Only 1 QB in the last 25 years has been drafted #1 and won the Super Bowl for that same team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SOXXX2, Dec 20, 2020.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Why I am not going to lose any sleep on not getting Lawrence. Good point. Just build a very good draft for the next two years and let it take care of itself.

truthbtold likes this.
  2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Only technically, because the Chargers and Giants didn't agree to the Eli trade until after he was 'picked' and the Giants were on the clock. He was obviously the #1 pick, the Giants wanted to trade up before the draft and Eli had no intention of signing with SD.

But yeah even counting Eli that's three. Of course there's only been two QB's during that time who were truly deemed 'generational', Peyton and Luck. Peyton did lead the Colts to sustained success and a SB, Luck almost did but the Colts screwed him up physically. Elway was the last generational QB before them and he won twice in Denver.

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Love this post. Absolutely spot on.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Part of the big potential turnaround with Lawrence would be making the job much more attractive to potential top tier coaching candidates...

I'm hoping there's some massive trade downs overall to improve this team

#24 stinkyB, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Noam likes this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes but 0-16 would of got us Trevor, got rid of Gase and brought in a top coach. Now the coaching job is much less attractive and we need to figure out what to do with our picks and our roster. Do we keep Darnold the ghost man or take Fields who looks terrible against stiff competition. It’s a really tough off season now for JD...

Brook! and REVISion like this.
  6. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Look at recent draft history.

2016. Jared Goff goes 1. Wentz 2. Dak in the 4th round.

2017. Trubisky goes 2. Mahomes goes 10th and Watson 12th.

2018. Baker 1. Darnold 3. Allen goes 7th and Lamar Jackson at end of 1st round.

2019. Kyler Murray goes 1. Daniel Jones 6th.

2020 Joe Burrow 1st
    Tua 5th. Herbert 6th.

Only 2019 looks like a case where it is absolutely clear there is a huge drop-off after 1st QB taken. Most years better QB comes later. And this is recent history.

There are only 2 QBs in 2021 draft that don't look risky. Lawrence and Zach Wilson.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Jets just won the lottery. They have Becton at RT and Sewell at LT. Hire a real coach and watch what happens.</p>&mdash; Tyler Menting (@FootballUnlock) <a href="">December 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

themorey and Noam like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Assuming we don't get #1, it's back to the drawing board. And that is, let's see how NCAA season fully plays out, and then evaluating guys like Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones, etc, in private workouts, interviews, etc... Then we have to see if JD really likes another QB enough to spend #2. Maybe Lance or Wilson's stock goes up by a lot after teams evaluate them in person. We just have to wait and see. For a while it looked like Fields could give TL run for his money, but that is no longer the case and there is just no consensus #2 QB pick, unless one emerges as the process moves along. If not, get Sewell, and maybe trade up using Seattle pick to get one of the 4 aforementioned QBs. I still feel it may not be a bad idea to get one of these guys as Sam really disappointed this year.

8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Here's another way to look at it....every "generational" QB in the last 40 years has taken his team deep into the playoffs and if he plays at least 10 years went to the Super Bowl -- and won it.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Guys, let's not try to make an argument that it's not a good idea to have a generational type of QB prospect. We need to maintain some sort of logic on this board. There aren't many talents like this. Manning, Luck, Elway maybe in recent memory. Two of them won multiple SBs, and one (Luck) retired too early. All of them drastically changed the course of their franchises for years to come. Even Luck, who only played 6 seasons, made Pro Bowl in 4 of them. You know why there are not too many? Because that's the definition of a generational prospect: there are few of them, once in a generation. Trevor Lawrence is one of them, and it absolutely great to have one on your team. Making any argument otherwise is simply illogical. We still have a 29% chance of getting one. Hope really dies last, doesn't it!

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah if we had the #1 pick the offseason would've been relatively easy. The plan would've been clear and obvious - take TL and build around him.

What do we do now? Reach for a QB we're not in love with at #2? And risk wasting the pick again like we did with Sanchez/Darnold? That's tough to sell to the fans. Do we not take a QB at #2 and trot out Sam for another season? That might be even tougher to sell to the fans.

I just can't believe we had our rebuild sitting in front of us and fucked it up late in the season yet again. I really can't believe it. I feel like it's a bad dream.

Borat likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that what the fan's plan was and what Douglas's plan is are necessarily the same thing. In fact, I'd wager that they're miles apart.

First, he was never tanking.

Second, we don't know that he would've wanted Lawrence at #1, that his plan all along might have been (and still is) to trade back for a bunch of premium picks and assets. All those wringing their hands and saying "Oh no! What will we do now?" I guarantee you do not include Douglas in their ranks.

Take a step back and reflect on the massive difference that Becton has made. Now double that by adding Sewell. Then add in a couple of stud offensive weapons and an edge rusher and a CB, and things don't look quite so "end of the world".

And also, don't forget the Jets still do have a shot at the #1 pick, as fading as that light is.

My advice: Put down the razor, climb out of the tub, and dry yourself off, and then Google Detroit Lions - now there's a team whose fans ought to pick up the razor blades over.

truthbtold and Borat like this.
  12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Here's the deal, yea maybe TL wasn't the be all prospect many people thought but what he would have brought us was a flicker of hope; a reason to watch next year's dumpster fire of 3-13.
    Now, we get to watch Justin Fields flop all over the field while setting the teams fortune back another 10 years.

REVISion likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think JD was tanking either but at this point in the season he should've fully embraced the tank. We only had to lose 3 games and we'd be as attractive a rebuild as any team in the NFL. Now we're stuck wondering which of the tough options we should go with.

If JD's plan wasn't to take Lawrence anyway then he is an idiot and we should question everything else he does.

The massive difference Becton has made? We have the worst offense in the NFL. LT is important but it's not what wins you games in the modern NFL. QB's and weapons on offense win you games. We were beautifully set up to get a top QB and we have the capital to surround him with talent and we screwed it up.

I know you're trying to be positive but it's hard to overstate how bad yesterday was for the future of this team. We had a perfect rebuild staring us in the face and now we only have question marks.

Borat likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is no question this "win" was absolutely devastating for the Jets - probably worse than any loss in the team's history. I do want to point out two things:

- We still have 30% chance of getting a pick according to odds makers. Yes, it's not much, but it is a decent amount, and the hope dies last. The odds are there, so we need to root for Jags, like we have been for some time, and let's see if a Christmas miracle happens within next two weeks.
    - As bad as this "win" was for this franchise, and like you said it cannot be overstated, it's not JD's fault we won. I do feel he embraced the tank and got rid of some players, like Bell, Williamson, Desir, etc... But, there is only so much he can do from GM spot. If we had a situation like Patriots, where coach is also a GM, then for sure you would make a few calls differently and find a way to lose yesterday's game. But, there is nothing more JD could do here unfortunately. Coaches and players are trying to win, and I am quite certain we would have more than one win now with a different coach. But hey, even broken clock is correct twice a day. Not much JD could do here.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya 100% agree.
    JD really has his work cut out for him now

REVISion likes this.
  16. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

I dont know who this Tyler Menting fellow is but I like his thinking about having Sewell and Becton while adding a real coach.

17. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Think,it’s a little disingenuous to omit Eli Manning. He won two Super Bowls for the only team he ever played for. San Diego essentially drafted him for NYG as NYG did with Rivers for San Diego. NYG win two Super Bowls with the no. 1 overall. How is that worth excluding?

18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I sincerely DOUBT that Joe Douglas would NOT take Lawrence at #1. He's not an idiot.

There's a 0.01% chance he would trade the pick for a haul -- but that is now gone, too.

19. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The problem is Gase. If he’s here next season (and all indications are he will be), no matter what “magic” Douglas may work it will all be for nought if that idiot is still there. Stop crying over draft position, and let’s make it clear to ownership that if they keep that clown, it’s going to hit them in the pocketbook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Please explain the bolded.