Penei Sewell

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 20, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Joe Thomas, Orlando Pace, and Quenton Nelson are a few OL prospects who were highly regarded with minor flaws. Maybe Sewell is just that good.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of thinking about this on the positive side though. Sewell's measurables seem fantastic and the NFL combine and offseason, while not perfect, are a fairly good system of putting these prospects to the test. Assuming he comes through all of that and remains as highly regarded I'm thinking the Jets are a potentially great spot for him. Keep Becton right where he is, don't mess with him at all, and let Sewell break in as the rookie, RT, a little bit less pressure than he'd have going elsewhere....

After watching the utter shit in front of Darnold the last 18 months as he gets pounded, raped, mugged, demolished, demoralized, beaten, snaps sailing over his head, and off to his side I'll just go ahead and admit it. I can be swayed into thinking a flawless tackle prospect is a good idea :)

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It doesn’t make sense because we’d have to eventually only pay one of them.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think its worth it to pay two top tackles a high price. After QB its debatable whether tackle is the second most important position on the team. You could argue edge pass rusher or corner but to have bookend tackles means that the defense has much harder time trying to get to your QB from the edge.

5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Our OL ineptitude this year has been from the interior. Not sure Sewell makes a huge difference tbh.

6. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You easily pay both tackles big contracts. Champagne problems...

True. But this gives us more room to give McGovern help with a Thuney-type signing. JD needs to sign Thuney and draft Sewell (assuming pick #2). The OLine overhaul is now complete. Now you can give help on the interior. This OLine will be top-10...maybe 5 in the league.

Starters...
    Becton (LT)
    Thuney (LG)
    McGovern (C)
    Sewell (RG/T)
    Fant (RT-Swing)

Backups (can be upgraded)
    Clark
    Van Roten
    Alex Smith
    Edoga

Red Menace likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm firmly planted in the "football is still won in the trenches camp" (despite the shitty changes the league is doing to the game) but do they spend the #2 pick on what essentially will be a right tackle? (REX would be excited I guess ;)

Brook! and MoWilkBeast like this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It might not magically make them winners, but having Fort Knox in front of you sure makes everything else on offense a hell of a lot easier.

Red Menace, Skicats and FJF like this.
  9. stinkyB

Back to GROUND N POUND baby! ;)

Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yep. Agree with this. With the left side looking set the need for a potentially elite tackle seems gone. Trading down seems viable and could net a top tier right tackle and/or interior line combo which might be of more benefit going forward and reduces the likelihood of having to pay two tackles top dollar within the space of two seasons - as Sewell would surely want a contract comparable to whatever Becton gets or would get it in FA.

ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we’re not 1 I’m thinking trade down try to get another 1st next year, run Sam one more time and if it doesn’t work we have the ammo to get a qb in 2022.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. stinkyB

Another stud lineman, and RB rd 1..... WR rd 2, then go defense the back half of the draft

If Sam can't work with that.... adios

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like it with exception of Edoga, he needs to go, don’t want him as a backup either.

#33 Red Menace, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm fully on board with trading back. If that doesnt happen, I'm on board with Sewell.

The only goal I have if I'm the Jets is surrounding Darnold with the most talent possible. He gets one more chance to prove he is worth a second contract, may as well put him in the best position possible so there arent any excuses. And if he burns out, whoever your starter is next season should be in a pretty good environment.

If I'm the Jets, I'm trying my hardest to bring in Thuney/Allen Robinson. I'd even consider drafting another WR with Seattles pick.

Becton
    Thuney
    C/McGovern
    McGovern/RG
    Sewell

Allen Robinson
    Denzel Mims
    Jamison Crowder
    Rondale Moore (or whomever)

If Darnold cant succeed with this (and a new coach), a second contract won't even be a question. And whomever gets brought in next, should have a bevy of talent to work with.

I'd probably also address RB/Pass Rusher/CB with the second and third round picks.

almbleamal likes this.
  15. Red Menace

This is the blueprint that the Jets need to carry out.

16. stinkyB

Then there will at least be enough of a team to ruin the next young QB in 5 years instead of three!

17. Red Menace

Honestly, it depends on the off-season and who they sign in FA.

18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Sewell followed up w/Najee Harris with Seattle pick would make missing out on Lawrence somewhat palpable.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i wouldn't use the 2nd pick on a LT we'd have to move to RT. I like walker little in the 3rd for out RT. it's a deep tackle class again and he's fallen due to not playing football in pretty much 2 years. he was a projected 1st rounder then he got hurt, went back to college and then opted out for 2020. we should be able to get him in the 3rd.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Building a team from the lines out is an antiquated notion from the 90's. It may have been true back in the day but the rules in the NFL have changed too much since then.

You win nowadays by having a great QB and surrounding him with speedy weapons who can get separation and do damage after the catch. On the defensive side of the ball we need to emphasize the people who cover those guys and the guys who get to the QB - edge rushers and CB's.