Edge rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wut?, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Do we sign Bud Dupree or draft someone?
    With Q emerging as a star, having an edge can really anchor the line on both sides of the ball next year.

When Dupree went down the Steelers defense has not been the same.

#1 Wut?, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I like Dupree a lot. Can someone who is more draft saavy mention some edge rushers that could be there at the end of the first?

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Patrick Jones is a solid edge guy late first from Pitt. Not many stud edge rushers this year but he’s solid. Ceiling would be 8-12 sack a year guy. Quick twitch and powerful but not a ton of moves.

Dupree would be a great singing. Let him recover from the ACL and plug him in mid season. We need an edge or Quinnen will be wasted.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Azeez Ojulari
    Jayson Oweh
    Patrick Jones II
    Carlos Basham
    Hamilcar Rashed
    Quincy Roche
    Myjai Sanders
    Jaelan Phillips
    Aidan Hutchinson

are your EDGE players that should be available towards the end of the first, depending on who you ask.

5. WoodyHarrelson

Jalen Phillips is a good rd 3 edge. Played well all year for Miami

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

If JD doesn't trade out I wouldn't be surprised if we take Rousseau at 2, WR with our second first rounder (or Freiermuth if available), then CB in round 2. Interior OL after that and we've strengthened the team on both sides of the ball in the first 3 rounds.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know I've heard that term before, but being a Jets fan, I don't really know what that is.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I dont even want to talk about this stuff until Gase is gone.Imagine trying to bring in free agents if Gase remains the coach.

NYJetsO12 and alleycat9 like this.
  10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Joseph Ossai of Texas or Zaven Collins of Tulsa, gentlemen.

11. NCJetsfan

If we take an edge, one of those two would definitely be who I want, but I hope that Douglas will wait until next year to address edge. The only way I would want him to draft an edge this year is if he isn't going to draft a QB. Then he can trade down, garner some additional picks either for 2021 or for 2022 (so they can be used if necessary to trade up for a QB he really wants) and take one of those two.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. WoodyHarrelson

Love it

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

They need to actually get someone better than Terrell Basham and Frankie Luvu in free agency. It’s so weird how they refuse to pay up for anyone.

14. NCJetsfan

Well, generally, one has to overpay for FAs anyway. The Jets have been so bad, and the cost of living is so high in the NY-NJ area, that the Jets have to pay a premium over and above already overpaying. I can't blame them. Besides, there's normally not any topnotch Edge rushers available in FA. They're either older and on the downside of their careers, think they're a lot better than they are and want a ton of money, are one-dimensional, or have off-field/character issues. Like QB, Edge rushers need to be drafted, not signed as FAs.

JETS1116 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Problem is Rousseau is not an edge rusher, he’s used as a 3 technique rusher over the guard because of his size. He does stunt well but he’s not blasting off the edge like a true OLB does.

I honestly think Rousseau is being overhyped right now, not that I think he is bad but he is not a pure outside rusher, however if he’s opposite of QW with Franklin Meyers playing at zero that maybe something to look forward to.

Questions to consider, is he a day one starter? Are Jets drafting another DL and forcing a pick where there is not a true need for a DL but and OLB?

Based on JDs scoring system he may not score high enough based on position, not being a refined Outside Pass Rusher and needing 2-3 years to truly develop into that position.

#15 Red Menace, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  16. WoodyHarrelson

All these guys rent apts in NJ. It’s not that bad.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've read that the 2022 draft is supposed to have a stronger group of Edge prospects than the 2021 class. Maybe wait to get that stud until then and add a tier 2 guy in FA if possible.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I really don't know enough about him ATM.

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Parsons is a STUD but he moved off the edge to become a MLB. And he’s a star there. The thing is he still has the moves to rush off the edge, it’s just he’s expanded his game so much that he’s no longer limited to one spot. Questions will be he surely won’t be a primary edge guy in the pros because he’s shown so much range in the middle of the defense and he can cover as well.

Parsons is the best LB in this draft, it’s just a question if a team would want to move him back to a spot he really hasn’t played a ton in a few years. My guess is you use him all over, MLB, have him rush ala what Jamal does, just have him be a nightmare for teams.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.