Penei Sewell

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 20, 2020.

1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Before the season, Sewell was rated/graded higher than Lawrence but didn’t play...

Sewell is more of a lock as he is less raw + projects higher coming into the NFL, but no one is gonna make Becton look ordinary now. Guy looks like a legitimate future HOF if he can stay healthy.

Still the prospects of these two on the same line is about as exciting as landing Lawrence for me.

2. SoylentGreen

agree, big (do it all) powerback najee harris would be nice.

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

tackle was fine this year so it’s not solving a big problem (interior OL). Not opposed to Rosseau from Miami or the WR.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He's last in EPA from a clean pocket in 2020. Not only his he last, he's the only QB in the NFL with a negative EPA from a clean pocket. That's right, when Sam passes from a clean pocket it's a net negative for our team. Clean pockets have also been over 50% of all his dropbacks this season.

5. SoylentGreen

interesting, one thing I believe... Sam has never been great throwing from the pocket. He’s at his best with play action and rolling out...

2 things you no longer see the Jets doing...
    Gase’s offense is not doing Sam any favors + rarely puts him in a position that plays to his strengths.

I don’t think Sam is nearly as bad as most fans + would like to see him with a real offensive coordinator vs Gase.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not being able to throw from the pocket is a gigantic indictment on a QB. That's the main thing he must be good at doing.

Could we extract some more value out of Sam with a better coach/OC? Sure, probably. That's still a gigantic flaw to force your OC to work around. It's like saying a guy is a great RB but just doesn't run the ball that well. That's the main thing he has to do well lol.

JetsKickAss and Red Menace like this.
  7. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Him or Etienne with Sewell would be very nice. With that combo and an actual halfway decent coach I do think there's some hope for Sam.

ColoradoContrails and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If we keep Sam I'd love this pick

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I saw you posted it and had also seen it before. Darnold is bad. Rather than reach at 2 for a QB, I'd rather beef up the team around the QB (which is what you are supposed to do anyway). If they decide a QB is worth it at 20 whatever we get from Seattle, I'm fine with that. We have Darnold cheap one more year. If he can't do it (I agree that he can't) with a better support and coach, then he is gone next year and we draft a new QB next year with a stronger team and stronger coach.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

We could be drafting ALOT LOWER next year and there might not be any QB's worth taking inside the Top 10, FYI.

So we may WANT to draft a QB in 2022, but there could be nobody worth drafting until late in the 1st or even 2nd rounds...someone who might be a backup or could be a starter but you'd be taking a big gamble.

REVISion likes this.
  11. JetsKickAss

That stat is draw-dropping...how the hell could Sam be that bad ?

I wonder where Sanchez would have scored on that metric from 2009-12 ?

REVISion likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sewell over any remaining QB on the #2 is a no-brainer.

Trading the pick down however is the best option if the Jets can get somebody to bite big on Sewell. The Jets have a dozen real holes to fill and LT is not one of them. RT's don't normally go on the #2 and getting Sewell just moves Becton to RT.

Pepsiguy5 and RochesterJet like this.
  13. Br4d

He'd find the best BBQ joint in town and live there.

That might be worth the pick. Get the Jets OL out of the steakhouses and into the BBQ joints.

14. JetsKickAss

I have a good one near me...makes a MEAN Spicy Caribbean Chicken Sandwich. :D

Pepsiguy5, Red Menace and Br4d like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder if fans would accept building up the team and going with a stopgap like Dalton for a year or two before getting the FQB. Kind of like what the Chiefs did with Smith, but for a shorter duration.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  16. JetsKickAss

Quite frankly, I think I'd rather stick with Sam and see if magically a "light turns on" than continue to think that any veteran (including Flacco) is better than him, all else -- OL, WR's, etc. -- equal.

17. SoylentGreen

agree, Sam is just 23... Many were saying Baker was a bust after last season (21 ints), new coach, new scheme and Browns heading to playoffs...

Baker is now considered one of the best upcoming Qb’s in the NFL... funny how that works...

Sam was also considered more raw than Baker (2 years older)... to give up on Sam now would be a mistake imo. He can still get it done.

Skicats and JetsKickAss like this.
  18. Br4d

I mean it is insane to even think this but it's likely true that Sam Darnold is the Jets only real hope at a playoff spot next year. He's the right age and the right pedigree to suddenly become a dominant QB. Much more than Flacco, who creaks when he moves, or any rookie who will need a year to get his feet under him even if he is really good.

Now this is a 5-10% chance maybe given what we know about him so far but that's still better than the other chances.

This is one of the reasons I think Darnold will still be with the Jets come opening day next season. It's going to be really hard to exile him unless somebody blows us away with an offer and that's not happening.

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

It's not that jaw-dropping. It's exactly what you'd expect from a team devoid of offensive talent at the skill positions. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are in protection. If the options are check down, incomplete pass, force pass or throw the ball away, your expected points added are going to be very low.

20. JetsKickAss

What was it for 2019 with Robbie Anderson ?

Red Menace likes this.