What's done is done...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah, I'm pissed. Hell, every Jet fan who isn't a homer should be. But at the end of the day, there's nothing we can do but accept what happened and move on. Gase is still the biggest problem facing the Jets. If Chris Johnson is stupid enough to keep him on the payroll, then he'll deserve all the hate and venom Jet Nation can send his way.

We won't be getting TLaw. The consolation prize isn't much as the #2 pick this season just doesn't have the value that other #2's had in the past. So what can JD do to make sugar cookies out of a shit pie? Whatever that's gonna be it had better work and pay dividends quickly.

With this new development, I don't see the Jets taking a developmental Qb so not only will we not have TLaw, we're not getting Fields or Wilson or any of the other top college QB's. I see JD rolling one more year with Sam. What terrifies me is the thought that Chris Johnson will intervene in the hiring process if not demand Gase stays on like with Rex and Idzik. Yes folks, we are the Jets and this can happen.

That leaves us with very few options for 2021. We have to trust JD to make good decisions with the picks. This is the most critical draft the Jets have EVER had going all the way back to Namath. JD cannot fck this up. There is no room for error.

So Jet fans, its not like we've never been disappointed before and we will be disappointed again in the future. Time to wring out the crying towels and put them away. In many aspects, 1-15 is worse than 0-16 because you won't even get the overall first round pick.

We're at a crossroads now. 2021 will determine the fate of this franchise for the next 5-10 years. We better choose wisely and that includes Christopher Johnson too. He needs to take a long vacation and let JD run things for a little while.

Just my humble opinion..

#1 Cman68, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

What needs to happen now, in the short term, is that the fans need to find a way to put the pressure on ownership to get rid of Gase. It can't be taken for granted that he's gone, especially as the team, minus the Seattle game, has looked much better as of late. Gase must go and Douglas MUST be given the keys to the franchise. Whether it's a Twitter campaign, banner fly-overs, whatever, it needs to be made clear to the Johnsons that the return of Adam Gase to "coach" this team in 2021 is unacceptable and would be a slap in the face of each and every fan of this moribund franchise.

harts24, papapump, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I still think we will look at Fields very closely. He brings a lot of tools and his character is strong. I know Russell Wilson is floated around a ton and Fields has capability to be similar to these guys.

College Playoffs will be telling too. TLaw vs. Fields as well

matt robinson 17 and King Koopa like this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Cman, good post. The concern I have is what you posted about CJ. I would hope- and I may add pray - that Woody comes back and pushes Chris to the side again. Now don't get me wrong, Woody's FB IQ is lower then mine and mine is in the crapper so... lets hope he defers to JD and we get a "good" disciplined HC. Someone who is a CEO and not focused on one side of the game... If not I will be typing this to you next year from a
    PSYCHIATRIC WARD!

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I despise the Johnson's but I don't think there is anyway Gase comes back. The reports that the decision to fire was made a month ago are likely very accurate.

The Johnson's don't like being embarrassed and if they keep Gase and we have fans next year the reaction would be so brutal. There is no way the Johnson's would stand for that. Plus the Jets would lose so many fans. As Jet fans we are beyond fed up and we are at the breaking point. Keeping Gase would break this fan base. No way is it even a consideration. I am surprised that his house is not up for sale yet. I bet his realtor has the pictures already taken and the listing ready to go. In 14 days Gase will be our ex-coach.

#5 Noam, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  6. Cman68

God help this franchise if he's not gone..

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Your humble opinion boss is the right opinion

Noam likes this.
  8. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I tend to agree with Noam and others that Gase is done. Part of me is scared he will be staying, but I've now convinced myself this is just paranoia on my part, so I'll ignore it and move on.

I also agree with Cman there's no point in crying over the Lawrence spilt milk. It's gone. So I'll pretend he's not even available and move on.

Where i don't necessarily agree with you, Cman, is that this is the most important Jets draft of our lifetimes. Not any more, it's not. It's just a draft where we have the #2 pick. We had the #3 pick a few years ago. Likely if we don't draft well, we will have a high pick again.

The Jets need a QB. That could be Sam, it could be Fields or Wilson, it could be Matthew Stafford, it could be Garoppolo. Personally on that list, I don't put Sam at the top but I also don't rule him out. Use the best assets we have to get the best QB we can. This is not the point to get cute and try to maximize asset value and gamble that Wilson will be available in the second round. Some judicious trading is okay but don't try to win the trade for the QB. Just win the QB. Plenty of other trades to win.

Of course, the Jets need a coach. I've been previously in favor of Jim Harbaugh and I would be happy if he landed here. Other potential options such as Robert Saleh are good too. Please don't try to get Cowherd, the game had likely passed him by.

With a QB and coach plan locked, we should rely on JD to drive the draft as best he can. Trading down to get capital or trading up to get talent. I'm also never in the camp of high priced FA WRs, but Chris Godwin is my personal binkie right now. JV had a pretty complete plan - better than anything I could come up with.

#8 Snoopdogg, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    REVISion and Noam like this.
  9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Adam Schefter had all but guaranteed that Gase was gone next year

JetsKickAss likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm 90+% confident Gase is gone. But I still have zero faith in the Jets to get it right going forward.

SOJAZ, westiedog1, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I took a nap this afternoon and had a dream that what was done was somehow undone.

In the dream, my buddy and I were lamenting the situation while watching a Monday afternoon Giants game when suddenly a late kickoff return in the Giants game somehow gave us the #1 pick back!

I went to my apartment window and there were thousands of Giants fans tailgating in the street. They were stunned. I started screaming and taunting them about it. Some of the Giants fans were actually cheering and apparently happy for the Jets, but I taunted them anyway.

Then I woke up.

ukjetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I had a dream last night that the Jets had somehow beaten the Rams to blow their shot at the first pick. Then I woke up and my dream became a nightmare.

13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

He also predicted Trevor #1 to the Jets:(

14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

15. Cman68

Adam Schefter isn't Christopher Johnson..

16. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Disagree entirely that the #2 pick "doesn't have the value" it would usually have.

You have a quarterback prospect that I think sucks donkey ass (Fields) but that has been universally regarded as the clear #2 and a guy that in almost any other draft would be #1.

This is incredibly premature at this point without the benefit of an off-season or without knowing whether or not Wilson declares, but this is shaping up to be the Luck-RGIII year again. Who got paid for their pick that year? It wasn't the Colts.

As much as I love Sewell and love the idea of just taking him and letting him and Becton be the twin pillars in which the foundation was built, if they get an offer like that, they have to take it.

17. Cman68

I think back to the most infamous Jets draft in modern times. That would be the Idzik 12. Not saying JD is as braindead as Idzik was, but that draft set this franchise back years. It's not just the #2 pick that's critical either. JD spent a lot of capital stockpiling picks. Most of our vets except for a few were traded for picks. JA among them who most likely will go on to a HOF career. JD has to hit on the majority of these picks just to restock the roster so yes, this draft is THE most important draft the Johnson owned Jets have ever had. If it isn't, then JD wasted a lot of time and effort.

I agree this is NOT the time to get cute and gamble someone will be available later. JD positioned the team higher in draft so he's has to leverage that into ballers. The one weak spot in all these years has been the acquisition of skilled talent. Especially at QB since we love our underclassmen from USC. If somehow JD can get Wilson or some other QB, that will be his second as he already spent a 4th on Morgan who I'm not sure even has a locker. That might be the Gase effect as we all know Gase hates rookies.

Planning has never been a strong suit when it comes to the Jets. JD may have a plan locked in as he doesn't seem to be particularly impulsive. Yeah, I get he's gonna need time to put this all together but we really can't do another 1-15 season like this one. That means he's gonna have to jettison his old buddy Adam Gase and he might have to grab Chris Johnson by the throat and shake some sense into his head.

This is why I think the 2021 draft/FA period is the most crucial period in the history of the Jets going back to Namath. This franchise is spinning its wheels trying to get out of its own way and honestly, the Jets are gonna have to take a long, hard look at how they run their franchise top to bottom.

One thing we all agree on, and even Dolphin fans passing thru advise, is that ADAM GASE HAS TO GO! No ifs, ands or buts..

SOJAZ and Snoopdogg like this.
  18. Cman68

The only way we'll be able to judge the value of the #2 pick is seeing how much teams would be willing to give for it..We don't know that yet. Really QB hungry teams will pony up substantial capital to get to #2? How much leverage does JD really have? Time will tell. What is obvious is that whatever we do with that pick, it had better yield dividends quick be it in the form of a starter or multiple picks. We missed out on a generational QB so we can spend the #2 overall on a potential starter 2-3yrs down the road is not acceptable.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

As long as gase is fired I will be on board and support.

period.

ColoradoContrails, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

With the #2 pick JD will have a lot of leverage to move down. Team wants to move up for Fields, they call. Team wants a LT they call about Sewell because he's not making it past Cincy. Will it yield an RG3 type haul? I doubt it, but it should be a two firsts and a second. I wouldn't even object too much if it was a 2021 pick. Roll with Darnold for a year. If he plays well then we have 3 picks to restock the roster and if he doesn't a ton of ammo to get a replacement.