Joe Douglas Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Dec 20, 2020.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Tell me outside of OT what position he improved?
    I guess you can argue Punter, but the numbers haven’t vastly improved.

I’m not sure what we have yet in Mims as he was barely out there, but WR position was downgraded in 2020.
    OG and C were downgraded. RB was downgraded. S was downgraded.
    Other positions were poor and were not improved.
    He’s done terrible so far, as bad as any previous GM, although admittedly a short sample size.
    There’s a reason we are a 1 win team, it’s not hard to see.

One other thing I’m down on Douglas about is his steadfast commitment to Gase.
    Huge mistake which anyone could see coming, but Douglas actually wanted him here and stood by him while ship was sinking.
    The combo of Gase and Douglas has probably ended Darnold here.

#81 BacktoQueens, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Well we're gonna get to see how great Joe Douglas is now. If he's as good as all these insiders seem to think he is, he'll either find a fucking QB without being gifted a generational talent or find a fucking coach that can make Darnold into one.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  3. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

What were the records of the clowns that were GMs before him? We actually had some talent on our team when we hired him ,now we have Q. Williams a beast, drafted by past gm, Maye, former gm, Becton drafted by JD, no great free agent pick ups I could have done or any good Jets fan on this site at least as good if not better job of GM as JD has done so far.All of the teams in the afc east have gotten better except the Pats, {who are reloading } but the Jets under JD. Now we are forced to pay Sam and hope he can be saved or over draft a second rate qb with a top pick in the draft. If I was GM, sitting at the 2nd pick of the draft 2the second yr into my contract I need to draft the best qb available. Sam is the worst qb or near the worst in each of his first 3 yrs. I need the qb that I build my future on. Sam getting me to a 4-12 in a very tough afc east yr 4 in his career does not do it.
    All of the teams we are facing in our division are doing a great job. The Bills one of the best teams in football. The fins are halfway through the rebuild I had hoped we Or JD could match and they are in the playoff picture halfway through their rebuild. Plus you have Belly who will go down as the coach with the most wins in NFL history as the third-best team in your division When we hired jd we all thought we were the team that would replace the Pats as the dominant team,yet where are we now?JD destroyed our team

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Becton and Mims look like starters. Mann has done reasonably well. Hall can be a #2 CB with experience. Davis has shown flashes. The rest have underwhelmed or haven't played at all.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Mims has already shown he's legit and a good bet to be better than Anderson. I disagree that OG and C were downgraded...I believe in time we'll see they were improved, if not a lot. The Jets ran for the most yards against the Raiders than they did in the past couple years so I don't know how you say the RBs are downgraded. In short, almost all of the underperformance you mention can be laid directly at Gase's feet for shitty coaching, schemes, and playcalling.

And the fact that you still insist on believing that Douglas has ANY say in firing Gase really undermines the rest of your arguments.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Totally agree that a lot of the underperformance could be due to Gase. That’s a fair point.

In terms of reporting structure, remember Mac didn’t report to Gase either and we saw how that ended.
    After signing a 6 yr deal Douglas has tremendous influence, and I believe is the main reason Gase is still here.
    I’m not even 100% convinced Gase will be fired at all.
    He’s shown him too much support for my liking.

I’ll agree to disagree on the RBs. Getting rid of Bell, Montgomery and Powell just to watch Gore and UDFAs today was not inspiring, and those were moves to appease Gase.

I’m curious as to why you think C and G have improved though.
    Is it Clarke? I was optimistic about him but haven’t heard much in awhile.
    McGovern might be salvageable if we get some decent G play around him.
    Hope you are right on that.
    Still think keeping Harrison, Osemele or Winters would’ve been wise and helped Darnold and the O though.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We don't know whether Douglas has been working to get rid of Gase, and the Johnsons are just being the Johnsons. We'll see at the end of the season apparently. In any case, it still isn't up to Douglas, any more than firing Macc was due to Gase - in the end it was CJ who finally woke up. If Gase had something to do with that, fine, but it still wasn't Gase pulling the trigger.

As to the RB situation, you said it yourself: getting rid of Bell, Montgomery, and Powell, and signing Gore were Gase moves.

I think the C & G have improved because there does seem to be better pass pro and run blocking. Admittedly not great, but better. But I also agree that keeping Harrison, Osemele, and WInters might've been okay had Gase known how to utilize them to their best ability. But clearly they didn't play well for Gase, so what was Douglas to do? Again, this falls on Gase, not Douglas.

This is what I base my support of Douglas on: He played high level football himself. He came up through the ranks in very good organizations that have had long track records of success. Ina year and half he's improved the team more than Macc and Idzik did in their 7 years. He may prove my faith is misplaced, but so far he hasn't given me any reason to think that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Patently absurd!! Your expectations are unrealistic and irrational.

9. NCJetsfan

Ridiculous and spoken like an adolescent fan rather than a knowledgeable adult.

10. NCJetsfan

Very few NFL GMs would do something like that, particularly not one who learned under Ozzie Newsome. Get real!!!

11. NCJetsfan

It means that it's ridiculous of fans to expect an NFL team to do what you suggest, and nonsense to get upset because they don't. The fault is with you and your expectations, not Douglas.

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If we don't land the #1 pick, I think we will really get a good barometer on how respected Joe is in league circles. Had we been in position to draft Lawrence, I think we could have multiple high-level options for HC. Now, Joe's reputation may be put to the test to attract a legitimate HC candidate.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I disagree. That would have been one SB. Lawrence could have made us a perennial playoff team and possibly multiple SBs. This is MUCH worse imo.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is why most draft evals don't start in Ernest until after 2 or 3 full seasons. It takes time for any group of true rookies to get their feet wet, earnt their stripes, fight off the vet in front of them, then come into their own. And some late picks are intended to be depth or career backups, which every team needs (lots of!). I think our first draft was fine, and I love the way Joe Douglas maneuvered around, trading here and there, coming away with even more players. Becton was his star achievement. He's a rare rookie who's started out at the top of his game. The trick for Becton is to continue to get better and not fall off for some reason (injuries, weight gain, focus, etc). My early thoughts is JD did a very good job.

15. NCJetsfan

Excellent point!

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well that’s a valid possibility however I think there will be candidates who are very interested in the Jets job especially an offensive minded one who likes Darnold’s potential. You can also throw in the high draft picks and available salary cap .....remember money talks.

17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well one SB win in the last 52 years is better than none. TL looks like a stud but we have no way of knowing what the future holds. Perhaps he’ll win several Super Bowls. Perhaps he’ll flame out - maybe NY would be too much for a kid from SC.

Your point is valid but to this day it still drives me crazy the Jets were literally 25 minutes away.....

18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's not going to be a head coaching candidate worth his salt that is going to want to come to this dumpster fire. The only chance we have to get this right is for Douglas, assuming that he's even given the opportunity to hire the coach, is able to find a diamond in the rough from the coordinating ranks around the league. Nobody that is in demand is going to want to come to this, a team without the top pick, no QB, and no way to attract quality free agents here.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous of fans to expect their team to do what's best for the team? Well that's a strange world we live in.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Again, stop it with the personal attacks. If you want to call my opinions dumb, then fine. But this is the second time you've gone after me personally.