Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Might as well get this out of the way. If you choose other please explain.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Kyle Trask

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I picked Wilson, but have real concerns with his shoulders. I could easily change to "Other" soon. Fields is in play as is Trask. Darnold is a complete non-starter for me. He deserves to go elsewhere, and we deserve a shot at a better QB. I'd rather go with Colt McCoy next season over Darnold. I'm hoping that one of Wilson, Fields, Trask and Lance proves that he is worth taking, if not trading down for a bevy of picks would certainly help build the team, but without a QB, it would be pretty meaningless and make it that much harder to get a QB in 2022 or 2023.

88toon, matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I reset the poll to show who voted for what. Please vote again.

Losmeister likes this.
  5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Thanks Brook, wasn't sure how to do that.

Brook! likes this.
  6. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Wilson HANDS-DOWN.. then Darnold bc I don;t want ANYTHING to do with Justin Fields. We might as well sign Dwayne Haskins if we are seriously considering Fields, lol.

boozer32, Lon Chaney, JetsFan and 9 others like this.
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

8. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

^^This is the correct answer.

boozer32 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold has no opportunity cost for the Jets at this point and he probably has about the same chance to become a good QB as the other two.

None of them has a great chance at this point.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Not sold on the others so spend our draft capital on other positions, see if a new coaching staff can make Darnold into the QB everyone said he was, otherwise we are likely to be bad enough to get a QB next year just as good as Wilson or Fields.

11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It’s so hard to choose. I picked Wilson but really can’t say for certain. I talk to all my non jet friends and they all agree Darnold has nobody. If we stick with Sam another year I’m ok with it too. Just would hate to pass up on a Q if they turn out to be another Deshaun Watson..who is someone btw we should trade for in the future if we don’t adresss qb

12. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

Trey Lance

King Koopa likes this.
  13. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Dak Prescott if not franchised

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

JD can draft a new kid AND keep Sam for his forth year (no 5th). This will let the new kid watch and learn for a while, then take over midway, kind of like what Miami did with Tua and Fitz. If JD feels good enough about the new kid, name him the started at the by and trade Sam before the trade deadline, or just keep Sam throughout the 2021 season.

JD can make his big decision after the 2021 season. Feel good about the new kid? Wish Sam the best. Or be really impressed with Sam? Get Sam to sign a lowball 2-3 yr extension. 2022 can be a repeat, Sam the starter, new kid in year two has another shot. I know the saying: Teams with two QBs have none. But that's true for 2 proven starters. Our case would keeping Sam around as an insurance blanket while trying to develop his replacement.

I hope that if JD doesn't see anything worthwhile he doesn't drafts a QB anyway just to draft a QB. But with JD watching Sam play the last 18 months it's hard to see JD hitching his horse to Sam Darnold covered wagon with some big new contract.

#14 Footballgod214, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Great thread, lol. I'll wait until CFP to make my vote

NoodleArm and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I chose staying with Darnold, and I want to back it up with some food for thought.
    We all agree that Sam has been bad this year, but I also think reasonable people would be willing to concede that there are reasons that go beyond him. Not to excuse his bad play, but to also acknowledge that things like supporting cast, coaching, and playing through injury could contribute to a bad year.

So ... I started to think back to last year, and I remember thinking he looked pretty good overall for a 2nd year starter. To make sure I wasn't delerious I took a look at Brady's early career, and as it turns out, Sam's' 2019 season looks very similar to each of Brady's first three seasons.

Brady year 1 ... 189 YPG / 63.9 comp % / 18 TD - 12 INT / 6.9 YPA / 86.5 rating
    Brady year 2 ... 235 YPG / 62.1 comp % / 28 TD - 14 INT / 6.3 YPA / 85.7 rating
    Brady year 3 ... 226 YPG / 60.2 comp % / 23 TD - 12 INT / 6.9 YPA / 85.9 rating

Those are the numbers Brady put up with one of the greatest coaches the sport has ever seen, and a much better support system. Now take a look at these numbers ...

Sam year 2 ... 232 YPG / 61.9 comp % / 19 TD - 13 INT / 6.9 YPA / 84.3 rating

Other than Year 2 TDs, Sam's numbers last year were certainly comparable to any one of Brady's first three years.
    (Brady also put up very similar numbers in year 6 of his career).

My point obviously isn't to say Sam will ever be in Brady's universe. But the point is ... when did organizations and fans get so impatient? We're talking about a 23 year old kid who's started for less than 3 season, and 90% of the posters on here seem ready to label him as a bust. How do we know that this season won't be the worst season of Sam's career? How do we know that surrounding him with a competent coach, and some elite NFL weapons won't get next year's numbers to look better than last year's numbers ... and then go up from there?

Again, I'm not saying that I like what I saw this year, and at times I want to pull my hair out, but I've seen enough good from him not to give up just yet. I'll ask you to look at last year's games vs Dallas and the Giants as examples. For Christ's sake ... we gave Sanchez a lot more time, and he was less talented. So let's use these picks and build. Get a coach who knows what he's doing, get that monster from Oregon at RT, get a game breaking receiver with the Seattle pick, and let's make sure the TE position won't be a black hole next year. We have the resources to do those things, and maybe we won't need a new QB.

If we do need a new QB, I'm willing to see what the 2022 crop looks like ... because we can't get Lawrence anyway, and more and more I'm thinking it's pretty crazy to put a stamp on anyone's career after 3 seasons. I don't plan on winning the Super Bowl next year anyway, so if there's a way to make the math work, I'm willing to roll with Sam for one more year.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Non-QB pick at #2 and run with a free agent.

At this point Darnold is damaged goods, Fields is exactly the type of QB that the Jets would ruin and projecting Wilson to be NFL-ready is a bigger leap than necessary for a #2 pick.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Right now I have no strong feelings on the matter other than not Darnold. I lean Wilson out of Fields/Wilson but I'm far from sure about it. The shoulder injuries with Wilson are worrisome.

As far as Fields goes I'm concerned about the system he comes from at Ohio State. I think Day has designed that scheme in such a way that it's extremely easy on the QB. Look at the type of numbers Haskins put up there and how poorly he translated to the NFL. Very concerning.

19. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

WILSON!!!! and i dont mean the tennis balls

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Any Jets fan who consider a qb with a shoulder injury must not have been a fan long. I have three words for you...Pennington!
    Although he eventually got his strength back and came back to hurt us his shoulder was a problem.
    Are we tired of problems? Even though anything can happen any given Sunday I just can’t draft a with a major health concern unless it’s round 6 or 7.

jackie1013 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.