Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

So your defense for Sam is he doesn’t miss “checkdowns”? I mean, anyone of us can throw a 2 yard wide open checkdown. That really isn’t saying much. These last 4 weeks shown that Sam is exactly what Sanchez was, a game manager. The numbers speak for themselves. Is this type of Qb worth 15mill a year for?

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

How about that play yesterday where Darnold gave Cleveland a gift and let them keep their timeout?

All season long were the ones behind and he takes the sack when he shoulda thrown it away to save the timeout. Tables are turned, miraculously were ahead, and THIS time he throws the ball away instead of taking the sack, saving the other team a time out. Unbelievable

Darnold has poor awareness. He's making rookie mistakes and its the end of year 3

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

He should have had 3 INT's, let alone the fact he didn't even throw to Mims since Ward had him so covered all game lol

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Makes the same mistakes he made in his rookie year and has no situational awareness.

Fans are applauding a guy who is completing 50% of his passes because he “didn’t turn the ball over” meanwhile he has multiple turnover worthy plays a game.

REVISion likes this.
  5. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I didn’t say the league, but the Jets don’t do it....I think it’s stupid to wait but I also don’t agree with a lot of actions by the Johnsons...

6. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Pretty laughable to read. How many bad passes did Mayfield have, how many fumbles, against a 1-13 team... guys act like the other team doesn’t play defense. has a the best d lineman and shutdown corner in the game arguably...

Sam played without his top WRs multiple times times this year.

remember Sam is still throwing to Braxton Berrios, Mims and Perriman. Crowder is the only playmaker on offense. He’d be the only starter on the Browns. the rest of the guys wouldn’t even touch the field. Yes Mims as a rookie too.

7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

On the bright side in the last 4 games -

Darnold has mostly played well - 6 tds - 1 int

The Jets won 2 games (against playoff teams) + really should have won that Raiders game except for the Hail Mary...

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Sam has been awful. This idea that he has nothing around him is old and played out. He has a solid cast outside the run game but thats largely due to gase and his use of frank gore.

Hes missed guys left and right, hasnt eclipsed 250 yards all season i believe, fact check me on that please, and still cant read the field. He has not played well. He jsut hasnt played that bad. Make no mistake defense won these two games not darnold.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No you are correct Zace. 230 passing yards in a 37-28 loss to Denver on October 1st is Darnold's season high. Yes, 230 is a season high for an NFL QB in 2020. That's so bad its rare.
    --

Darnold has started 37 NFL games and eclipsed 300 passing yards only 4 times and..... 400? forget about it. Zero times.

For comparison everyone on this site hated on Josh Allen, calling him a "running QB" and "inaccurate". Allen has 5 300 yard passing games and 2 400 yard passing games in just 14 games this season. But to be fair I think its the experts on twitter and PFF that owe the world an apology there

#1449 BrowningNagle, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    NYJFOREVER, REVISion and zace like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It wasn't a 'blatant' mistake. I bet $100 it never occurred to you at the time he threw it away. All you're doing is repeating what you heard the announcers say. QBs are coached every day to throw it away and NOT take a sack. But yes, this was a quirk that hopefully Sam realizes in the moment, but he didn't. And neither did you ;)

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I cant even badmouth josh allen, and it isnt just the talent around him, hes played better.

Sam just isnt evem close at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am completely fine with wanting to move on from Sam, and I may be in that boat too, but the posts acting like he played bad yesterday are ridiculous. He was fine and the Jets won. People reach for no reason.
    I'm fine with all of those thoughts and they might be true, but I keep seeing all these posts like he played horrendous yesterday and he clearly did not. That is what I am talking about. Like I said, I am pretty sure it was just the fans that wanted Lawrence and are now realizing they may be stuck with Sam. No reason to act that way though.
    His play wasn't embarrassing at all though. What are you talking about? He had 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. Literally TRUCKED over a Browns linebacker. He had a good day. It wasn't perfect, but a solid performance that resulted in a win.

KWJetsFan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Footballgod214

If you want to beat Sam up there's plenty of games this season to do it. You should probably leave alone his games against Raiders, Rams, and Browns. Sam was handed a conservative ball control game plan he executed to perfection. Especially against the Browns who were down their starting WRs....this game was never going to turn into a shoot out. This was a methodical (boring) ball control type game. Rams had the #1 overall defense, Browns the #4. Keeping Sam upright and controlling the ball was the plan, and it worked.

In addition to the Raiders game, Sam played good enough to win the Miami and Pats games (both close losses). After next week, Jets could EASILY have been 5-11, about where we thought we should be when the schedule came out and the Jets had the hardest schedule with the most travel miles.

Look, if Joe Douglas sees a QB in the draft that has potential, then by all means draft him, even if he keeps Sam for his 4th season (no 5th). But Sam has beaten Derrick Carr*, Jarrad Goff, and Baker Mayfield so we COULD be a lot worse off. I think Joe WILL upgrade the QB spot this year or next, and Sam will move on to another team where he'll be a good to above average game manager.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Since JD already drafted Morgan last year, I can see him rolling with Sam one more time and the new HC (God willing there is one..), will get a fair look at who the backup Qb should be. I'm not sure Morgan even had a locker this year as Gase rolled with his buddies from the Miami days at back up most times only carrying 2 QB's.

K'OB likes this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

What are you talking about ? You said the anti-Sam takes on this board are embarrassing. I was addressing that comment. What does anything I said have to do with yesterday? Yeah, he played "fine" yesterday. It is pretty sad that we are happy with him playing just, "fine".

REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Sam didn't play vs the Pats. And which Miami game are you talking about? The one where we lost 20-3 or the one where we lost 24-0?

Some people on this board man.. LOL

bicketybam and Footballgod214 like this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think what's more embarrassing is that half of our fanbase still doesn't realize that 50% completion, 200 yards and 2 TD's isn't a good game in the modern NFL.

This isn't the 90's everyone. Sam's numbers are bad by modern passing standards.

NYJFOREVER and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Lmao Baker didn't have his top 4 WR's yesterday. There is a big difference between Sam throwing to subpar WR's and Baker literally not having any WR's to throw to.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was talking about the takes from yesterday's game being embarrassing. All the negative reactions. I think they were mostly due to losing out on Lawrence. I thought you were adding to it by saying his play yesterday was embarrassing when it wasn't, but you were not.
    It's not good, but this entire offense is not good, led by Adam Gase. It is fair to wonder what the next Head Coach would be able to do with Sam. Also fair to want to move on. That is all I am saying.

20. Footballgod214

lol my years are getting mixed up. But Sam played great in the ghost game! (not)

dawinner127 likes this.