. fields is very cam newton/dak prescott like. it's not a bad thing. he has a lot going for him but he's gonna need the right system around him and players around him. His arm is fine. i'm just saying it's not a "strong" arm in the likes of what darnold has. nowhere near a josh allen or jay cutler type. peyton manning and drew brees had weak arms and are both HOFers. my concern with fields is more mental then physical. He is well coached. his throwing technique is beautiful. but he's a 1 read bail guy who is a system QB throwing to wide open WRs. his film isn't great. he's a more mobile baker mayfield on film and I never cared for baker who is starting to look like sanchez. including a nice butt fumble yesterday on 4th and 1 to end the game. I've been right on QBs way too many times on here. not saying I will be right here. I have to see the rest of his games and do more study and combine but i'm not a big fan of this QB class so far at all. i'm leaning pretty hard towards the trade down and stick with darnold and morgan. maybe sign haskins to the PS for competition and bring in a guy like fitzpatrick again

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. jonnyd

Heres a video showing his mechanics and how strong his arm is.......can we stop with the bullshit he doesnt have a strong arm? lololol

11. ColoradoContrails

I absolutely agree with your last sentence! But I still think you're underestimating the impact of those first two years and how it stunted his development. How is he supposed to learn and improve when he's under heavy pressure every snap? Earlier this year there were literally snaps where the rush was in the backfield before he even took three steps! Yes, they eventually improved, but that isn't saying much. I think what we've seen from Sam these past 3-4 weeks is more along the lines of what he should've been allowed to do to start the season but the OL and abysmal weapons wouldn't allow it. This game against the Pats should be very telling. He needs to do at least as well or better than the last 2-3 games or it may mean he's gone for sure. That said, giving him a competent CS and much better weapons might make all the difference. I still believe that Darnold's ceiling is higher than Allen's, but I give credit to Allen and the Bills for really maximizing his potential - that ABSOLUTE OPPOSITE of what the Jets did for Sam.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

13. ColoradoContrails

I agree with all of this, but especially the bolded part. Admittedly I've only seen the NW game and some other video - including his "greatest hits" - but in all of that what I see is what you describe: a 1 read QB who knows he has great wheels and goes to them too quickly. It will take some real effort on the part of him and whoever coaches him to break him of that tendency. And while I expect the Jets OL to be MUCH better next year, if they aren't and he gets anywhere near the pressure that Darnold has gotten, he's going to resort to running quickly just as he does now, but NFL defenders are waaaay faster and stronger than anything he's ever faced.

I really doubt Douglas will take a chance on him given all this because he'd have to use the #2, or another very high pick on him and there's too much uncertainty for a pick that high.

tomdeb and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. jonnyd

dude ive watched every game hes played at OSU, I posted 10 articles and videos for you to watch.....heres another..https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-zach-wilson-and-mac-jones-continue-to-shine/... first thing it says is how his arm stregnth jumps out at you. And th erest of your post here is changing the topic. Just admit you have no idea about his arm strength.....its pretty obvious

15. jonnyd

he is absolutely NOT a run first QB absolutely not.....probably why he threw 55 TDs in two years.
    Look, he may good, great or terrible in NFL like any other prospect but the nonsense that is being spewed on this board is ridiculous.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the OL has been playing better more than just the last 4 games or so, at least the media says that the OL started playing a lot better around game 8-9.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Look I am tired of OSU draft picks too but johnnyd is right about Fields arm. He has the physical tools, it probably is his decision making that needs to improve

18. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

give me Darnold, he played 4 games his rookie season where he showed he had star potential. give him a real coach and use that draft choice to fill some holes. bookending Sewell with Becton for the next 12 - 15 years is enticing. or trade down a bit and go after a wr, cb, or edge rusher.

and can anyone really imagine what would happen if Darnold leaves and becomes a star and we waist this pick on a qb bust? going after TL was a different conversation, imo, Darnold has just as much potential as these other qb's, if not more.

with some o-line continuity, talent around him, and a competent coach I believe Darnold is our best current option.

19. GasedAndConfused

college is so hard to scout for QBs because it's all simplified due to high turnover. systems are made to be easy. plus the defenses aren't great and often Qbs are throwing to wide open guys. I don't see fields make much great throws or decisions. I seem him doing exactly as the play was written up and making the routine throw.
    you are a fan of the college so you are over-hyping the player just like NFL fans do to theirs

edit: your the same guy who didn't like mayfield becuase he was throwing to wide open WRs all the time but fields does it and you love him. I get the homer pick and not saying fields won't be good but his film isn't anything impressive

#119 GasedAndConfused, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  20. ColoradoContrails

I really enjoyed this breakdown. And it certainly has improved my opinion of Fields, BUT...I still have concerns about him tending towards being a "run first" QB, and by that I mean that if his 1st option isn't there he's going to tuck and run, and that's a recipe for failure in the NFL. That said, if they can get him broken of that tendency he might well become a great QB because he certainly has the physical tools. I still want to see how he handles Alabama.

Poeman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.