Another QB possibility

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Dec 20, 2020.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There will be other veteran QBs to choose from in free agency.

We might also be able to get one for a third round pick or less in a trade.

Also, we can keep Sam Darnold without picking up his option, we are still free to sign him for a lower price if he agrees to it.

2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to this. If Joe Douglas isn't in love with any of the QB's below TLaw then taking a player like Wentz on a 'show me' deal seems win/win.

If he gets back to where he was then we got a FQB and all our high picks if not more from a trade down to use around him. If he bombs then we're back in the QB stakes next year with a much better support team.

Only other option I see is taking a bridge QB like Alex Smith, Fitz or Dalton as a prelude to gving Morgan some game time before we begin the search again.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Those who want to see a possible alternative QB aside from Lawrence can tune into ESPN now and see Zach Wilson who is lighting it up.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Now I understand why you like Wilson so much. The Coastal Carolina game must have been an anomaly. To be fair, BYU didn't find out about the game until Wednesday, only had 2 days to prepare, then had to come cross country, arrived late, and didn't get a lot of rest.

#84 NCJetsfan, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Let him test himself out on free agency and see if he gets a 25m a year offer.

He wont as his stats show him as a bottom 5 QB yes still with promise but promise doesnt get you legit QB wages.

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

jameis in ny would be an unmitigated disaster

Jets79, REVISion, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

8. NCJetsfan

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Im feeling more and more like we should draft Zach Wilson at #2.He had an impressive showing at his bowl game.This kid could be a big time player eventually.

10. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

no qbs from southern california ( usc or ucla) or ohio state. byu has much better history than either one of those.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

unless the morons that own the Jets decide to hire the next coach instead of letting the GM make the decision.

God forbid those owners bring back Gase ( he deserves to get a 3rd year cause we knew it was a total rebuild when we hired him) !

12. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I feel JD has to take a QB at 2 , Either Wilson or Fields. I was thinking about it today and the Jets with the exception of the Jaguars have had the worst qb play in the NFL in the last ten yrs. How can you not draft a qb when the current qb has been responsible for 3 yrs of production. JD is caught in a tight spot. He needs a qb. Sewell could be an all-time great, but if you pick Sewell it is either he or Becton for only 5 yrs. If they both become greats you can only afford 1 of them on a second contract. Without a good QB we are not even sniffing the playoffs Plus qb is the most important position on your team , on a team that has stuck out and missed on so many qbs, with a great pick for the second-best qb in the draft you need to make the pick

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem with Wentz is that there is no prove it deal available. He has cap hits of $34 million, $31 million and $36 million from 2021-2023. He's somewhat cuttable in 2023 but that comes with a brutal $15 million cap hit.

And while you likely won't have to give up a lot because everyone and their mother knows that the Eagles need to trade him, but you'll also have to maybe give up a draft pick. You might be able to get a draft pick to take the contract. But if you make a move for him, you're committed to him as your guy for realistically the next three years.

A good cap guy might be able to renegotiate his deal and convert some of it into signing bonus.

It wouldn't be a good move for the Jets under those circumstances. Although the Browns did something similar and got picks for taking Osweiler's deal a while back and just cut him. I believe it was a lot less guaranteed money though.

14. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

want nothing to do with wentz.......

15. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The Osweiler-Browns deal was what I had in mind.

Media types are telling us to look across the field and see hope in the Browns revival but that was a 2 season affair of pain and the Osweiler deal was part of the year 1 rebuild where they got Garret as well as Peppers, Njoku and Ogunjobi and built the team whilst waiting for their QB (although they did also take a punt of Kizer).

I feel we need a similarly good draft class to get us somewhere near competitive and rather then use our cap space on multi-year deals for FA's I'd be okay with swallowing and maybe reworking Wentz if it generates an extra pick or two and use them on the less flashy positions of need.

16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I can see him going into Tiffany's and helping himself to some diamond necklaces and $30,000 rings and then walking out without paying for them. :D

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Ownership realizes just how much the fanbase despises Gase. Bringing him back again would be tantamount to suicide for the team's fanbase as many fans would simply walk away from the Jets. If the Johnsons like the look of an MetLife stadium where there are more of the other team's fans than Jet fans, let them bring Gase back and see what happens. Complete and total fan revolt will occur.

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Prepare to be disappointed tomorrow by Sam. A lot of what we think will be found out tomorrow. No reason he shouldn’t come out and play well against a good Browns D. Time to let the training wheels off. If he stinks it up, week 17 may be pointless as we know NE is out. May be the final exam for Sammy boy tomorrow or else I’d expect Zac Wilson or a stopgap QB next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I believe more fans here will be disappointed if Sam actually plays well and relieved if he doesn't so they can make their case stronger. Of course if Sam excels the excuses will abound, such as the Browns had a let down, they were looking ahead to the last game, Brown coaches really screwed up, to little too late, Sam only had 200 yards and one touch down, etc, etc etc. Essentially the same excuses used for the game against the Rams. In the end it will mean nothing, because we will draft one or two no matter what, and its up tp JD and the new coach to decide who the next QB will be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.