CP Vrs. Joe Theisman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blevins, Dec 26, 2006.

1. blevins

blevins New Member

Since Joe and the crew were so critical of Chad's arm strength I thought it wouud be nice to compare the career stats of the two Qb's.
    Numbers are: This season Chad - Career Chad - Career Joe
    1) QB Rating 81.7 - 89.2 - 77.4
    2) TD/INT 16/16 - 71/46 - 160/138
    3) YPA 7.0 - 7.3 - 7.0
    4) YPG 213.0 - 196.9 - 150.9
    5) Completion % 64.0 - 64.9 - 56.7

Joe is a HOF College Player, a Heisman winner, a 1983 AP NFL MVP and pro bowl MVP. He is rated as one of the top 70 Redskins ever. He played on great Washington teams. But if you compare stats you'll see clearly that, noodle armed or not, Chad has been a better QB in his career (and this year) than Joe in every measureable individual statistic. Yet we complain endlessly about Chad's main shortcoming - a weaker than average arm - while neglecting all of the positives his smarts, work ethic, accuracy, team-first attitude, and presence brings to our team. The guys a winner; yet we complain.

2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

They were critical of Chad's arm strength because his arm strength is awful. That isn't a bash on Pennington, but just the simple truth. Many days he can make up for it, and some days he cannot.

3. NamathDays

NamathDays New Member

Old stats vs new stats....hmmm...not sure if the comparision is fair....but I will say this about Theisman....he continues to talk like broken wind-up doll.

4. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

The Jets should play a loop of Theisman's leg getting snapped.

5. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Trying to be objective here. I think there was an awful lot of thruth to what Joe T said about CP, the quarterback. He just didn't have to say it 100 times.

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Lawrence Taylor.

7. steviep

steviep Active Member

8. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Thanks for the comparison...I would have thought JT's #s would be better than they are. Your point about ignoring all Chad's positives is a great one, I think. If arm strength were more important than "smarts" Browning Nagle would be in the HoF.

VERY few QB's could step in and run this offense as successfully as Chad has in his first year in the system. I can live with the arm because of everything else he brings to the table...his other abilities are much rarer than most realize.

9. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

That about sums it up right there

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

His arm strength is not the strongest, but the MNF crew was crazy insulting him.

He was playing in his 15th straight game in the pouring rain.

With normal arm strength like he has, it goes down severely.

Not seeing this is odd in some fans and the MNF crew.

11. blevins

blevins New Member

To steviep - Goes to show that although we love Joe Willie and the promise he kept to win the Super Bowl he was hardly a dominant QB throughout his career. But we remember the good years he had because they brought so much glory to the JETS (and made me and my dad a fan of them too).
    You might rather have this strong armed guy than Chad too!
    Rating 53.5 - TD/INT 8/20 - YPA 5.7 - Completion % 48.7
    His name is Browning Nagle. Strong Arm but no feel for the game - One of those intangibles that makes Chad a success despite average arm strength.

12. steviep

steviep Active Member

Not only that we love JWille -- BUT he is a hall of famer -- which means he was of the greatest of ALL TIME. He is a hall of famer not only because he won SBIII or b.c of the "persona" but because in football, unlike baseball, you have to watch the games -- you cant just look at stats.

If you just look at stats you think that Weinke had a great game against the giants a few weeks ago.

13. TBrown33

TBrown33 New Member

Am I the only one that thought that Theisman wasn't so bad? As far as I'm concerned, it's fuckin Kornheiser that was the douchebag with comments like "my daughter can throw harder." It seemed like it was Kornheiser who was the one who was just being a douchenozzle.

14. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

i've heard a lot of bitching about the broadcasters. who cares. they were speaking the truth... those throws were not good! they also gave chad credit as well for being a winner, and being a capable NFL quarterback. let's face it guys, hes not a gunslinger... you can't get angry at people for pointing that out.