What's done is done...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Gase will still be fired I just can’t see how they retain him. I’m actually not worried at all about this.

What I’m really worried about is the #2 pick... the OP is correct the #2 doesn’t hold as much weight in years past.. usually there is a top end pass rusher or top level QB available or a top LT. Well there is a top end LT but obviously we aren’t taking him to replace Becton, Fields straight up sucks but I’m worried this is the direction we will go. Trading back and sticking with Sam is also terrible as we all know Sam sucks even worse than Fields...

I just hope that the 2 games where Fields played stiff competition were flukes and he’s the real deal but so far what my eyes were telling me is that he’s a poor mans version of Russel Wilson very similar to Darnold.

grkmanga31 and REVISion like this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

As long as the Jets have the right guy at the top, they'll be fine. Obviously drafting Lawrence would have been amazing, but if JD can put together a competent team and coaching staff, they'll be OK.

They have a lot of money to play with and the number two pick. Hypothetically, if they can sign Thuney, sign Robinson and draft Sewell, that becomes a good to great line, and a pretty strong group of WRs. The Jets will put Darnold (or whomever the QB is) in the best situation to succeed. If the QB still sucks, than the Jets will have a good environment for a rookie.

Obviously, I'd prefer Lawrence, but the future still has potential.

3. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Perhaps I am just trying to manage my disappointment in the Rams game. Perhaps I'm trying to temper my expectations in the face of the inevitable disaster. But I have moved past my sense of urgency into a state of acceptance (or hopelessness?)...

We've had crappy seasons before and we will again. Individual fans might throw up our hands and leave, but the franchise will still be here, and i daresay most of us (you included :) )will remain masochistic fans of the Jets. We were spinning our wheels all through the 2010s decade with Sanchez, Tebow, Rex, Bowles, Geno, Fitz and now Sam. Even 2000-2008 were wasted.

All your other points are spot on. Gase's time here is past. The Jets won't get better without a strategy, the right coach, and a couple of strong drafts. This is the best time to do that, because we hopefully have the right GM to deliver on the latter.

4. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Only thing Fields and Wilson have in common is that they are both black. Can we stop doing this

94Abraham and JetsKickAss like this.
  5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

That's just idiotic, the draft order was still in flux. Basically, he was predicting football games weeks in advance.

6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I've been watching some cutups of fields' games. He has physical tools but his lack of anticipation gives me agita.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

He sucks

period

can’t deliver under pressure and has to throw to wide open receivers

the two games where he had pressure and receivers covered he sucked

I’ve seen enough

and if he rises on the boards due to post season hype I’ll be super pissed

happens every year

8. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

As much as this week has sucked because of Sunday's debacle--there is still a lot of stuff to watch that's going to have implications for the Jet's future success:

1) Tonight's game for Zach Wilson will have pull on his trend towards draft time--if he balls out it's going to send his trajectory swinging upward
    2) Fields vs. Lawrence is going to be huge in predicting what Fields value will be draft time, and then the bowl game presumably vs. Bama will again be big for both
    3) The next two Jets games will determine Sam's future here potentially and trade value, not to mention draft position if Jags lose
    4) The Jags games still have to be played, we are all assuming they lose, but it's truly any given Sunday this year
    5) Covid/injury unknowns are a wild card this year, and if the Colts entire Oline needs quarantined week 17--who knows what happens in Jacksonville there.
    6) The points above are just in season things to see--then you have the coaching firings/hiring, free agency, etc.

Anything can happen between now and next season guys, I know it's tempting to go negative right now and I'm battling with the rest of you this week in staying positive.

But all of us really need to take a breather and realize that there are literally tons of unknowns right now besides just having #1 overall that will dictate the quality of the team going forward.

Joe Douglas, Savage, Alexander and Hogan are running this now and are highly respected and connected. We have to give them a little good faith here to bring in quality people.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I hope the general opinion of him rises due to a solid playoff performance. All it takes is for one GM to fall in love with him and we have a trade partner out of the #2 spot and several more draft picks to work with in order to rebuild this mess. There are plenty of QB-desperate teams out there (Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, New England, possibly Dallas and Minnesota) that the usual trend of a subpar QB prospect rising due to desperation by teams at that position could help us out here.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What I hope is that Wilson's stock rises a TON tonight that someone falls in love with him and we can move down to say 4 or 5 and take Fields. It'd be perfect.

Wilson + BYU will put up a lot of points tonight out of necessity. UCF scores in bunches.

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

no on Fields

he will be the same as Darnold

he only looks good when his OL is dominating and his receivers are wide open

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lol we are headed for the darkest era of Jets football for an uncertain number of years.Theres nothing to be positive about there really isnt and i wish there was.We will be 4-12 next year if we hit on every pick and sign a decent coach.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Ah, the irony of this draft. I’m amazed at the notion by many that JD should be able to trade the #2 for a boat load of picks, yet unanimously agree that Fields sucks and sure not worth the second pick. That makes little sense to me. If that is the consensus beyond this forum, why would intelligent GMs do that? May be some hungry bottom dweller might take a chance, but it will not be for a boat load. JD gives me the impression he will not over reach if he is not sold on Fields and hopefully pulls a good trade for us, but don’t expect the moon.
    The big question is simply this. How good can Fields be and is he NFL material more so than Sam?
    Either the experts here are wrong, or if they are right, Fields falls down to the middle of the first where a good team picks him up on a flier and in a year, God forbid, potentially emerges a star and we all bitch because we didn’t see the value when we had the chance. Sounds familiar.
    Yep, JD has his work cut out with the second pick, might set the stage for years to come.
    If the Jags win Sunday, the NE game will be heart attack time for all Jet fans.

14. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Can’t we do some TENET inversion shit and reverse what happened?

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I have recruited a team of scientists and Christopher Nolan to look into it. Will report back.

Jets79 and Terminated117 like this.
  16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Story in the LA Times about how the LA coach called Gase before the game and complemented him on how hard the kids on the Jets play. Ask any coach and they will tell you it's the greatest compliment an opponent can give.

17. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

For me if we do not get #1 this off season starts with the HC.

Find who you (Douglas) wants.pay him whatever it takes to say yes. I mean what's 15mil on a coach when top positional players get that.

GM and coach have to see eye to eye and agree on the future of the franchise. That's the key to success of this draft.

Otherwise f&#& it.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk