Sam vs. Fields: Both Rate The Same, Who Do You Want ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

At this point neither... I’m leaning towards pickup Matt Ryan and drafting Trey Lance or Wilson. Both those kids have great abilities but need time behind a veteran QB. Matt Ryan is 35 and has a few good years left and we can develop a raw QB behind him. Wilson and Lance are nowhere close to day 1 starters but they have great abilities, they just need to sit and learn for 2 years.

I’d look to trade out of 2 and also trade Darnold in that scenario.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's zero chance Matt Ryan would want to come to a team like the Jets. Not to mention he's played nine games in a dome his whole career and the four others in stadiums where the temperature doesn't dip below forty in December.

Trading for Ryan would be a disaster for the Jets. I'd imagine he goes to San Francisco anyways if he is moved.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'd take Fields or Wilson at 2 over keeping Sam.

If I didn't take a QB, I definitely wouldn't take Sewell. I'd either take Chase at 2 or trade down a few spots and take a wide receiver for Sam. Becton and Fant have both been good for us this year; the IOL desperately needs an upgrade more than tackle.

88toon and REVISion like this.
  4. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

if we don't get TL, stay with sam and trade the 2nd for a shit load.

TheCleaner likes this.
  5. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I don't see Fields as an upgrade over Sam. Trade Sam and the late first round (Seattle) pick to Jacksonville to move up one spot and take Trevor.

Or, alternatively, draft Sewell to stack the O-Line and Etienne (the Clemson running back) with the later first round pick.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You're joking, right ?

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You'll need a lot more than that. Next year's ones as well plus more, maybe all this year's top 100 picks. There would be so little left on the roster it would be TL, Becton, Q, Mims a few vet FAs here and there and an expansion level roster.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Darnold and a QB competition in training camp.

If we end up with the second pick and JD doesn’t like Fields, entertain all reasonable offers and take the best one because he’ll need the ammo when he finds himself on the other side of this situation in the 22’ or 23’ drafts.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

10. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i do NOT want an ohio state qb anymore than a socal qb. none of those have ever won anything.

NYJetsO12, JetsKickAss and Cman68 like this.
  11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that it was the first time he's been challenged AT ALL and he looked dreadful. It validated the concerns that everyone had about him. He's throwing to wide open receivers with an extremely clean pocket. Most every college QB can do that. This isn't the first time we've seen this with an Ohio State QB...and it should scare people. Let's see how he does v. Clemson, but that game alone jumped Wilson over him for me (and I think many others).

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

3 years of Darnold is enough, new coach , new QB

Borat, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well, if Fields = Sam (your hypothesis) then it comes depends to what's more valuable in JoeD's mind: $80M/4yr cap space VS the value of this year's 2nd overall draft pick.

Either keep Sam $80M/4yrs and that 2nd overall pick is JoeD's to do with as he wishes.

or-

Draft Fields with that pick and spend that $80M/4yrs on FAs.

Draft pick/cap space....Cap space/draft pic....hmmmmm. Decisions Decisions.

Personally I think JoeD uses that pick on Fields (or Wilson or someother QB) and uses that $80M/4yrs to sign FAs.

But I would also love to see what Sam could do with a top oline and top notch weapons (see Allen in Buffalo!).

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes and Double Yes

In this League a QB will trump a promising OL or any other player

We need a QB for the Future and iTs NOT Fields or Sam Darnold sorry..

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

From a pure economics perspective and based on what we've seen from Sam, it would be crazy, IMO to keep him unless you commit NOW to an extension, which would be the biggest gamble of all gambles. And Douglas would be insane to stake his career to Sam Darnold based on what we have seen.

Even if you think Fields/Wilson CEILING is today's Sam Darnold (which we all agree is terrible), simple economics tell you that you must draft another QB in the spring.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with this line of thinking as there’s new systems and coaches throughout the years and the players themselves are individuals with their own traits. I get it, but just not my thing

I don’t love Fields but I think the hate lately is a little strong. He’s got great tools and I think a good coach would set him up for success. I guess we’ll see how he does against Clemson, true.

Wilson I’m iffy on and he hasn’t really been tested much either.

I am leaning Trey Lance personally between them all but he’s the ultimate wildcard

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

There was an article today from Mike Tannenbaeum that we should sign Mariota or Winston as a stopgap.I guess hes doing his best to never get an NFL job again with ideas like these.

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to an Ohio State QB per se, Joe Burrow was an Ohio State QB until he wasn't. That kind of underscores my real concern which is their development of QB talent. What would Fields have accomplished had he been the LSU transfer rather than Burrow? Where would Burrow have been drafted had he remained at OSU?
    It's quite possible that Fields will flourish in the NFL just like Burrow has but he'll need a year on the bench and a coaching staff the can teach him the NFL game. Burrow got that early by going to LSU, the system and philosophy there prepared him for pro football.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

People are over-reacting to Fields. It's silly to me and I think It will be more obvious before the draft.

Fields isn't super far from TL overall. He's just not. Blows my mind that people think Fields is so far away.

I could be wrong but I feel really good about, Fields.

I think he is far more talented, better, coming out of college than, Darnold.

I still think Darnold could be solid with good pieces around him. I just don't think he will ever be a QB that will elevate those around him, that will carry a team to victory.

Fields has that potential. Darnold, well, I don't see it.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

IF they both "rate the same" I think you gotta go with Fields, right?

You would have 4 years without having to pay him, unlike Darnold.

88toon and matt robinson 17 like this.