Should yesterday make us question our faith in Douglas?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 21, 2020.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I must say this thread was half trolling. I know it's mainly absurd. I'm still feeling a bit delirious from yesterday.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

There’s also the realization that the GM can’t order the team to go 0-16. You might believe that he can. Like, he can just press the magic 0-16 button and get the number 1 pick, but he can’t.

Many of the vets on this team will be gone next season, either looking for a job or signed in free agency. Anyone who falls into that category can and should be playing hard to maximize their chances of either remaining in the NFL or getting a bigger paycheck.

Good rookies are going to bust their asses no matter what. They have plenty of reasons to impress coaches and GM’s.

The coaches...well, I can’t think of any coach who would want the 0-16 scarlet letter. It’s not necessarily a career ender, but no sane coach who’s likely be out of a job regardless wants to field questions about that during their next interview. 0-16, 1-15...what’s the difference? The difference is 0-16 has only happened 2 times...ever. Toss the 0-14 Lions in and that’s 3 teams that have gone winless since the leagues inception. That’s how hard it is to be that bad. No coach wants that on their resume.

Try to see this from the players and coaches perspective. They’re not worried about the Jets organization. They’re worried about staying employed and maximizing their value. They’re not thinking “well gee if we get the #1 we’ll have Trevor and we’ll win all the Super Bowls and THEN I’ll get paid”.

#42 Jets81, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Douglas couldn't tell anyone to try to lose. But he needed to go to Chris Johnson and take control of who played and who didn't, which he failed to do.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

How do you think that would make the players feel if the GM wanted them to lose. Word would get out & it would be all over the media that the Jets purposely threw the game. This loss to the Rams is more on them not showing up for the game....typical trap game. Hell A. Donalds stat line was 3 tackles. Would I have preferred the Jets lose & keep the so called "tank" rolling, of course. But I also don't expect them to throw the game intentionally.

ColoradoContrails and Jets81 like this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

So a GM that wins a football game is now making people question his abilities and whether he's good for this franchise?

Lmao

Fuck. The level of stupidity is at an all time high in Jet land

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

So in your view, a competent GM should go to his coach and purposely tell him to lose games so that he can draft a 19 year old kid and hope that he "saves" the franchise?

This is your definition of a good GM and one we can trust to build a winning organization?

What in the fuck

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s not only about TL it’s also the fact that he comes with a lot of potential to land an elite coach. It makes the Jets job waaay more attractive starting with Lawrence who is the best prospect I’ve ever seen.

However, after the dust settles from Sunday in reality there is nothing more JD could have done. The Jets got overlooked by the Rams and they played hard to get their first win.

JDs job also went from pretty easy to the hardest in the NFL as well. Pretty easy in the sense that his first pick was a no brainer and building around him and Becton on offence, also the job would have been incredibly attractive to coaches because of those building blocks. Now he has the hardest job in the NFL because he has to decide to stick with Sam, take Fields, trade back or trade up. All those scenarios will have a domino effect. Plus who will want to coach us now? We are going to have to settle for a coordinator again... I could bet the farm that JD knew his life would have been a lot easier with 1 overall.

REVISion likes this.
  8. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I do find this fascinating, perhaps someone already made this point:

The teams that Joe Douglas won superbowls with did not have true franchise elite QB's:

Ravens 1: Trent Dilfer
    Ravens 2: Joe Flacco
    Eagles: Wentz / Foles mostly

These were great teams, rather than being predicated on elite QB play. Ozzie Newsome drafted many great players in his day, yet Lamar Jackson was his only wlite QB pick--Flacco was good not great.

To top it off, if you guys can remember, those teams beat teams WITH elite QB's in those respective years. We all remember both the Ravens and Eagles giving Brady fits and overcoming Manning.

So, yes, we can be upset about missing TL because he will be special and I LOVE his personality for this market. But all is not lost, if Joe Douglas is who we think he is.

I think JD has been great so far--good free agent pickups, solid draft and UFA pickups. Let's see how this plays out.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The coach doesn't answer to the GM so IMO Joe Douglas has no legitimate power to force a tank job. I do think some of the moves he's made were geared towards tanking, but its not like gase was taking orders from Douglas to go out and lose every game. Also think that there's no organizational tank job conspiracy evidenced by Greg Williams being fired.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s tougher without the #1 but his first draft looks solid and he has a good amount of draft capital (which could increase if he’s not sold on Fields and plays his cards right) which will be appealing to potential coaches.

Jets also have a lot of cap space, another thing a new coach likes to see.

There are also plenty of players who’s contracts are up or are short term, giving a new coach a great opportunity to get the people he wants at a faster rate.

Additionally (debate on this board notwithstanding) it appears that Douglas did just about everything he could to prep the team for a rebuild without doing anything that would call his integrity into question. That actually means something to some people and it could be the difference between an amazing coach signing here or declining an interview all together.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Great points.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You’re right. He definitely missed some opportunities to sabotage the team, and if that’s not the hallmark of every good GM then I don’t know what is.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm truly glad to see this! The reason I included you is that in an earlier post in this thread (#5) you said:

I just took you at your word. How else was I supposed to interpret that? It appears to clearly state that you believe that JD was tanking. IMO that's one of those crazy conspiracy theories. I don't believe for one minute that JD was intentionally tanking for Lawrence or for any other reason.

14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

These are professional athletes whose job is on the line. They don’t purposely tank. Now they may not play hard because they don’t give a shit, but no coaches or players care about getting a number 1 pick.

15. NCJetsfan

If you had the opportunity for a job that was at the pinnacle of your career, a job that you had dreamed of holding for many years, a job that would not only pay you a LOT more than you had even made before, but gave you a great opportunity to make a name for yourself, earn more respect, and have the satisfaction of building or doing something great, do you mean to tell me that you'd turn it down because you didn't like one of your co-workers?

I'm certain that Douglas knew that Gase wouldn't be here long. That's why he held out for a 6-year contract. I think he believed in Darnold at the time (and still may), saw a great challenge with the Jets, which he wanted, and thought that after Gase was gone, he'd have the opportunity to hire his own HC and build a winner with the Jets.

The only other reason I can see that Douglas would have taken the Jets job is because he's sick in the head. If so, I don't know why that would bother you, as we're all sick in the head or we wouldn't be Jets fans. He would fit right in, and as long as he drafts well and makes mostly the right moves, he can stay as long as he wants imo.

#55 NCJetsfan, Dec 22, 2020
  16. NCJetsfan

I don't believe that it's in Douglas' character to tank. He's a former OL. He's trying to change the character and culture of the Jets. He's bringing in high-character types who won't quit. If he had the intention of tanking, he'd have to be stupid to bring in players like Becton and McGovern who have high character and don't quit. Do you really think that Douglas moved up through the ranks with the Ravens, was so highly sought after and respected by those in the NFL for being stupid???

I believe that once Covid hit, mini-camps and OTAs were cancelled, TC altered, preseason cancelled, Mosley opted out, Adams was pushing to get out, Douglas realized that this season may not even finish, but even if it did, the Jets were going nowhere, especially with Gase as HC. At that point, there was no sense in wasting a lot of $s and cap space to put lipstick on a pig. Douglas accepted that this was going to be a bumpy ride, and when he had the opportunity, made moves to help the team going forward (trading the players who weren't going to be part of our future) to gain additional cap space and draft capital. That is a positive, not a negative. It is focusing on next year and the future, not this season and panicking or trying to make it worse intentionally so he could get better draft position. I believe that Douglas is old school like most posters here, and isn't of the mind set to intentionally lose games to get better draft position. I believe that he has confidence in himself to build the team regardless of draft position. Just because he was trying to be responsible with the cap and budget and thinking of the future doesn't mean that he was intentionally doing anything to improve draft position.

#56 NCJetsfan, Dec 22, 2020
  17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It's also absurd to think that, even if Douglas were able to (which he clearly isn't based on both the power structure and the fact that he's not an idiot) force the tank, that the players would go along with it. Do we really expect the players to go out and make themselves look bad, thus placing their careers (and health) on the line just so the front office can get a draft pick so that they can replace the guy that the players voted as one of their captains at the beginning of the season. Somehow, I doubt this would be a feasible plan.

18. NCJetsfan

No, he didn't need to go to Chris Johnson. Douglas wasn't tanking and as a former player, doesn't believe in it, so he certainly wasn't going to go to Chris Johnson and try to convince him to order Gase to tank. Chris Johnson may not believe in tanking, and it's quite possible that if Douglas had done something like that, that the Johnsons would have looked askance at him and fired him. Even if the Johnsons had bought in, Gase wouldn't have done it without some kind of reward. I don't know if he thinks his football career is over or not, but he certainly wouldn't have wanted to go out with an 0-16 on his resume, and if he does have hopes of getting another coaching job, he wouldn't want that blemish.

For you to believe that is what Douglas should have done, then you have to believe that the Johnsons would go along with a tank, and that Gase and the CS would go along, and you have to believe that Gase and the CS will be back next season. They're all cut from the same piece of cloth and linked inextricably together.

19. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Once that order comes down from the top, Gase's job for next season is secure. And with him running the show, I don't want Lawrence here. It would be too painful to watch Gase ruin a second potential franchise QB.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

How could Douglas dictate the actions on the field? I know he can get the personnel on the team but coaches and game action drives the wins and losses.