Comparing the NCAA Statistical Production of Trevor Lawrence to that of Elway/Manning/Luck:

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 18, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

This was a thread/post I created:

Watch this video below (Ryan personally asked me if he could use my material in order to create a Jets video based off of it; and of course I agreed).

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Would be a damn crime if we somehow lose out on him. Seriously.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Pretty cool to look and compare those guys. As you said, it's across different eras so I'm not sure how much we can dig into it but it is definitely cool to compare. Thanks for this!

Very odd to see Peyton with -181 rushing yards and 12 TD's. I would assume the TD's are from QB sneaks/goal-to-go situations but still odd to see the stats laid out like that.

Lawrence seems to compare very favorably to Luck which I think further emphasizes the point that we need to go full tank down the stretch and get this guy. If JD does what I think he'll do this offseason, actually build around our rookie/potential FQB, we could dramatically reduce our "rebuild" time-table and be a competitive team sooner rather than later.

JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Funny how he didn't mention you even once for credit purposes.

Jets69 and stinkyB like this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

He didn't need to, because I appreciated him asking me for permission on the forum; before creating a video based off of my material.

I've always been a great writer so his video has also motivated me to start my own YouTube channel come 2021 for both my Jets and Knicks (already in the process and getting better with images and editing videos every day).

Because being able to see over 5k views with 300+ likes and only 6 dislikes with over 150 replies (enjoying the QB comparisons) just went to show me that sports fans (beyond message board posters) will appreciate my thought process instead of your typical "TLDR" garbage responses.

And between TGG and "the other place" (Jet fans) and RealGM (Knicks fans) I'll have a couple of outlets in order to share my material.

I've already started working on my first YouTube video of Trevor Lawrence's career throughout H.S and NCAA (even included little league film from 10 years old) and it's more like a documentary that follows his timeline where I break down a lot of film; and once we draft him it's going to become an awesome video and one that will go viral immediately (I've got a couple of Jet YouTubers helping me with this process and teaching me different editing techniques).

REVISion and NYJalltheway like this.
  6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

How did the QB ratings go over the maximum of 158 or so ?

Also, they must have included sack yardage lost as rushing yards because Elway and Manning shoulld not have negative yardage.

7. NYJalltheway

Awesome dude. Well it was a good video, so thanks for contributing to it.

8. NYJalltheway

@DefenseWinsChampionships Also, great job, and sorry for questioning you. Can't wait to see your video man. Who do you like on YouTube and far as Jets fans go?

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Only the NFL uses a max QB Rating of 158.3.

I'm not aware of the MAX NCAA QB Rating but I do know it goes over 200.

IDFjet and JetsKickAss like this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've always liked Ryan and no not because he shared my thoughts but because he has great energy when talking about the team (funny thing is, I've always been a fan of his but yet never knew his username was BlaBlaBla over the years so even after he asked for permission to work with my material I said yes, no problem and didn't have any idea who he was as a poster UNTIL I seen the video he sent me and then I was like damn, I always knew you were a poster but never knew you created videos lol (sometimes, you just never know who's behind a username).

Another one of my favorites is GREENBEAN. He's awesome. Passionate Jets fan down here in Florida. I've always enjoyed picking his brain.

I rather watch fellow Jet fans who talk about our Jets rather than read the professional beat writers who it's hard to enjoy.

JetsKickAss and NYJalltheway like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Before we ask our sister to climb in bed with King Trevor, lets see how he does in the championship game tomorrow. Clemson lost in the RS to ND, but Trevor did not play. He's playing tomorrow with a 10.5 spread (in his favor). If Trevor plays well and wins by 2 TDs, I'll take back my wish for Draft Picks over Trevor. But if ND defense makes Trevor look average, I don't know man.

Wait and see!

#11 Footballgod214, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    JetsKickAss likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Guy has 3 years of elite production under his belt and your opinion of him is going to come down to one game? How does that make any sense? The game tomorrow shouldn't change anyone's opinion one way or the other.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Bettors Overwhelmingly Backing Notre Dame vs. Clemson In ACC Championship (msn.com)

Bettors Overwhelmingly Backing Notre Dame vs. Clemson In ACC Championship

Clemson have won five straight ACC Championship Games, but none of those games have featured a team as prolific as Notre Dame. The bettors recognize that and are apparently pouring a lot of money into the Fighting Irish for the game.

[​IMG]

According to reports, Notre Dame has emerged as a popular underdog bet heading into the ACC Championship Game. Per Yahoo! Sports, 72-percent of all action in the ACC Championship Game is on Notre Dame.

The Fighting Irish are 10.5 point underdogs in this game despite beating Clemson in the regular season. BetMGM is reporting that twice as many people are picking Notre Dame to cover that big spread, than Clemson laying the points.

The first meeting between the two sides was close all game, with no side getting a lead of greater than 10 all game. It went to double overtime where a Kyren Williams three-yard touchdown sealed the win for the Irish.

But that game was contested without Trevor Lawrence under center for Clemson.

Trevor Lawrence playing in the ACC Championship Game explains the spread better than anything. The game is being played at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, rather than Notre Dame Stadium, gives the Tigers an edge too.

But Notre Dame isn’t a team to be taken lightly. While they’ve played several close games, they’ve blown the doors off plenty of teams.

If nothing else, keeping this game close – even in defeat – will be great for their College Football Playoff hopes.

Can Notre Dame upset Clemson in the ACC Championship Game?

14. Footballgod214

Yes. That 'one game' could be a SB some day. I wanna see how Trevor performs on a BIG STAGE. Especially if his teams is losing late and needs a heroic late game drive. Stuff like THAT paints a far better pic than "he won a lot during the regular season". To me anyway.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He won a national championship as a true freshman and played in one the year after that. Even the best QB's of all time have bad games. It's totally illogical to let that guide your opinions rather than the other 99% of the evidence we have.

Lawrence objectively already has the best college resume of any QB prospect ever. What would it take for you to feel comfortable drafting him #1?

JetsKickAss, Red Menace and Borat like this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Maybe you missed his true Freshman game against ND during the 2018 playoffs.

He eliminated a 12-0 undefeated Notre Dame team.

See fit yourself (and enjoy).

He's got an overall record of 85-5 throughout his previous 90 starts dating back to H.S/NCAA combined (.944%) and 33-1 @ Clemson as a starter (.970%) and also became the first and only true Freshman to ever win a National Championship Game dating back to 35 years ago of 1985 (the year of the 85' Bears and the year I was born) while absolutely destroying Alabama.

But yet you're going to let tomorrow's (one) game become your determining factor?

PS: He has one of the top 5 greatest NCAA TD-to-INT Ratios of All-time.

Clemson and TL murders Notre Dame by 24+ tomorrow night...

JetsKickAss, Borat and REVISion like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We gotta move this to Manish Mehta thread!

REVISion likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Trying to compare statistics by themselves without any prospect analysis is silly.

Colt Brennan finished 6th and 3rd in Heisman voting, completed 70% of his passes, 146 total touchdowns to 42 interceptions. He was a sixth round draft pick and has never played an NFL snap (to my knowledge).

Not to mention trying to compare college stats from the 1980s and 1990s to the modern day player is nonsensical.

JetsKickAss and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

college QB rating is different from the NFL. the max is theoretically but not a possibility of 1,261.6 the top QBs will be in the 180s though
    also college counts sacks as negative rushing yards where the NFL counts them as negative passing yards

JetsKickAss likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Of course he's a good qb...everyone knows that. But a good college QB might not be enough to save this sorry franchise all by himself.