Joe Douglas Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Dec 20, 2020.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The talent is there but is it already too late?
    We may have fucked him up beyond repair at this point, and next years roster isn’t going to be dramatically better.
    It would take a great coach and scheme for him, which honestly is the case for most QBs.

2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I'd bet in Joe's mind, the monkey is off his back. Now he can go back to his original plan of building the team from the inside out.

This is how I expect things to play out:

- The Johnson's will give Joe full authority to conduct the coaching search and bring in someone who will be "his guy".
    - Look for Joe to refuse Sam's 5th-year option and have him play out 2021 as an evaluation year.
    - Trade down coming. Accumulating picks has been the MO so far, now he's in an even better position to do so. No pressure from the media and fans to take TL at #1 any longer. Full steam ahead with the nuts and bolts rebuild.
    - If Sam doesn't progress under a new staff with new weapons, then you move on after 2021.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I agree on Fields. I want no part of the Jets drafting him. He's been criminally overrated throughout all of the draft talk this season.

Darnold is done here. That doesn't mean he may not be our best option for next season, but in terms of him developing into a real NFL QB, it's not going to happen here. The third rate coach we're going to hire to replace Gase isn't going to get anymore out of him than Bates or Gase have thus far.

4. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Joe D and Gase can both kick rocks. This hole season is now absolutely pointless. Not only is everything about this team horse shit now we are the team that fucked up and won a game to miss on Lawrence

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry, Douglas isn't going to be fired, and he was NEVER "tanking". He's done a HOF job compared to the clowns that preceded him. I'm disappointed they won on one hand, but I'm glad they played well and they deserved to win. That said, Gase almost tried to lose it anyway. My only fear is that this win saved Gase's job. If that comes to pass, I will be done.

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Fields isn’t the answer - hopefully somebody trades up and JD gets another couple of 1st rounders out of it going forward.

1A

JD really needs to hit on these high draft picks over the next two years ....that will go a long way into changing things for the better. When was the last time the Jets had consecutive years of good drafting? You’d have to go back to the early Tanny years....

1B

Jets need a real head coach this time. Not a retread ......a real offensive minded coach for Sam. He has the talent he needs coaching to unleash that talent .......

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's gonna hold it against a player because he played for an 0-16 team as opposed to a 1-15 team. But regardless, it's not on the players or Gase to try to lose. It's on Douglas to make it happen because his resume's almost certainly now going to look a lot worse in the long run.

9. BacktoQueens

Omg if they keep Gase I’m done with this team. Let’s hope not.
    i also agree we were never trying to tank.
    But how can you say Douglas has done a HOF job to this point though?
    I’d argue so far he’s been worse than then all
    As bad as roster was he’s improved only one position, while making several others worse.
    That’s almost hard to do.

10. HomeoftheJets

The NFL isn't going to take away the Jets pick because Douglas wanted to start Morgan. It's very easy for him to say he was starting Morgan because Darnold had played poorly, and he wanted to evaluate Morgan, especially since there was no preseason this year.

11. HomeoftheJets

Hall of Fame job? The Jets are the second-worst team in football, how is that a Hall of Fame job? Parcells coming in and turning a 1-15 team to a 9-7 team in one offseason is a Hall of Fame job. Not this shitshow.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

That’s where we disagree. Douglas was NEVER trying to go winless, nor will his resume look worse by winning a game.
    No GM has ever survived a winless bid.
    That’s an indelible stain.

If he’s actually any good at his job, he doesn’t need the #1 overall pick to succeed.
    Most good GMs have never had that.
    Hell Ozzie Smith rarely picks in the top 20.

In terms of the players, they need to play for their next job.
    They need to play to win, and do their jobs, or they will be as done as Gase is.

13. HomeoftheJets

His resume will look worse because winning this game just almost certainly cost him Trevor Lawrence. Which means he's now much more likely to be another few years-and-out Jets GM instead of a guy who can ride his QB to perennial playoff contention. And yes, you can win without a top pick, but if the top pick is sitting in your lap, and you let it go, you're a fool.

14. BacktoQueens

So you are saying that without Lawrence he has no shot to succeed?
    Well if that’s the case fire him now, as he was never the guy.

makes you wonder how GMs without the first overall pick seem to do well.
    I’ll bring up Ozzie Smith once again.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I never said we'd lose the pick because JoeD wanted Gase to start our BU QB. I said if Gase were fired for refusing to go along with the tank, THEN we could have serious consequences. NFL may want to make and example out of the Jets as a warning to other teams who try to tank on purpose, or fire their HC for refusing to go along with it.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

No coach would come to a team where the GM steps in and makes on-field or game-day starter decisions.

17. ColoradoContrails

First, I said "HOF compared to the clowns that preceded him".

Second, yes, he hasn't been perfect - in hindsight letting Robby go was a bad decision, but he admitted that which means he can learn from his mistakes and he's not too proud or stubborn to admit when he's wrong and that's refreshing.

Third, how can you say he's only improved one position? In addition to Mt. Becton, Mims looks like one of the best WRs in the draft; and the OL may not be great but they're definitely better than they've been, and the secondary is improved, not to mention getting an All Pro punter. He also did a "Branch Rickey" - addition by subtraction - by getting rid of the growing cancer of Adams and not having to grossly overpay him while getting a great return. Gase being HC is not on him.

I sure don't see what you're seeing.

18. ColoradoContrails

Your emotions are causing to be blind. I said "HOF job compared to the clowns that preceded him.

And given that I know that YOU know how awful Gase is, you know this record is almost entirely on him. Is Douglas perfect? Of course not, but he's way better than what we've had, at least as far back as Parcells, and Parcells wasn't perfect by any means either.

19. HomeoftheJets

There's no good evidence that Douglas is better than his predecessors, other than that they were so bad it'll be hard for him to be quite that bad.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

As a one-time thing to ensure we get Lawrence? I think we'd have a better chance of getting a good coach that way than we will now with no Lawrence.