Joe Douglas Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Dec 20, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Douglas didn't let the top pick go. His resume will not look worse because the Jets won today. You're really making yourself look clueless.

2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's nothing that Douglas could have done secure the first pick beyond what he's already done. If the power structure had him above the coach, with the coach reporting to him, then there would have been something that he could have done. But, that's not how the Jets are set up. He stripped the roster down to begin the rebuild and gave Gase a roster that was clearly bad enough to go 0-16. That's all that he could do, outside of doing somethings that would clearly raise some eyes in the league office in terms of tanking: such as deactivating Darnold and Flacco (putting them on IR or something) in order to leave Gase with only Morgan to work with, or other things like that. Outside of ludicrous stuff like that, Douglas has done all that he can to help the Jets to secure the first pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My intent is not making a personal attack. I'm trying to wake you up, and help you see how ridiculous your opinion is. It's not personal as far as I'm concerned. It's all about this one particular opinion/issue.

I value you and respect you as a poster. That's why I'm trying so hard to help you see how your perspective is totally wrong on this.

#103 NCJetsfan, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

JD didn’t let the pick go the team on the field won the game......

And again I think it’s too early to judge JD. He was hired mid season ( actually mid off season after another guy did the drafting ) and his first solo off season was marred by the covid shut down. I think his draft was very decent. He needs about another 2 solid off seasons to set this straight .....he has a lot of ammo let’s see what happens.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Quite possibly, but the Johnson's never splurge on HC's. They may have to flash some extra green this time since we have been a laughingstock for years now and need an immediate culture change.

Jets79 and mrjet80 like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We can agree to disagree, but I'm not going to change my mind unless Douglas actually does turn the Jets into a consistent winner, which I don't think he will. To be clear, this isn't just about what happened today. The biggest reason I want Douglas gone is because of what happened to Sam under his watch; he said a lot of nice things about protecting Sam, but in the end, he gave Sam a terrible supporting cast and allowed the worst coach in the league to ruin his development while praising that coach to the media. But I was willing to forgive him for that if it were all part of a master plan to tank for Trevor. But now that that failed too, my suspicion that Douglas is part of the problem has become a lot stronger.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Douglas could have blown his cap wad and turned the Jets into a solid contender for picking 8th-12th in the 21’ draft - disappointing fans expecting a much improved, playoff contending team this season.

Douglas did increase the teams draft capital, maintain a very healthy amount of cap space, and increase the odds that we’ll have a more competent head coach in 21’ - at the cost of disappointing fans who should have had low expectations for this season.

Agree or disagree, I think most of us can at least see the angle he’s working.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

question, i was on over the cap earlier and noticed that the jets have 50 million in dead cap this year and spent much much less than any other team in the league. is all of that dead cap on the few guys we jettisoned like leveon? id love to see where the breakdown of that 50 million is that is counting and who it was for.

jets and jacksonville are 20 million less in active spending than the rest of the league, is there some kind of benefit we get from having 27 million in cap space?

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

unused cap carries over

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. alleycat9

thank you

11. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I'm not there yet. He's had 1 draft....and it looks like a good one.

He blew the Ritchie Anderson FA thing, agreed. He's NOT getting fired with 5 years left on his deal. Maybe in 2 or 3 more years.

alleycat9 likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Richie Anderson left the Jets at the end of the 2002 season and signed as a free agent with the Cowboys, while Douglas was beginning his third year in Baltimore's scouting department.

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. alleycat9

jerk :)