New York Jets Officially Have #2 Pick in NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by tooooon, Dec 27, 2020.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am a HUGE justin fields fan. saw him on qb1 this past summer and just really like the kid and his attitude as a high school player. much more so than any of the other kids that have been on the show. that said, i havent been a huge fan of his play this year, maybe its the covid who knows. but ill leave it up to the gm to decide and ill trust in that decision.

i was just looking at the draft board currently, i think that fields may end up getting interest in a trade up but to whom?

miami
    atlanta
    cinci
    philly
    detroit
    giants
    carolina
    denver

miami, cinci, philly, giants are probably all set. is atlanta ready to move on from matt ryan? fields is a georgia kid and that may be the spot. outside of them were looking at maybe detroit if theyre ready to move on from stafford or carolina and denver who both have a need at the position but its way down the board and would cost them a shit ton and that might make it prohibitive for them.

on a side note our 1 from seattle will be 20 something at the best depending on how seattle does in the playoffs. this could be an interesting few months for the jets and they have some interesting decisions to make regarding where this team is going in the next 5 years.

#1 objective fire that asshole gase next monday, if they dont make that decision properly the rest is moot.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s gotta be a combo. All I know is if they take a tackle at 2, our strategy isn’t a good one.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Folks are indeed dreaming of the Jet OL from the good old days. I can see a combo if the opportunity presents itself. At #2, take the best fit for your biggest need. You can do BPA in the later rounds IF there's a glaring need for that position. Say, CB's, LB, etc. JD has a pivotal decision with this pick. I suspect he's leaning towards rolling with Sam another year as he already drafted Morgan last year. It wouldn't surprise me if he drops back a few spots in the first round and garners more middle round picks like say, additional second and thirds..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Yea because they built a damn dynasty around him. Obviously he’s a hell of a player but fields needs weapons, so does Sam, so at that point why not stick with Sam?

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is the only footage I've seen of Lance to date. Of course I need to look at a lot more video and no offense meant, but based on just the first minute of this video, I don't see how anyone could possibly think he is a Deshaun Watson clone or worth even a 4th draft pick. So far, the only things he has going for him are prototypical size and a very strong arm. The first 6 plays were as follows:

1. Went through his progression, but then made a horrible throw, too high and too wide of his intended receiver.
    2. Was being pressured, but still missed his receiver by 20 yards or more. His WR was wide open and all he had to do was loft it up, let his WR run under it, and it's a TD. Instead he throws it too hard, with no touch.
    3. No feel for pressure and a rusher knocks the ball out of his hand. Turn over.
    4. Questionable completion, but again it was a horrible throw, thrown on a rope with no touch, and he was lucky his WR got a foot down (supposedly).
    5. Attempted screen pass. Yet again a horrible, inaccurate throw, with no touch.
    6. Made a pretty good throw on the run across his body. The WR should have caught it as it hit his hands, but the throw was a little high.

6. WoodyHarrelson

Taking Zac Wilson if we do. Look at Josh Allen’s college stats. Awfull. But people knew he had a good arm and was mobile (like Wilson)

7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

yeah Im baffled by that one too...

Seattle has been one of the better teams in the league, year in, year out Russell Wilson has been a top 5 Qb...

Now I understand why he said I don’t know what I’m talking about when judging Qb’s...
    super underwhelming game by Lance. First 4 minutes he misses almost all his throws, balls batted down, sacks... The only time he throws TD’s are when his guys are wide open. He’s obviously the best athlete in the field and it shows when he runs the ball, still playing Qb means you need to be able to throw the ball - bad Int 6 minutes in... this was pretty painful to watch, had to force myself to make it through the whole video.

alleycat9 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. SoylentGreen

Wilson is nothing like Josh Allen. If the two of them stood next to each other, it would look like the movie twins. Wilson is more polished, his
    college stats unlike Allen are great. He’s closer to a poor man’s Mahomes (25 lbs lighter and much less arm talent). 2nd pick? He’s got a build like Brady did coming in, doesn’t look like be ever touched a weight in his life... he’ll need to light it up in workouts + interviews to go that early imo.

Could happen, but if I were a betting man, I would say nope.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This season isn’t even over yet and I’m already getting flashbacks to last draft season. Now maybe I will be as wrong as I was with Becton but if you draft “need“ then you can argue that our biggest need is wide receiver right now. There are some pretty friggin good ones that will be available at two and will probably be available a couple picks later should we choose to trade down.

10. WoodyHarrelson

Fair enough. I am glad we have a new GM who had a good year 1 draft to make these decisions. JD has the million dollar question to answer.

11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Hm, I actually found him pretty arrogant. Guess it's hard not to be if you're the top QB recruit in the country and featured on a netflix special

REVISion likes this.
  12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure where they go right now. QB is obviously a need, whether Darnold is here or not. But I'm not sure if I'm comfortable going QB at 2.

There is a superstar OT there for the taking. Combine that with signing Thuney and the offensive line could be one of the best in the league. Teams are built from the inside-out, and this would make both the offensive lines and defensive lines damn good.

Having said that, do you take a RT number 2? Do you move Becton to RT? Eventually the bill will come and the OL becomes very expensive. For a team like the Jets, this is far from the worst problem to have. A strong line makes everything better. I could understand if the Jets didnt want to do that.

Do you go WR or Pass Rusher at 2? Personally I wouldnt. I dont think I could take a defensive player at 2, and it feels a bit early to take a WR, especially with the QB position kind of in flux.

It seems like a great opportunity for the Jets to trade down a few spots. Pick up some extra picks and continue to bolster the team everywhere.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hear ya on Rex, but ULTIMATLEY we need a team that can beat the Chiefs with Mahomes in the AFCCG. If we never can, than nothing else really matters. And if our new QB with a offensive minded HC can't beat Mahomes throwing downfield, then we BETTER have a defense that can beat Mahomes in the pocket. And for this, I choose Rex Ryan.

Rockinz likes this.
  14. SoylentGreen

He hurt the right shoulder in HS, and eventually had to labrum surgery. I read an article from 2019
    that said -

“Wilson, in his interview with BYU Sports Nation, added that he also has a torn labrum in his left shoulder that will eventually require surgery.”

I don’t know if he ever had the surgery, but these are red flags to his durability + in general it’s not like a bone that heals back stronger, it’s
    compromised somewhat... doesn’t mean he can’t have a normal career, just maybe at higher risk.

REVISion, Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. SoylentGreen

I’m not really a cap guy, I just saw the contracts and how they all escalate in the coming years...
    I have no idea how KC plans to pay but I assume they will keep the key players and reload everywhere else.

The nice thing when you are Jets fan, you never really need to worry about keeping the key players... :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You might be spot on. With the resurgence of interior pass disruptors (like Quinnen Williams, Arron Donold, and more) talented interior guards are getting paid big bucks. Two top guards would benefit us much more (any team really) than another top tackle to pair with Becton.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks! That is definitely a big concern.

18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

People say there’s no clear #2 but that always changes throughout the pre-draft process. Between combine and interviews 1 or more guys always jump up. Herbert is a perfect example of that last year.

Just find one example of a team successfully drafting back to back positions high in the first round that is not QB or Pass-Rusher.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

KC will always be able to do things differently because Mahomes is an absolute game breaker and took a super strange contract. Plus if Becton and Sewell are as good as expected then bothe will be making Tunsil money or better, not $11 million a year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

People are trying to find flaws that don't exist with Fields because he's had a couple bad games this year.

He has an NFL arm and is a great athlete with excellent open field speed. He needs to work a bit on his lateral but he's so big and strong that he can shrug pocket arm tackles.

Borat likes this.