Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We'd be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th for Sam.

We are not getting a 1 for him.

REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I guess he hasn’t played well enough for that the last few games...

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

11 games played 3 games over 200 yds mind boggling in a league where every QB throws for 300 yds a game

REVISion likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Gase with a half time lead, coaches not to lose in the second half, same old same old, it isn't Sam's fault that, he has plenty of faults but he can't be blamed for the wank playcalling by our 'genius' HC/OC

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

For those of you who want Bill Cowher to be the next HC of the Jets, I just heard him say that Darnold should not only be back with the Jets, but that they should pick up his 5th year option. That completely rules Cowher out for me.

6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Oh, there definitely has been outside of Andrews and Elflein. McGovern has really stepped it up these last few weeks and so has Fant (outside of Seattle game). Becton has had had iffy games in pass protection against Seattle and today but he is stud in the run game.

jetstopgun likes this.
  7. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Gase might get to stay just on that crowder trick play alone. That’s where the offenses are going, to using your WR because your QB can’t get the ball down field to them.

8. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

He’s just clowning the fan base.

9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Heard the same thing. Cowher has 0 clue about todays NFL. This isn’t him coaching Kordell Stewart and winning games with just the defense anymore

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not if they bring back Gase.

jetstopgun and AJW like this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Dope

12. ColoradoContrails

There's no law that says we can't keep Sam and draft Wilson or Fields (or some other QB).

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Boomer Esiason wants the Jets to be successful, and he said the same thing. They've both lost their minds.

REVISion likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Can someone figure this out?? The only trend I can see is that maybe last 10 years best QBs are in First Round:

Mahomes was drafted at 10 Lamar Jackson 32nd pick J Allen at 7th rnd D Watson drafted 12th overall,,,,,OTOH Darnold has sucked and Baker M semi decent for 1 and 2

Drew Brees 2nd Rnd first pick

Russell Wilson 3rd round 12th pick

And the GOAT Tom Brady 199th pck

So No Trevor Lawrence is bad ..but but but
    If Joe Douglas is as good as Andy Reid in selecting QBs we have nothing to worry about

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. JetsCuseYanksFan

That’s what I’m thinking. We keep Sam and draft a quarterback in the first round (may need to move back or up with our first round picks) and then let Sam / New Quarterback battle it out. Reminds me of having Bridgewater and trading him for a 3rd. As we get into camps we might get a better pick for Sam. And if he beats out our New Quarterback that works too. Bottom line, Gase needs to go to see if Sam has any redeeming value / ability to play consistently well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ColoradoContrails

Contrary to all the trashing of Darnold he wasn't terrible today as many predicted. He wasn't great for sure, but he did win and he had no turnovers. TBH I was hoping that he'd be as good or better than last week, and he wasn't. He was "okay". A truly good - not great, but good - QB would've led the Jets on a long clock eating drive in the 4th qtr. and instead he went three and out and the Browns proceeded to score a TD on their next possession. And an above average QB would've been able to score a TD to salt the win instead of having to settle for a FG and keep the Browns having a chance to tie (or win with a 2 pt. conversion). Because of these shortcomings my assessment as of now is that Darnold is a backup...what he did today is what you would expect a decent backup to be able to do. That said, he's 23 and has not had any decent coaching - in fact, Gase virtually undermined him by sticking to a system and play calling that was not fitted to Darnold's strengths! - and marginal talent around him for three years, so with that in mind I still think he has potential to become a decent starting QB.

Bottom line: If I were Douglas I would be looking at Darnold as my backup QB, with a small possibility of him winning the starting job against the rookie I'm going to draft. I'm going to ask Sam to agree to take a pay cut based on his performance, but put in incentives for him to earn more if he wins the job. I'm then going to draft his replacement - for me that's Wilson, but IDK who Douglas might favor.

jetstopgun, JetsCuseYanksFan and K'OB like this.
  17. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Lot’s of good California boys out there Brook.

18. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Justin Fields is this generation's "Akili Smith" lol

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

You can Argue that Geno Smith was a better QB....he went 8-8 throwing to the worst group of recivers in NFL history.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

To me, I'm pretty much past the point of wanting Darnold back.

IMO, he has not shown enough in his 3 years here to warrant another shot. The issue is, if you bring him back and give him another year, you're also assuming you won't be picking that high in the draft again.

We will be selecting 2nd overall, so Joe has got to be 100% certain he wants to keep Sam and I truly am not sure if he feels that way. We also have to take into account that Joe has not cemented his mark on the Jets yet, and with Sam not being a handpicked QB, Joe could use this as an opportunity to put his mark on the team.

Meaningless wins versus Rams, Browns and potentially Patriots next week does little to move the needle for me. Gase is a terrible coach but great players find a way to play well no matter who's calling the shots. Sam's footwork is awful, pocket presence is lacking, and he's just skiddish.

To bring him back you will need to find a HC who will want to take on the reclamation project that is Sam Darnold.