Darnold vs Fields

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jedi mind tricks, Dec 20, 2020.

?

Who do you want at QB?

1. Darnold

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Fields

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Fuck both

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Darnold from USC eh?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It changes in the sense that Darnold should be on the roster in 2021 as Fields should be on the bench to start the season. He needs more development.

Lawrence is your day one starter no matter what and Darnold should be shipped out.

I don't think this changes the fact that Darnold has a lot of deficiencies in his game that will prevent him from being the guy. But I'd rather keep him than sign a journeyman to be a stopgap starter that'll present no trade value if he plays well.

3. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Totally agree I don’t like fields at all.... but I’m not sold on Wilson I watch him play against coastal Carolina he looked pedestrian to me in that game not enough of a resume for me to reach on him with the second or third pick in the draft... trade back accumulate picks or get that Oregon tackle and bring some offense of weapons in roll a dice with Sam

cmcm750203 likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is very true. Very true.

..but I don't believe this Is the same case. It doesn't fit. Fields has played at a very high level, very high level. He Is a better prospect than any of those former OSU QB's you've mentioned.

This will be beaten to death by people as far of how poorly OSU has produced QB's over the year, but It truly Isn't relevant when talking about, Fields. He's on another level.

5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This is why I was never fully on board the idea that Darnold was the savior who was going to come in here and right the ship. Don't get me wrong, I was ecstatic when we drafted him. I thought he could do well here and he was the one that I wanted out of that class, and we had to have a QB in that draft, but there was always that issue of being from USC, whose QBs tend to not go on to great NFL careers, that hangs over him.

Counter that with Watson and Lawrence out of Clemson. The first game I saw Watson play, I knew he was destined for great things. I don't watch a lot of college football, which is why I tend not to comment on any of the guys coming out of the draft because I'm not overly informed on them. I first saw Watson play against Alabama, and within a few minutes of watching him, I knew he was going to go on to do great things at the NFL level. I remember turning to my dad at some point during that game and saying that the Jets had to have this guy. I still wish we'd drafted him. I feel the same way about Lawrence. Now two trash organizations in the AFC South get to reap the rewards of their services.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Trade down to somewhere around 10-15 and take whoever of Fields, Wilson, or Lance is still available. No idea who the best of those three will be, so might as well get some extra draft picks to build around the guy we get.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch so my opinion is simply that - an opinion on having watched a LOT of QBs over the decades. And yes, the game has changed, but how QBs play really hasn't, although they've gotten more mobile.

Okay, with that caveat, my POV is that Fields is more of a runner than a passer, and he seems to panic a bit under pressure. His accuracy drops a lot when that happens, and that's one of his strengths. Again, my assessment is based on a couple of games and some video reviews. I don't know if he has any latitude to change plays at the LOS, but it doesn't seem like he does - is that because he's not allowed to, or because they don't trust him to, or what? I think he would benefit from staying in school another year. In addition to allowing him to mature and learn some things, he wouldn't have to compete with Lawrence.

Now, maybe when they play Clemson in the semi final game, Fields lights it up and they win, or at least he outplays Lawrence. That would change my mind for sure. I've got nothing personal against him, but I just don't see him being a good fit for the Jets.

jetstopgun likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

Not worried about Fields being more of a runner than a passer, you can say the same thing about Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, and Taysom Hill. As long as he has a decent combination of arm strength and accuracy and isn't a headcase, he should do well in the NFL.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Most of those players were recruited by Ohio State to fit a system to be runners rather than passers. Miller, JT Barrett, Troy Smith, and Pryor were all fit into that mold as spread option guys. Cardale Jones was a backup and a mid round pick solely because he had a cannon.

Can't really speak to why Haskins ended up there but he was vastly over-drafted.

Fields is a thrower that can run. Not a runner that throws in a college scheme. There's a big difference. He reminds me at times of a bigger Russell Wilson. He holds the ball way too long ala Roethlisberger because he can break tackles. That's coachable though.

gajetsfan likes this.
  10. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Take Zach Wilson at #2. Fields is a faster Darnold.

11. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Darnold was a flawed prospect even when they drafted. Turnovers were a problem at USC just like they are now.

That said, his coaches have been Todd Bowles and Adam Gase and he's still only 23. Can he have an Alex Smith like resurgence with an actual NFL caliber coach?

Hopefully we'll find out.

jetstopgun and SOJAZ like this.
  12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Trade down, accumulate picks, get Trey for a redshirt...not as exciting as Lawrence feels in December 2020, but that would still be intriguing/exciting to me.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Still TBD with two games left for Darnold and the chance for Fields to redeem himself.

As usual Jets fans are completely reactionary as far as Fields is concerned, his story is not yet written. I certainly don’t believe he is as bad as some Jets fans are making him out to be.

I’ve been so locked in on Trevor I really am not sure what the best course of action is now. My first thought is I hope some team falls in love with Fields and Jets can get a nice haul for the 2nd pick and build a team good enough to succeed with any QB.

Either way I’m hoping Fields has a huge game vs Clemson.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

incorrect. Darnolds big plays in college almost always came with Sam rolling out or making something out of a broken play. Most of Field's big plays ( and theres a ton more than Darnold had) come from inside the pocket. Sam was also a turnover machine in college where as Field's rarely turns it over. Field's also has much better accuracy on the long ball than Sam. I struggle to find much similarity at all between the two.

15. RUNY

RUNY New Member

Why is the plan either take Fields or Trade the the pick AND keep Darnold?

What about trade the pick and trade Darnold and sign some stop gap?

Darnold is not the future. He has shown zero flashes. Piss poor mechanics, awful decision making, average arm, injury prone. What am I missing? Do we just need to give him an elite OL, elite rushing game and elite WRs?

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Fields sucks so much. Total bum.

17. RUNY

RUNY New Member

Second time I have seen people say this..I must admit, I watch zero CFB.

Can you explain?

18. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Allen is more of a runner than a passer? LOL

19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

He has the old usc qb, now modern day OSU syndrome. Plays with superior talent and still looks a little awkward when he plays a good team.

he is more like the old OSU QBs like Braxton Miller, Haskins, etc. than a franchise nfl qb. Not particularly fast and doesn’t read the d well, not a strong arm like Trevor. Very average QB.

20. HomeoftheJets

Yes he is, he's a top 5 runner but not a top 5 passer. Also fuck off.