Tracking Douglas' First Rookie Class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with you, however the guard play is the problem, McGovern and Becton can hold up their end of the bargain when Jets run to the left, the guard gives up penetration so play doesn’t get more than a couple of yards.

You see it during pass protection, McGovern and Becton do their job but left guard gets pushed back too easily and doesn’t maintain pocket integrity.

Elflein has been really bad, let’s himself get pushed around on pass protection and doesn’t get a push on defender on run plays.

#161 Red Menace, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Noam, NCJetsfan, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think we will have to live with the youngsters at corner next year and we can feel OK about it as long as we bring Maye back.

Can't fix everything in one off-season and they've shown enough this year to wait one more year to draft a big time corner.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Elflein was good against the Raiders and bad this week. We must upgrade both guard spots and I think we will.

We can have a great running game if we do because Becton is an absolute monster.

4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree w/you more. We have glaring "need immediate help" holes on the roster. As long as we bring Maye back, - I feel OK (just OK for the time being) in the secondary with youngsters Guidry, Hall, Bless & A. Davis. I'm sure we'll be able to pick up a vet on a short-term cheap deal. But I saw Rich Cimini on Saturday talk about using the Seahawk 1st round pick or the 2nd round pick to take a CB and I then threw my shoe at the TV.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Elflein maybe a decent backup. He’s likely outplayed Lewis at the LG spot. It speaks to me though that Cameron Clark has received not an ounce of PT...either he was super raw in practice or had some injury we really didn’t know. So he’s a relative unknown in terms of what he can do.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

I wouldn't be against it. But I only think there's two corners in the first that are worth it and neither will be available at our pick (Surtain II and Jaycee Horn).

I would gladly take Horn especially in the 20s. He's a monster of a cover guy. He reminds me of Gilmore a lot (South Carolina connection makes the comparison easier...).

7. wewantsapp

Greg Armstrong just did a mock below this morning (the day after) & he said the same thing TWICE;

http://turnonthejets.com/2020/12/new-york-jets-greg-armstrong-mock-draft-v2-0/
    "Cam Clark hasn’t seen the field yet and nobody has stepped up with the revolving door of players at the guard position."
    "I have no clue what the deal is with Cam Clark but regardless, the guard position could serve to be upgraded."

Does anyone have any information/update/sighting on Cameron Clark????????????????

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Have you watched Clemson CB Sheridan Jones play? If so, does a look like a #1 CB? A 2022 mock has us taking him.

9. wewantsapp

Look at what Mogriffjr found today about Guidry. Sorry about my cut & paste - I dont have a twitter account.

@Michael_Nania

Is Javelin Guidry..... good?
    3 games since becoming a key part of the defense:
    95 cover snaps
    13 targets
    10 catches
    87 yards (0.92 per snap, 6.7 per target, 8.7 per catch) 1 first down (7.7% rate)

This Douglas rookie class keeps getting better #Jets

9:12 AM · Dec 21, 2020

Royal Tee likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think its pretty damn good. No team hits on all their picks, so I dont want to hold JD to an impossible standard. In addition, its really too early to legitimately judge these guys, so I'll be going by Hit/Incomplete

1. Becton- Massive hit. Health permitting, he's gonna be the LT for a long time.
    2. Mims- Probably hit. He looks so good out there, but I'd like to see a bit more production before I rule him a no-brainer hit.
    3. Davis - Incomplete. I see some potential, but I also see a lot of mistakes. I'm not comfortable ruling him a hit or bust yet.
    4. Zuniga- Incomplete. Haven't seen much of him. He gets an incomplete, but I dont have much confidence here.
    5. Lamical Perine- Incomplete/Bust. I have been very unimpressed with Perine. I'm significantly more confident in Ty Johnson
    6. James Morgan- Incomplete. He was clearly never meant to play this year. We can re-evaluate if he's on the roster next year.
    7. Cameron Clark- Incomplete/Bust. I reserve the right to retract the bust label. He hasnt played at all this year. I dont know if its because this is a red shirt year, or if he cant beat out the competition. If its the latter, I'm not too confident.
    8. Bryce Hall- Hit. I love this guy. I absolutely think the Jets hit here, and it was a great move by Douglas to take a chance on an injured talent.
    9. Braden Mann- Hit. Not as good as the pro bowl votes seem to indicate. Having said that, I imagine he'll be the starting punting for a few years. I'll consider that a hit for a sixth rounder.

UDFAs - Huff and Guidry both look like legitimate players. Guidry played every snap Sunday and I didnt hear his name all that much. Huff needs more snaps, but it seems like he wins a lot of his pass rushes (especially for a rookie)

Noam, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

nice review....I agree pretty much 100%

I’m not as high on Davis as others may be....I see a fast kid but he hasn’t made many plays...I’d rate him incomplete as well and maybe 50/50 chance of becoming a good starter, but I don’t think we’ve found our starting safety yet
    I’m also down on Perine...nothing special so far...
    zuniga has been hurt so maybe too early but if I had to label him now I’d say bust
    Cameron...if he couldn’t make it on the field at guard with the state of our guard play that’s a bad sign

14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

The fact that we have the following players as starters is huge and seem to be proven. Becton, Mims, Bryce Hall, Mann is a success imo. Davis seems to be a good player but TBD. I think Zuniga and Perine are busts sadly. Cam Clark TBD but not a good sign.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you can get four starters in the draft and then two additional contributors as undrafted rookies, you won't get many complaints from me.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup...a good start ... how much stock to be put into the fact that they are starting is hard to really judge yet...our roster was so poor that starting has a lot to do with the fact that the incumbents sucked

But overall yea a good start. Becton is a stud, Mims looks promising but agree I’d like to see more production, Hall is coming on, Mann is good. The rest have potential to some degree or another.

NCJetsfan likes this.