Another QB possibility

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Dec 20, 2020.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Will there be a market for Sam, based on his career to date, even at $20 million?

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

No. Offer him a 3 year extension at 5 per.... he prob wont take it, but it's not like he's going to get other offers

#22 stinkyB, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Maybe, and that's not saying much. Too expensive at this point with injury history. Pass.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Don't know really. But all I meant was he's due for a new contract coming off a TERRIBLE season, so IF we're forced to re-up him, it shouldn't break the bank to do it.

JetBlue likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Drafting Sewell is not the only option aside from drafting Wilson. Douglas could trade down a little and take one of Chase, Parsons, or even Fields, or trade down further and take one of Pitts, Rousseau, Payne, Surtain, and Waddle. He can trade for a QB or sign a vet in FA

RochesterJet likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. He has to in order to stay in compliance with league rules about cap spending. That doesn't mean he will repeat the crazy signings of a Bell, Mosley, or the horrible CB that Mac signed that I've blocked out of my mind. It does mean that he will look to sign a younger, high quality OL, probably a WR, and maybe a CB or Edge.

7. NCJetsfan

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We are not disagreeing. He will find some value and quality, like he did last year with Font, Perriman, etc... Maybe even a tad more expensive. But vast majority will be via draft and one year deals.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This guy is in the same situation that Marcus Mariota was in with Tennessee. Joe is not going to re-sign, Sam. Jets are going to look to replace him and keep building the team through the draft until they find their FQB. It has worked with Tennessee I’m sure it can work with Jets.

Snoopdogg likes this.
  10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

LOL to give up on Sam for Carson Wentz!??

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Blessing? 100M contract, with 50 guaranteed? What is this good stuff you are on, I want some of that as well, especially after last night. The whole point this year was to evaluate the guy, and his QB rating is 70 - the worst in NFL! Team is 1-13. JD would be an absolute fool to give ANY extension at this point. If we end up drafting QB in 1st round, trade him, otherwise he competes with Morgan and a vet for starting job next year and plays out the contract. We still have option for 5th year, which Sam hasn't earned.

K'OB, ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Dammit--we drafted Morgan for some reason other than to give him a paycheck--give him a fukin shot this season to see what he looks like--what's to lose.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Step Curry contract 2 extenson. Get sam on the veternas minimum!!

14. Footballgod214

I'm sure you're right. Sam's impending contract will almost certainly force JD to look elsewhere...for another rookie contract.

15. Footballgod214

If JD can re-up Sam for $20-22/yr it's a bargain. That's less than half of what other QBs are getting. Sam just beat the #1 defense in the nfl...the same defense that just crushed Seattle Seahawks 2 weeks ago. Look, I know, I know. But the NFL has a funny way of things working out sometimes. IF we end up with Sam, JD is in the drivers seat.

Snoopdogg likes this.
  16. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Yup, this is also my belief. He will have a market, so we can't get it him on the cheap.

Oddly enough Jameis Winston only got $1 million in this market even though Mariota got $18 million, so what do I know?

Red Menace likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Bring in Dalton to compete with Sam in 2021.

18. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I don't disagree that Sam will need to be paid and that's a good price. Having said that the highest rated single game QB in 2014 was... Geeeeeno! We can't overfit on a single game performance.

And how much "credit" do you give Sean McVay for attempting _two_ long bombs on 3rd and 4th down when the Rams just needed a few years to get into tying FG range? Idiot.

#38 Snoopdogg, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  19. Footballgod214

Yup. And Geno was the last rookie QB to beat Belichick. I get your point though. JD has watched Sam every game this year, and tape of Sam his first 2. If JD feels it's in our interest to pay Sam to stay vs drafting some other rook, I guess I gotta go with that.

Sam had a very good game yesterday against a very tough defense. Sam was crisp and quick with his throws, and made good decisions all day. I also gotta give Gase at least a tiny bit of credit for sticking with Gore. Gore's TD run on 4th and 1 behind Mount Becton was nice. Gore's first 1st down at the end was a great, up the middle power run for 8 yards that our other backs probably wouldn't have gotten. Then, Gore's final 1st down was really amazing. First, he got clear fast, turned around and waved at Sam for the ball (2 yards short of the sticks). Now here's the biggest thing Gore did....after catching that pass, he drove his body backwards for the 1st down. Tremendous field awareness. If Gore had tried to turn and run upfield after catching that pass, he gets tackled a yard short of the sticks and we end up punting it back to the Rams with 2 mins left on the clock. So ya, I'll give Gase a tiny bit of credit for sticking with Gore. It made all the difference.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam had 200 yards passing and 1 TD. He did not have a very good game. We HAVE to stop doing this thing with Sam where we act like he had a great game every time he doesn't throw 3 INT's.

He had a mediocre game. It was slightly better than his average game but it was mediocre by NFL starting QB standards. I see people around here acting like Sam's game yesterday was cause for excitement around building around him going forward. Total lunacy.