Darnold vs Fields

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jedi mind tricks, Dec 20, 2020.

?

Who do you want at QB?

1. Darnold

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Fields

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Fuck both

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You don't think bringing Sam back and activating the 5th year option is worth it ? What about just bringing him back ?

IF JD is convinced that NO QB in the draft (except TL) is worth drafting at #2 or even in the 1st (and maybe 2nd rounds)....then you have to bring Sam back. Right ?

2. JetsKickAss

You hope for Ryan Tannehill II.

Has anybody asked Ryan Tannehill WTF happened to him aside from leaving Miami/Gase for TN/Vrabel/Smith ? He had BACKUP QB written all over him and now he's Top 10 QB, maybe Top 5.

Poeman likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

RT was also never as bad as Sam has been under Gase ..

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Bring him back, but also bring in a vet who can compete with him and Morgan. Build up the team and reassess the situation in 2022. Odds are a QB will have to be taken in the 2022-2024 drafts.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No. Why do we have to bring Sam back? What would that accomplish? We already know that he's broken, perhaps beyond repair. I believe the chances of his rehabbing his career are much less here than they would be elsewhere where he could make a fresh start, have none of the painful memories, reminders each day, embarrassment, etc., as long as he goes to a team that uses a system that is tailored to his skillset, and has a quality OL and good playmakers around him. He's not worth $21-$25 million per season. It would most likely be a waste of cap space, and would send the wrong message to players and the fans...play lousy and we'll reward you. It says how well you play doesn't matter to the Jets. I don't think it would be fair to Sam, the team, or fans to bring him back for one year without picking up his option, which would mean that they would have to let him walk at the end of the season and possibly get nothing in return for him, because I doubt that he'd be willing to sign an extension or skip FA and re-sign with the Jets.

The offense will be new, and Sam would have to learn it just like any other QB coming in or Morgan. Unless the new HC specifically likes and believes in Sam, I find it hard to believe that he'd want to tie his career as a HC to Sam, and I find it hard to believe that JD would want to tie his career to Sam. In order to rehab his career, I think Sam likely needs to sit for at least half a season if not a whole season, and I think that would defeat the purpose of bringing him back here. Since they're rebuilding, JD could bring in a vet like Tyrod Taylor, Colt McCoy, Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or maybe even Mitch Trubisky or Derek Carr for a year as a stopgap. None of those guys are that expensive. They could bring Sam back, but I don't think they "have" to. I also expect JD to draft a QB, depending upon who it is, where he is drafted and how quickly he learns, the rookie could start next season, or sit for the first half of the 2021 season then take over as starter the 2nd half of the season, or sit the entire season and then take over as starter in 2022.

#65 NCJetsfan, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    88toon, JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  6. JetsKickAss

If JoeD feels the same way as you did, then he should have deliberately tanked by removing Gase and installing a Tanking Puppet.

If he still believes in Sam (?), then his current behavior is acceptable.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As I've said a gazillion times over the last 2 days, I don't believe that JD believes in tanking and trying to lose intentionally. Besides, he doesn't have the power or authority to remove Gase and install a puppet. His current behavior is acceptable PERIOD.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. JetsKickAss

You might be right....but with a franchise-defining moment like Trevor Lawrence, he would be derelict if he didn't go to Chris and Woody and (1) ask them if they have even HEARD of Trevor Lawrence (who knows what those guys know ?) and (2) understand the implications of winning even 1 game.

If Chris and Woody said they know all about Trevor and to go out and win games, case closed.

But if they didn't....................:D

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well you've watched a lot more of Fields than I have, and I respect your knowledge of football, so I'm going to reconsider my objection to Fields. I'm not changing my mind entirely, but I'd like to see some more of him. He has at least one more game to impress. If he shits the bed again though, I'm going back to my original assessment. I'm not rooting against him. In fact I'd love for him to show that he's as good a prospect as Lawrence since it looks like we'll be sitting at #2. But as of of now I still have him behind Lawrence and Wilson. Let's see what he does against Alabama.

88toon and dawinner127 like this.
  10. JetsKickAss

Guys, the Clemson-OSU game is gonna be great because either Trevor or Fields will be on the field at any given time. And if we're in the #2 slot, focus on Fields.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  11. JetsKickAss

One thing is clear...the Jets scouting and coaching dept. need to review EVERY SINGLE GAME that Ryan Tannehill played under Adam Gase vs. Tennessee and see what the hell happened to this guy. I want to know why if you ranked his Top 10 games all of them are with TN and of his Top 20 games like 18 or 19 are from TN.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I know people have this belief that Sam will follow in RT's footsteps after leaving Gase, but it legit makes zero sense. Like I said to you earlier - RT was never as bad as Sam has been under Gase. The numbers aren't even close IIRC. Stop with this comparison, it's foolish.

REVISion likes this.
  13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To be fair to Darnold, Tannenhill was already in the league for 4 years before Gase got his hands on him, Darnold was just a year before Gase could start contaminating him

14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Fields is very much like Becton in that his ceiling is higher than anyone in this class (including Lawrence). Ohio State Qb’s scare me, Big Ten Qb’s scare me and his erratic play scares me.

Still, my eyes tell me he’s a different level of athlete vs all these other QB’s. I wouldn’t hate the pick if JD makes it.

15. JetsKickAss

Fields ceiling is NOT higher than Trevor's.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Tbh I don't care about the athlete part that much. It's nice to have a QB who can run but I think the mental and throwing-based aspects of the job are 10x more important.

I wouldn't hate the pick either though, I think we desperately need a QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Agree in the same way Mahomes ceiling was not higher than Lucks.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The reason that Mahomes's ceiling was higher than Lucks - and I'll get crucified for saying this, but I believe it to be true - and higher than anyone's since Marino, is not his physical traits which are terrific, but it's his innate understanding of the game and how to play it. When you watch him it seems like he pulls plays out of his ass, with a great deal of luck, but the fact that he consistently does it is proof that it's not luck, it's intentional because he sees things that other people don't (of course Darnold sees things that others don't too - ghosts - but that's another story).

I don't see that aspect of the game in Fields. He's a great athlete for sure, but whereas when things break down - and that's where Mahomes is his best - Fields doesn't overcome them. OTOH, I DO see that aspect in Wilson, although he doesn't have quite the arm that Mahomes does - then again, who does? I also see some of this in Lawrence, but not as much as I do in Wilson, but in TL's case he has a stronger arm than Wilson.

I'd be very happy with either of Lawrence or Wilson, and have serious doubts about Fields based on what I've seen so far. His upcoming game(s) may convince me to change my mind if he plays the way everyone else says he's capable of.

NCJetsfan, JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  19. JetsKickAss

Nailed it. Direct hit. Bullseye.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. JetsKickAss

ANY Jets fan here HAS to watch the CFP games in their entirety, especially as long as OSU is alive and Fields is playing. No excuses !!!! :D

I can't recall ever having this much at stake with the CFP playoffs. If we had the #1 overall pick, it'd be INTERESTING to watch Trevor, but unless the guy was like 12 for 37 for 85 yards, nothing is going to cause doubt to not pick him at #1. With the #2, we really need to see Justin Fields and some of the other players for our second #1 pick and maybe our #2's.

ColoradoContrails likes this.