#2 Overall Pick Draft Options: 12-27-20

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 27, 2020.

?

Assume the Jets have the #2 overall pick. As of TODAY, what do you want to do:

1. Pick a QB at #2

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Pick a non-QB at #2

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Trade down and grab a QB a bit lower, picking up a draft pick or two

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Trade down and grab a non-QB a bit lower, picking up a draft pick or two

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Thought a poll TODAY and then again in a few weeks after some of the CFP games and the finality of the NFL season would be interesting.

Vote below....I'll create another thread in a few weeks and we'll see if the results change.

#1 JetsKickAss, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I opted for trade down a bit and take a QB. That's the ideal. I don't think, or at least I fear the reality will be very different. I think that if JD lands on one QB he wants and that QB is considered the #2 QB in the draft, he's going to have to take him at #2 or miss him. If he's happy with any of the top 4-5 QBs then he could probably trade down a little, but no further than #4 or #5 or he could miss out on a QB altogether.

By the draft everything could change dramatically. One of the QBs could suffer a serious injury in a bowl game or play horribly and their stock drop like a rock. After the Combine, interviews, personal workouts (assuming we have them), and new HCs hired, Lance or Trask could move up and Wilson and Fields could drop and team's wish lists could change. It's going to be interesting.

#2 NCJetsfan, Dec 27, 2020
  3. JetsKickAss

Sound reasoning as always, NCJ....I actually haven't voted on my own poll !! :D I haven't decided yet. I'm gonna ponder this as I watch the Jets game and vote by 4 PM.

As of now, I really don't have any strong leanings towards any of my own choices. Maybe that's why I created this thread....to see what my fellow Jets fans think. :D

#3 JetsKickAss, Dec 27, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As NC "ideally" I'd like to be able to trade back and get a QB I love, but in today's QB-driven league this is a risky bet. It all depends on how much Douglas believes a QB would be a great fit for the team he's building. If he feels he really needs someone like Wilson or Fields he needs to take them at #2 IMO. but if he can make someone like Trask or Lance or someone else work well then he can probably afford to trade back a little bit, but probably not past #10 and even then there would be risk involved.

Again, I suspect that Douglas does not have a particular QB that he's depending on to make the team successful. I think he's trying to build a team that can win even with a mediocre QB, and thus will be quite willing to trade back for the right amount of incentive and either take a QB he sort of likes later or waits on getting one until next year or the year after. It's not my preference, but I do trust his knowledge and judgment.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I chose "Pick a QB at #2".

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

As of today, I voted for trade down and non QB. Because currently, in my mind we need more skill players (Chase Waddle or Smith) would be lovely.

When we fire Gase and hire a new HC, I want to be fully behind whoever that new HC wants at QB. That might be one of the other top 3 in the draft. So I will probably change my vote at that time

6. JetsKickAss

I think I voted option #2 -- draft a non-QB at #2. It has the asterisk next to it.

Sorry for being a bit obtuse on this....I rarely create polls and forgot how they work a bit.

FWIW, I think all of your reasonings are solid and you could easily sway me. I really don't have alot of conviction here. Maybe in a few weeks after the CFP.

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Do we know which Q/B's have declared for the draft yet? The NCAA have stated that this season will not count again seasons played, so all the Q/B's including seniors could go back and play in college next year

#7 Leicester Jet, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NYJFOREVER and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. matt robinson 17

I keep Flacco and draft Zach Wilson

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I haven't voted. I would definitely be looking to trade down at this point. The Jets would look significantly better with an influx of serious talent. The best way to this would be to have as many premium draft picks as possible. They have 3 in the top 50 currently and could make that 4 or maybe 5 by trading down.

I won't try to second guess JD on whether he thinks one of these should be a QB. If he believes in Wilson or Fields or someone else it should be, if he doesn't then it shouldn't. Regardless of QB the priority has to be OL (interior especially), RB, skill positions, edge and CB in the off season. Sort those out via draft and FA and the Jets look much more competitive.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

There wasn’t an option to trade up so I went with trade down and take a non QB.. I’m liking taking Gregory Rousseau more and more now.. I have a feeling Miami will want him too and they have a top 5 pick as of now.

13. JetsKickAss

There was no option to trade up because it's not happening unless TL says he won't play in Jax/London or doesn't declare.

14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I have no idea. We need talent. Guys like Goff, Wentz, etc. would also suck here so I don't want to give up on Sam. I just don't know if we take the chance to start again with a low paying QB for the next few years? Problem is we would also lose on out on premium picks aka Swewll or Jamar Chase.

Trading down and taking flyers on QB's should not happen if we know our guy is there. I don't ever want to live through a Hackenberg or see WF Team with Haskins like situation. My gut tells me take Zac Wilson at 2.

It's either Darnold+one big FA+Jamar Chase+IOL Rookie

or

Wilson+2 FA+BPA(WR/RB/TE)

I'd probably opt for the latter.

#14 WoodyHarrelson, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  15. wellemann

wellemann Member

My feeling is, that another year with Darnold would be an 8-8 season or worse.

That is another draft and free agency to build the team. And then perhaps draft a qb in 2022. If a good one is there.

I think Gase broke Darnold so he will never be great.

If you know that, then its simple: Draft a new qb that can be great. Let him sit behind Darnold until he and the team is ready.
    EDIT: And if Darnold is actually good next year behind improved O-line and with receivers, then you trade him. He will be worth more then

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

For all the people who keep saying trading down the not so simple questions are: with whom are you trading, how far down are you willing to go, and what do you think you are going to get in return?

Presumably if you're trading with someone for the number teo pick they need a quarterback and they love either Zach or one of the other ones. So which team is that? and what would you expect for the number two pick? Because I don't see many teams with the ammunition to get up to the number two pick to be honest with you.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Ideal would be trade down a bit, grab an additional 2nd/3rd rounder, and still get Fields or Wilson. Not opposed to just taking Fields or Wilson at 2 though, can be dangerous to trade down too much and there's always a run on QB's.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To trade out of the #2 spot would require AT LEAST an additional Round 1 pick this year, plus maybe a 2 and possibly another pick or two next year depending on how far back they're trying to move up from.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. LRJets

LRJets New Member

I was disappointed we're not getting Trevor. However, I enjoyed yesterday's win because, hey-been awhile!
    I also feel some talent was out there in Jets green yesterday! I like Sam, good guy, tough, non-whiner, and a team guy. I'm just afraid his stats are at best, average. (These southern California quarterbacks!) He did play mistake-free yesterday.
    This is why I'm not an analyst or a G.M. Just a long suffering Jets fan.

20. matt robinson 17