Penei Sewell

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 20, 2020.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Get over it. The players are paid to win and perform. 0-16 is hard to do. Jets are bad, but also have the 2nd hardest schedule this year.

Becton/Sewell will be the new Brick/Mangold. This is *REALLY* how you rebuild....in the trenches.

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Its an interesting angle. If they combine that with Thuney they could possibly have a top 5 offensive line.

At this point, this franchise is an absolute disaster grooming QBs and I have no trust in them no matter who is the coach and GM. We might as well just build the team and bring in a game manager QB to have a shot.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like it. All of our past good teams always had a dominant O-Line. Both of Rex's PO runs we had the leagues top O-line and running game. Same with Parcells, we had Curtis Martin AND a top O-line. Becton is a great start, but add Thuney and Sewell? Good god! Almost any QB, even Sam, and almost any RB, even Perine, would look like all-pros.

4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I’d like to see Sam with a better line and running game and maybe an actual #1 WR.

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Brooklyn is probably going to get accused of trolling but I for one actually agree with this.

Now would I have preferred trading the #1 pick for Sewell and like X amount of other high picks? Hell yes. But it is what it is and Sewell looks like a legit game changing talent. And given JD's track record/curriculum vitae I'm pretty confident he's going to notice that.

6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Sewell is my vote now--him and Becton can win gmaes

b.reyes16, jetstopgun, Noam and 2 others like this.
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I agree. Even if they decided to trade down they should have a ton of opportunities between draft and FA to surround Sam with talent. Even if he isn't the guy it would likely mean we are in a position to draft a QB in 2022 and can just take a shot on someone then. I guess what I am saying is I dont think Fields is the answer when he isnt a cant miss prospect and we have so many needs elswhere.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sewell's an intriguing possibility, but I'd honestly rather trade the pick down; we have more holes than just OL, and one OL isn't going to magically make the Jets winners.

9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'd investigate moving down for a boatload of picks first. It only takes one idiot franchise to fall in love with Fields (or one of the other QBs). If that trade can materialize (3+ 1st rounders and then some), then I'd pull the trigger on that and then try to find another OL with one of the early picks. If I can't get that trade done, though, based on everything I've heard on these boards and elsewhere about Sewell, then I'd go ahead and make that pick at 2.

88toon and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

A kid like Lawrence refused to quit on his teammates and had a love for the game enough to play 2020.

Guys like Sewell quit for a future $$$$ paycheck after getting drafted.

Let that sink in.

amuck57 and JetsKickAss like this.
  11. Footballgod214

That's what Sam said!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

The fuck are you talking about? You act as the Jets have an option between the two. Jags have the #1 you dolt

13. Footballgod214

Actually, other than Trevor, oline probably IS the one position that could make the Jets a winner.

BrooklynJetsFan and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. Pepsiguy5

Unless the Jags suddenly start winning I think the idea of trading our pick for multiple #1's is just a fantasy now. I suspect Fields isn't going to have that kind of pull.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

There’s a lot of players opting to do that now unfortunately. It’s all about the moola ......

That being said the Jets may be better off trading down from #2 and picking up more picks including the #34 year. Interior OL, WR, maybe even TE could all be in play and in the first round the Jets could get the top rated of all three......

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It would be really tempting to just stay at #2 (assuming the Jets don't get lucky and get the #1), and take Sewell. That could be a more certain move to alter the franchise than even Lawrence. But, the Jets have a lot of holes. Depending on how Darnold does in these last two games will determine whether the Jets need to get a QB - and I don't say that from my perspective but from what I believe Douglas is thinking. If they don't need a QB this draft, they have a lot more flexibility.

If I thought Nagee Harris would still be there with their second 1st rounder, I'd love to see them take Sewell and then Nagee which would transform the offense. But I doubt Harris will fall that far so maybe the Jets trade back to the #10 spot and take him there, and then look to add a stud OL or pass rusher with the next pick. There would be a lot of different ways they could go.

At this point I think we have to wait and see what happens with the last 2 games. We should know: can Sam be the QB for at least the near future?; will there be a new CS? Those two questions will determine what happens next.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think George Fant has been perfectly serviceable? I would re-sign him on the cheap. Go after Devonta Smith or Jamar Chase with first pick.

westiedog1 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  18. Footballgod214

After Ohio's last game where Fields looked pedestrian you're probably right.

But there is precedence for teams trading the farm to move up to #2, like the 'Skins to get RG3, The Bears to get Mitch Travisky, or the Jets to get Sam Darnold, on and on. If Fields plays well in the college playoffs, then who knows? There only needs to be one GM who's convinced himself that Fields is the answer.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

IF there is another team that is hot after Fields/Wilson/Lance and offered a nice trade down opportunity I'd be all about considering that and drafting Jamar Chase or maybe Smith.

But I'm just guessing that other teams aren't going to be offering any kind of ransom for that. And I'm also guessing that our GM is going to be a bit recalcitrant to let Penei Sewell slip away. If Sewell pans out as projected he is probably even a better player than Becton. And Becton is a game changer imho.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Something just seems off with Sewell. I don't know what it is. He is almost too highly regarded. Didn't surrender a sack at Oregon - virtually no flaws to note of. It almost feels like the Robert Gallery disaster. He was the last tackle I remember being this highly regarded.

I also question how a kid born in American Samoa and living on the West Coast for only 8-9 years of his life would adapt to NY/NJ. Maybe that's silly though.

REVISion likes this.