So, where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 21, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you're talking about drafting Sewell and moving Becton to RT, it's saying that you think Sewell is a better LT than Becton. There are about 5-8 OTs who could go bottom of the 1st or in the 2nd round. Just about any one of them could be a very good RT for the Jets. Sewell would be a luxury, overkill, and a cap buster.

2. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I think I sort of changed my mind. What I would do (if I was JD): call Matt Campbell and ask him who he wants to be our #2 overall pick (atm) for him to come be HC.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'd see if those conspiracy theories about Dallas tampering for TLaw might be true and trade the pick to the cowgirls for Dak.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Luck was an incredible player who carried them to the playoffs despite them never building around him. He's actually a good example of how a franchise QB makes you an instant contender even if you fail to build around him.

Of course Lawrence wasn't a sure thing but he was the closest thing to it since Luck.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Matt Campbell won’t care who our #2 pick will be cause he’ll just go coach the Jags and Lawrence if he wants to come to NFL.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Count me out of Fields at two

I don’t think he will be a good NFL QB. Haskins hasn’t looked nearly as good at Washington as he did at OSU. Different players I know, and Fields may be better, but Fields is lifted by that OL and run game. The few times he’s played against pressure and a real defense, he has sucked.

we’ll see what the playoffs bring, but I’m not sold at all.

jetstopgun likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Not necessarily. He might not like the Jaguars' owner or GM or much of the rest of the team. He might like JD so much and share the same philosophy that he opts to come here.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  8. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

If JD thinks Sewell could play right tackle then even better. Dominant, all pro level at right tackle over a serviceable right tackle all day. Maybe its overkill, but nothing wrong with a dominant offensive line.

ColoradoContrails and jetstopgun like this.
  9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Lawrence could be a great player, but we have so many glaring needs on this team. Listen to offers for the #2, and trade down if it makes sense. Draft for every position. Stop bringing in has beens playing out the string and commit to building a team from the ground up.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Just look at what Becton has done, especially yesterday against the GREAT AARON DONALD!. Imagine that times 2, and maybe adding Thuney. You don't see that as a massive franchise-altering move? I'm very high on Z. Wilson, but I haven't seen enough of him to be convinced he's as good as Mahomes, meaning I'm not certain he's "can't miss". Sewell is ACTUALLY can't miss.

I say you take Sewell. As to the next pick, QB or RB, or whatever, I want to see how Darnold does these next two games. If he does well, like he did yesterday, I'd be willing to roll with him for next season at least, probably signing a vet as a backup and hopefully finding out if Morgan is any good. If Darnold reverts to Gase form, then we'll need a QB to replace him, so I'd look to take a QB with that 2nd pick if a guy I like is there, unless I know of a decent QB I could trade for or sign, I'd still stick with Darnold. The 3rd pick would be the BPA between WR/TE/RB/Edge/CB, and I would proceed from there based on which spots I was able to fill.

jetstopgun and semperfigreen like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

At the very least, get a RB, WR, and TE in the draft. All three can be addressed by the end of day 2. The skill position group should become formidable enough that a new QB would walk into a good situation if the team moves on from Sam.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree I long for the return of aerial football, BUT... I'll take a consistent winning team capable of winning a SB over the dreck we've had to put up with. I would like to be more convinced that Wilson could be as good or better than Lawrence; I'm pretty confident that Fields won't be. But if no QB beyond Lawrence is available to them, taking Sewell is the next best thing. Creating a great OL makes getting an above average QB much easier.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Where I’ll go from here is I’ll be praying like hell that the Jags find a way to win one while the Jets lose two.

Barring that happening though there are 3 options with the #2 pick and only 3 options. They are..

1. Draft Justin Fields
    2. Draft Zack Wilson
    3. Trade out of spot

Much of this decision will come down to how JD and new CS feel about Darnold.

TBH I’m hoping at this point that they believe Darnold can be rebuilt and reach his potential.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Lets start by hiring a coach first. We need that before anyone desirable wants to come here.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Lots to unpack here but I'll start with:

Darnold did not have a good game yesterday. Throwing for 200 yards and 1 TD is not a good game in the modern NFL and it speaks to how low our expectations for Sam have gotten. It's crystal clear at this point that Sam's absolute ceiling is game manager QB. That's not good enough to compete unless the rest of your team is elite. We need to move on from Sam.

Regarding the offensive line - it improved leaps and bounds over last year's iteration and we still had the worst offense in the NFL this year. All the talent on the offensive line is meaningless if there's no one worth protecting under center and no one good for him to get the ball to. Sewell would be overkill for us, especially since we have gaping holes at many other places on the roster.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. Waiting Since 68

Waiting Since 68 New Member

Take Sewell. Build a formidable OL. IMO, Darnold will be good with a competent OL and HC.

17. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but we're going to have to totally disagree on this one. I think taking Sewell is one of the worst things JD could do. It will cause too much cap space to be tied up in the OL. More than likely, that will in turn cause problems in retaining skill position players (assuming that JD continues to draft them). It's not a good value. That's way too high to draft a RT. There are 5-8 OTs likely to be drafted in the bottom part of round 1 and in round 2. If Douglas really thinks we need to add a RT, then he'll have his choice of several of them with Seattle's pick or our 2nd round pick. If he trades down from #2, he'll have additional picks with which to take a RT.

If I'm JD I'm either taking the QB I like at #2, or I'm trading down and taking the QB I want, or one of Chase, Pitts, and Waddle to help whomever my QB will be. I'm not wasting the pick on a RT (and imo that's what you'd be doing taking Sewell). That would be a luxury we cannot afford.

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

But this is exactly what I'm trying to gently point out. XX years from now is anyone going to remember the 2010-2020 Colts as some golden age for the franchise? If anything its going to be remembered with a slight wince and feeling of disappointment by Indy fans.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how TL does in the NFL. By no means to I expect him to be bad but I suspect when he's on an NFL field he's going to look like a nice solid QB that still puts his pants on one leg at a time. Which is fine. But I don't think he's actually going to measure up to what a lot of people are picturing in their mind. Relative to some of these unfair expectations I suspect he's going to prove to be a relative disappointment. A slightly more refined and less physical version of Josh Allen maybe?

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we draft Sewell, we'll have a top 5 offensive line. But it still won't solve our problems at QB or the skill positions (which these days means pass catchers), and the key to a good offense (aside from an elite QB) is a good balance between the line and skill position players. Also, we'd enjoy Becton and Sewell for a few years, in which we aren't going to win anything without the QB, and then they'll demand big contracts, and we'll only be able to keep one of them anyway. We'll essentially be making the same mistake we did with the DL (stacking it at the expense of the rest of the team), and while the OL is more important than the DL, we'll still suffer for it.

NCJetsfan, Bellys Lies and REVISion like this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Fields....avatar.....I get it..... : )

"Is that Ohio, Columbus?"
    [​IMG]