Medicine for Jet fans...Zachary Wilson highlights

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BudJet, Dec 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not all that often that we disagree, but we do in this instance, at least somewhat. I agree that Douglas shouldn't draft a QB just to draft a QB if he doesn't like one of them, but I think he will like at least one, and he needs to take him. While we do need impact athletes, we need a QB more. Unless Douglas and the new HC are certain they can fix Darnold and are willing to bet their careers on being able to fix him (doubtful), or there's one who they think will be in the 2022 draft that they love,

I don't see Devonta Smith as an elite player, at least not in the NFL. I think he's too thin and is going to stay nicked up/injured which will curtail his effectiveness. I haven't seen Parson play yet, but based on what I've read about him, I love his potential, and most of the experts I've seen think he is an elite, blue-chip player who will make an immediate impact in the NFL. I don't want Douglas to draft any defensive players in the first 3 rounds, but if he doesn't like any of the QBs and thinks Parsons can become an elite Edge, I won't be able to quibble too much, at least at this point.

I think Douglas will be taking a QB. As to whether that's Lawrence at #1 if Jacksonville wins another game, one of Wilson or Fields at #2, or trading down whatever is necessary and taking one of Trask or Lance. This is our best chance to get a QB. Hopefully Mims will be healthy from the start next year. Davis will have some experience and will presumably have mini-camps, OTAs, a full TC, and preseason to improve. If Douglas has another strong draft in 2021 (and there's no reason to think he won't), then we'll have a better record, be drafting lower and have less of a chance of getting a QB unless we luck into one who is rated lower and who surprises or Douglas trades the ranch to move up.

I wouldn't want Douglas to make any foolhardy "boom or bust" type picks, but one has to take some risks in order to achieve greatness. One won't get there playing it safe. IMO taking a chance on one of the QBs in this draft would be an acceptable risk, even at #2. One can lose a player one likes trying to get cute/greedy and trade down. We were lucky not to lose Mims this year. I hope that Douglas doesn't try it again so soon if he really likes one of the QBs but thinks #2 is too high to draft him. That said, that could be one of those risks that Douglas takes in order to try and maximize value and achieve greatness sooner by getting more picks.

I don't think any case can be made for taking Surtain in the top 10, much less the top 5. I'd never take a stinking CB that high. ;):D

2. NCJetsfan

Having the best OL in the NFL is great if the rest of your team is strong/solid; otherwise its a luxury one cannot afford. If Douglas did that, we might have the best OL in football for 5 years, then we'd undoubtedly lose at least one of Becton/Sewell and maybe Thuney too. Either that, or Douglas would have to cut several other players to get under the cap, and he wouldn't be able to pay Mims, our QB, Q. Williams or whomever. That's absolutely one of the worst possible moves he could make. Taking a RT at pick #2 in the draft is just wrong, and I'm truly surprised you're advocating it. It's a waste of draft capital as it's not a premium position. We can have a nasty OL without having two HOF OTs and a Pro Bowl OG.

We have a pretty strong idea already what we have in Sam (or don't have is probably more appropos).

#82 NCJetsfan, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    88toon, Borat and REVISion like this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

.If he gets us to the super bowl I'll throw in a couple of goats & my best egg bearing chicken

#83 BudJet, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Brook! and JetBlue like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Agreed. We have to get a QB sooner rather than later. It would be much better if we can get him this year. It will be much harder next year, and we may not be in position to.

88toon and matt robinson 17 like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Has he ever had mono?

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Sewell played RT in high school.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

That is interesting, I am sure he wants LT but this is good fact to learn

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

As a former lineman, Douglas will be able to determine the delta benefit between Fant and Sewell. We have Fant that's perhaps a 7 out of 10, where Sewell may be a 9.5 out of 10. That extra 2.5 between Fant and Sewell is definitely an upgrade, but how much over the course of a game, season, career? Now do that same delta analysis between the top WR coming out and, say, Perriman. Or the top TE coming out and Herndon. Or top DB, or top RB, etc.

Having the #2 pick gives JoeD tons of options, so every position will be studied compared to what's available with this crop of rooks. If Joe thinks the next Darrelle Revis is sitting there, then the delta may be much more going in that direction vs Sewell over Fant.

Can't wait to see how this draft goes, and we can finally root for the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!!!!! Go Jets! Beat them Brownies!!!!

Dang that feels gooood!

9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

He and his agent are not letting him play RT after being drafted 2 overall for a decade. Hate to sound like a broken record but people are just ignoring this HUGE fact for some reason.

REVISion likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Its not like RT doesn't matter. Its pretty damn important. If you watch the Jets games from last year and earlier this season there were plenty... and I mean plenty of times where our offensive plays got totally ruined and/or Sam got physically hit after our RT completely failed in one way or another.

If the Jets had a Sewell level player there the last 18 months it would be interesting to somehow redo it all and see what kind of difference. I suspect there would even be games in the win column instead of losses, Sam might not have missed as much action, so on and so forth. Also I'm sure there were a few or maybe more than a few running plays that either got blown up or went nowhere that might have gotten turned into positive yardage or bigger gains which also comes with a probably snowball effect.

If the Jets go into this upcoming draft with the #2 pick we're going to find out what JD's analysis of Sam and the importance of a RT/Becton insurance policy is. If I had to bet I'm going to bet Sewell will be a Jet. And I'm also willing to bet that is the right move, albeit not the flashy one.

SoylentGreen and JetBlue like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not advocating for taking Sewell with the #2 pick because A) we already have a stud LT, and B) we should be able to find a strong upgrade later in the draft, but that said, RT has become almost as critical as LT in the past few years as defenses have learned to shift their attack to the right side. In theory taking Sewell and making either he or Becton switch might be a great idea, but in reality not so much. I do hope that Douglas seriously upgrades the OL between FA and the draft though.

88toon, ouchy and King Koopa like this.
  12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Jets fans will lose their sh*t if we draft Fields but he could easily be the better QB in the long term. The right development and system is key and starting from Day 1 could be a bad idea.

NYJFOREVER, REVISion and King Koopa like this.
  13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Agreed...we got our stud left tackle , now we just need talented upgrades across the board Via FA or later in the Draft

Sewell would be nice but it’s better for the team to move down if they don’t love any of the QBs at 2

If you can’t move down and don’t want the QBs, then I would probably take Chase the WR out of LSU. If Sewell is that good someone will move up though to jump Cincy, or they will be forced to give us something to prevent that

88toon, JetBlue and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If they don't move down too far - say to the 4-6 range - they could still probably get a QB if Douglas likes Wilson, Trask, Lance, or maybe Fields (although I don't like him for the Jets). And I'm not sure that Chase is the best pick in that range. If not a QB, then an Edge or OL, because I think there will be stud WRs and RBs available around their Seattle pick or early 2nd round. That said, I haven't really studied all the prospects beyond QB in depth yet.

88toon and King Koopa like this.
  15. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Want to see the Jets get better in hurry -

Draft Sewell, Freiermuth - rd 1
    Draft whatever RB slips in rd 2 - Najee Harris, or Ettiene, or WR Toney (Florida)

sign Guard - Thuney and either WR - Allen Robinson or Corey Davis.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just watched Zach's worst game this season, the one they lost against Carolina Coastal. Surprisingly, I thought Zach actually looked quite good against a good defense. The only INT came off a 65 yard hail Mary pass at the end of the first half into Carolina's end zone line. 91 yard TD pass taken away due to penalty. A few key drops that should have been catches, a guy after gaining a few yards off of a pass then running back to try to gain more yards, ending up losing a large chunk. And finally, amazing drive at the end from I think 5 yard line all the way 1 yard line of Carolina as time expired. He passed to the guy to about 1.5 yard line for 17 yards in stride running into the end zone, but he was yanked back by a big defender. Overall, not bad for the worst game of the season.

17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

But if Joe D. doesn't like any of the QB's this year aside from Trevor, what can you do ? You can't take a guy you really don't like and HOPE he works out, right ?

You can't overdraft.

You do this, you're looking at a potential/likely bust, setting back the franchise years, and probably leading to your own unemployment.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is the tough reality we find ourselves in after missing out on Lawrence. If JD doesn't take a QB this year there's no guarantee he'll like a QB next year. Most seem to think next year's QB class is weaker than this one. If JD doesn't take a QB this draft he basically has to next draft imo, you can't go 3+ years being the GM without upgrading Sam. And the fans aren't going to want a veteran who will lead us to 9-7 at best. The franchise needs a long term solution at QB.

Borat likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Right on all accounts., If he doesn't like any of the QBs in 2021, then we'll be forced to wait until 2022. That's all the more reason he then needs to trade down and garner additional picks that can be used in 2022, if necessary, to get our QB. In that circumstance, in 2021 we'd have to roll either with Sam, Morgan and Mike White, or a FA vet QB, Morgan and White, preferably the latter, because we'd probably need the pick we get for Sam to help move up in 2022.

88toon likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This really sums it up well, that is exactly why Lawrence loss was such a disaster. There really isn't another truly great QB option now, and we likely won't be in position to draft really high next year. With JD's draft picks improving with experience, new draft class, Mosely, and new coach we are probably back to 7 win realm, kind of like we were last year. Also, if we don't pick a QB, new coach won't allow a veteran QB with 70 rating play all year, as we did this year evaluating Sam. So, next year we are looking at an improved team I feel and therefore perhaps still good, but not such a great draft pick, so even the guys like Fields and Zach may not be available. We might not have much of a choice but to grab one of them who JD thinks has higher chance to succeed with #2, and wait for a couple of years for him to develop. Things just would be so much easier if we could get Lawrence.

REVISion likes this.