Sam vs. Fields: Both Rate The Same, Who Do You Want ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 21, 2020.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Let's assume after being Ram-med, we stay in the #2 slot. Let's assume that Fields plays very good vs. Clemson and then maybe again if OSU wins vs. Alabama (sorry, Notre Dame).

If Joe Douglas' expertise says that Justin Fields is about the SAME as a QB as Sam Darnold in his early years AND long-term potential....if the scouting reports on him are "Sam Darnold, Midwest".....do you pick him at #2 to re-set the salary cap with a young QB ?

Do you do it to save moderately-high $$$ that it will take to extend Sam ?

You'd also get some picks for Sam (let's say a 2 and a 3, one of them maybe conditional).

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I wanna trade them both.

But if I had to choose it would be Sam because Fields will have more trade value.

amuck57 likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I’d prefer Darnold and Sewell over Fields and a 2nd.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s a risk but the potential to add 3 of the top 33 players to help Sam is appealing to me.

I’m ok leaving the decision up to JD & new CS but if no Trevor I’m kinda hoping they think Sam is salvageable.

amuck57, Pepsiguy5, azhar80 and 3 others like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If they're really both the same, it's a no-brainer to keep Sam because he has no grounds to demand much if anything more than he's currently being paid.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless Fields really shows a lot better version of himself against Clemson, and then possibly in the CG, I still see him as a "project" and not ready to start in the NFL for at least a year. If you consider this Year 1 of JD's rebuild, then that would mean it would be at least Year 3 before Fields gets to play.

For me this still depends on how Sam does these next two games. Unless JD believes Fields, Wilson, Jones, or someone else is a good bet to be better than Darnold, I say he stays with Sam for now.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’m still a believer in Fields...he’s not perfect at this point but he had one bad half where he hurt his hand and now he’s completely written off?

Pair him with a coach that knows what the hell he’s doing and I would expect good things to come

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If JD and the experts are not sold on Fields, then pairing Sewell with Becton will provide an instant upgrade to both the running and passing game irrespective of QB. It could be one position away from cementing a top 5 OL in the league. This does not negate upgrades in other much needed positions.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

For our running game I'd agree - improving our OL should improve it - all else being equal. We have a better line than we did last season and our running game has slightly improved from last year.

For our passing game though I think it is what it is until we get a better QB. Sam has had a better OL this year and comparable weapons to last year yet he's definitely regressed since then.

We're not going to be a team that consistently competes for a title until we can upgrade our QB.

10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

If Fields outshines Lawrence and beats Clemson, then beats Alabama for a National Championship, Jacksonville will outsmart themselves, draft him at #1, and Lawrence will fall in our laps.

Possible but not probable. Although Fields has had some very good games, he's played on the national stage twice this year and both times fell short of expectations.

Yankjetfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or he could get totally outplayed on the big stage and fall to the middle of the first round.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

they played each other last year and neither did anything special or outshined the other

LAJet likes this.
  13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I want nothing to do with Fields. I roll with Sam and take Sewell.

BudJet, barfolomew, azhar80 and 5 others like this.
  14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

FWIW, I take Sam and use the pick on Sewell or trade down a few spots (NOT ALOT !) for more picks.

If we are in the #2 spot, if OSU and Fields can have 2 good games, that pick could have some nice value.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not sold on Fields AT ALL

16. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Likewise. I hope whatever occurs, whatever path is taken if the Jags don’t do us a huge solid, don’t involve Fields.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I get the question but there are things left out

if neither one cost me a pick, I’d like to try Fields due to his accuracy and RPO athleticism. His major skills could win some games and he looks exciting.

but

getting fields means losing a crazy valuable pick

and he kinda shit the bed lately and it’s hard to tell if he’s great because his team is good.

this is Joe D problem
    I trust him

Pepsiguy5 and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  18. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

With Lawrence out of the picture, I honestly rather keep Sam. I am open to be convinced otherwise

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

not hard to tell at all

he is product of a great OL and dominant run game at a powerhouse school

I just watched the Northwestern game...he sucked. Badly.

he won’t translate to the NFL where the talent gap is much smaller, and his receivers will be covered while he’s under pressure. Mind you, that was Northwestern....not Alabama.

I want NO part of Fields at number two overall...

I’d rather use the pick on the OT or trade down and see if there’s a QB option later

Fields will be no better than Sam on our team

20. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

The answer to your question is yes.

The problem is that I don't think Fields is even close to Darnold as a prospect.

azhar80 and ColoradoContrails like this.