Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I picked Darnold, but what I'd really pick atm is Darnold/Morgan. I don't think there's a lot with Morgan but JD did draft him, so if Sam goes down again next year I want to see what he has.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think a lot of people are forgetting Fields was QB prospect 1A heading into college. He is not an "ok" QB that all of a sudden broke out in college because of a perfect system. He is the best QB recruit OSU has ever brought in. The Haskins comparisons are just lazy comments by people who saw neither really play in college...not saying you, just in general

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have seen Lance - his highlight reel anyway - and based on that, he's not ready for the NFL. He will require significant development, at least 2-3 years minimum, and if that's the case, I'd rather go with another optin and check the market in 2-3 if necessary.

patleahy likes this.
  4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I always get SUPER CONCERNED with the guys who are hyped SOLELY ON POTENTIAL! I don't want to hear about how "high a guy's ceiling POTENTIALLY IS"....especially if he has serious accuracy issues or difficulty with reading a defense, etc. in college. Those guys have BUST written all over them, yet GMs and coaches talk themselves into drafting them all the time...."well if we can teach him to do this...and teach him to do that...and give him time to study and learn on the bench...blah blah blah." BUST.

#44 patleahy, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  5. patleahy

This 1000%!!! I couldn't have said it any better myself, ColoradoContrails. Get the hell out of here with this "he isn't ready for the NFL now but MAYBE in 2-3 years, IF everything goes just right and IF we can teach him to do this and that and this blah blah ...." BS. I hate when GMs pull that crap ESP with QBs they reach for in the first round!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. patleahy

Allen was more accurate when he was at Wyoming than Lance is, jonnyd. Accuracy wasn't his strong suit BUT he was more accurate than Lance.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Fields is the only one that can make this an easy decision for Douglas. This is a kid that was talented enough and highly regarded enough to have a TV show about his senior season in high school.

Fields has the Ohio St qb stigma and bad last game he’s played working against him right now but I still think he’s QB 2 in this draft and is becoming underrated. I can’t help but think passing on him for flash in the pan Zack Wilson who spent his year beating up on the Westen Kentucky’s of the college football world would be a mistake of epic proportions.

Pepsiguy5, JetsKickAss and jonnyd like this.
  8. jonnyd

Some of you need to reset your thought process also regarding who is draftable at the 2 pick. Just because TL is a "cant miss" and we all had our hearts set on him doesnt mean you cant draft a QB who isnt a "cant miss". I dont think there is a starter in teh NFL today who was considered can't miss is there?

IIMeanDeanII, Pepsiguy5 and REVISion like this.
  9. jonnyd

I havent seen Trey at all so Im no expert but Allen was hugely inaccurate in college and hugely inaccurate in the NFL for two years. He was also labeled as someone who could not read a defense

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson seems to be taking twitter criticism a little hard... Is that concerning?

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don’t agree, maybe one year but it’s hard to say these days. People were wrong on Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Justin Herbert and they were guys I liked so I’m not listening to the crowd anymore on college QBs.

I think he and Fields both have the tools to be top QBs in the NFL with the right coaching...Wilson I just don’t see it and the shoulder issues make it a non-starter for me. Trask is OK but he doesn’t wow me so I’m probably not going there either

I don’t mind punting on QB to 2021 and giving Darnold one last shot

ColoradoContrails and b.reyes16 like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Did something else happen or is it still just the retweets of coach's and players defending him?

13. BrowningNagle

A guy on the internet writes something critical and he floods his account with retweets. Idk, seems a little overly upset by it, IMO.

NYC is gonna be quite a culture shock compared to Utah. I cringe a little for the kid if he comes here. I think he needs to go to a west coast team with fans/media that are nicer to their players. Denver or San Francisco the best fits for him

#53 BrowningNagle, Dec 29, 2020
  14. BrowningNagle

2020 was a whack year for everything, the games were almost like scrimmages anyway.

2019 was a real season and Fields had 50 touchdowns and 1 interception.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Not Darnold lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

94Abraham and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

1 vote so far for Fields is crazy...this kid could easily still be #2.

I also think how Sam plays against Pat's will be important

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration with Sam. I agree a solid QB is essential, but QBs Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have won super bowls, and who ever heard of them? I haven't really researched this much, but would likely vote now to keep Sam for 2021, and move down from second overall in the 2021 draft. The jets need help at WR, RB, CB and edge rusher badly, and should use 2 more picks on OL somewhere. But there is an issue whether they have to exercise an option on Sam for 2022 and I have not researched that or on how much it would be. Also not sure if they can put the transition/franchise tag on Sam after 2021 if he has a HUGE year (which is probably unlikely). Anyway, if pinned down right now, I would roll the dice with Sam next year. Wilson kind of reminds me of ex-jet Rick Meier, picked #2 in the draft behind Bledsoe in 1993 (back to back QBs 1 and 2). A few other random thoughts since I am writing:

1) I think Maulet has done a nice job at safety as a fill-in, and could be a backup safety next year;
    2) I agree with an earlier post of NC that the jets should NOT use the #2 pick on Sewell; I am usually all about drafting on the OL but not back to back 1st rounders when the jets have so many needs.
    3) I had Kareem Hunt of the Browns on a fantasy team this year--was thinking the jets might think about offering a mid round pick for him. Browns would likely refuse, but I think he could be a #1 back for the jets, instead of Chubb's backup. I realize he only has 1 more year on his contract
    4) With Herndon now playing better and with Griffin and Wesco, I would stay away from TE in the draft--I think TE Daniel Brown is worthless--On the opening kickoff game 1 against the bills, he set the tone for the season by committing a penalty, putting the jets in a big hole. Not just for that reason, but he has never shown me much.
    5) I was against the QB Morgan pick in the 2020 draft--did the guy show ANYTHING at all this year in practice?

Now everybody tell me where I am off-track...

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He could be the classic College Superstar QB who goes much much lower than Top 10 or even 1st Round.....like a Geno Toretta.

Is he that much better than McCarron ?

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I put Other. I think we should trade down for picks, keep Sam, and bring in someone else as well. Whether that's Lance if he's still there as a late first rounder or that's a veteran QB like Wentz who we can get for a good price. And then let him compete with Sam for the starting job.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The Jets also have to decide in the spring on Darnold's fifth-year option for 2022 — which will likely be more than $25 million. It seems highly unlikely that they'd commit to that, given Darnold's inconsistent play. So with Darnold playing 2021 on the final year of his contract, it could put the Jets on the hook for a big contract in 2022 if Darnold plays well, or losing him for nothing after this season because his trade value will be gone.

A bit from a article about Sam's salary.

Also Yahoo sports posted this about BYU' WR's. Leads me to ask the question.
    How much was Zach's productivity due to his receivers on the team in that conference?

BYU wide receivers
    We’ve written extensively on QB Zach Wilson, and we’ve even touched on the Cougars’ interesting prospects on the offensive line and on defense.

One spot we’ve not gone into depth on has been wideout. BYU has at least three who could end up getting looks in the NFL: Dax Milne, Gunner Romney and Neil Pau’u.

All three have eligibility remaining, and it would not be surprising to see Romney return to school with his brother, Baylor, who would be a leading candidate to replace Wilson when he vaults to the league.

The 6-1, 190-pound Milne has been Wilson’s security blanket most of the season. He’s a very clean route runner with late separation, and his hands are reliable, sort of in the Cooper Kupp-Jakobi Meyers mold.

Pau’u has helped his cause the most this season. He was arrested for DUI last June and had to be readmitted onto the team after a yearlong suspension. He finished his redshirt junior season with 45 receptions for 603 yards and four TDs, stacking his three biggest yardage games in the final three games of the season.

Pau’u is the most likely of the three to leave early, even if he’s no guarantee to land in the top 100 picks. If they all return to school, the Cougars should be loaded again on offense. Underclassmen running backs Tyler Allgeier and Lopini Katoa, and tight ends Isaac Rex, Carter Wheat and Masen Wake also are expected back, even if the offensive line will suffer heavy losses.

#60 Poeman, Dec 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.