Sam vs. Fields: Both Rate The Same, Who Do You Want ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Eating the same is almost meaningless when one is being rated against NFL talent and the other against college kids.

hobgoblin likes this.
  2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

At this point im game for Matt Hasselback or go and find Curtis Painter...All better options then Sam.Maybe even give Matt Simms a call...Who even cares at this point.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

sam and the picks

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm still in favor of taking Lawrence if they can, or even Wilson or one of the other QBs because I have real concerns whether Darnold can be resurrected after the shit he's had to deal with for 3 years. That said, even if the Jets took a QB this draft, none of them should start Season 1, including Lawrence. That's exactly what screwed Sam up. Given that, the Jets need a competent - not great - QB to be the starter unless the rookie does manage to demonstrably outplay him in T.C. So rather than take on another vet who they can't know how he'll fit into whatever system they plan on using, it makes sense to keep Darnold.

Also, there's another reason to keep Sam: it's still possible that he blossoms into the FQB he was drafted to be. I can already hear the howls from the Darnold Haters here, and I agree that the odds are against this, but they aren't impossible. Looking back at all the successful/great QBs in the NFL, almost every one of them took 3 or more years to start succeeding, and a few actually were cut from their original teams and then went on to great success. Jim Plunkett, Kurt Warner, and the most amazing to me is Steve Young. Young sucked way worse than Darnold his first two years in the NFL with Tampa Bay and they traded him to the 49'ers where he became a backup to Joe Montana for another 5 years. So, after 7 years in the NFL, and two years before that in the USFL),9 years as a pro he becomes the starter because Montana gets seriously hurt. Young goes on to become the top rated QB 4 times, and wins a SB and was league MVP twice! I'm not saying that Darnold is as good as Young - Young was way more accurate, but Young was also way more accurate than almost any other QB in history - but I think that after only 3 years, years in which the coaching and talent sucked and he had to learn two new systems, that it's too soon to say he sucks so bad he's hopeless.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible that Sam improves and becomes good enough to be our long term solution. We're just saying that statistically, if you look at what usually happens to QB's who start their careers like Sam, there's like a 95% chance he won't improve in a meaningful way.

Plus it's not like starting him for another year is without cost. The opportunity cost is real, there's a chance he could decrease his trade value even more next season. We might be able to get a 3rd rounder for Sam currently. That's probably a 6th or 7th at best if he has another season like his first 3.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bold is where your 'logic' falls apart. How many rookie QBs start their careers working with a terrible offensive CS and sub-NFL talent, especially on the OL, and then have to learn an entirely new system with an even shittier CS and equally bad talent? No, it's not unusual for rookie QBs to be drafted by poor teams who provide that same terrible environment, but many times they actually improve those problems rather than continue them. And for those times when those shitty teams do what the Jets have done, their rookie QBs usually wash out. If you don't grasp the massive impact that these conditions have had on Darnold's development I don't know what to say.

And you're also vastly underestimating Darnold's value even now. Competent QBs are always in demand, and even with his struggles, most teams would consider Darnold competent at least, and potentially much better than that. If the Jets aren't offered at least a high 1st rounder, or a low 2nd and another mid round pick, the Jets should keep him and rework his contract.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Pass on the eating part

prefer not

8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Sam is up against the wall, he has not done anything here. 3 yrs in he is the worst qb in the NFL. If you keep him, he will be starting over again learning a new offensive system and a lot of new pieces on offense. You got to feel like the first 1/4 of the season (unless the schedule is favorable is going to be a mess). Then if things gel .Sam plays well, lets say he is 26 tds and 10 ints. You are paying him 100 million for 12 games of production. Many GMs have handed out contracts based on 1 good yr and have regretted it.
    A new head coach would probably if he has previous experience, would probably want to bring in a guy he is comfortable with, knowing his system. To teach and groom an heir to the position..
    I know that Fields has been off this yr, but last yr he had 40 tds and 1 int. We have probably had the second-worst passing stats in the NFL over the last 10 yrs Are we getting a draft pick this high again in the near future you hope not. Could Fields develop into a star,yes. Will he ? Time will tell. I think we have to take the chance though as long as he does not lay an egg in the playoffs.
    Wilson has a gun, moves well, but I watched the Coastal Carolina game and I was not impressed. Watching his highlights The guys is good but the competition looks like crap. I would not want him at 2