Week 17 very well could kill any chance at Trevor Lawrence

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Jets-N-Terps, Dec 14, 2020.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

He has a tendency to hold the ball to long and stare his receivers down, this was always a flaw in his game. No doubt he's a talented young man, with great athleticism and superior traits--but it's hard to correct eyes and the natural instincts the greats have to pick apart defensive strategies.

This is a gift TL has, which is why he's considered at a different level.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Adam Gase will likely coach our final three games, which means Frank Gore's 2 yard runs. Still worried?

3. Vida

Vida Active Member

C'mon what's more Browns than losing to the 0-14 Jets to cost them a wildcard spot and what's more Jets than beating the Browns to cost them a generational QB.

4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

If Shad Khan or Tony Khan have told Doug Marrone he is safe for next year -- or his fate will be decided by the incoming GM (probably safe) -- then I am sure he is going to tank the rest of the way.

Marrone probably thinks that if he gets Lawrence he'll be in Jacksonville for another 10-12 years.

5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a quality tight end and wide receivers who get open. Lawrence will be the pick if the Jets get no. 1 but otherwise Sam stays I think.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Belichick has no idea how the draft could turn out. We could lose into Fields who ends up a fantastic QB.

but what he likely knows is what an embarrassment it would be to be the 1 of a 1-15 record that saves the Jets their own embarrassment of 0-16.

it’s one thing to know he hates the Jets, it’s another to believe he would embarrass himself with a loss, in turn saving the Jets from their own embarrassment, all to avoid an absolutely unknown.

that’s the pinnacle of ridiculous fan insecurity. Be insecure, we all are about our teams, but please spare us the nonsensical attempt to pretend it’s a rational position with any sort of merit.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. . A 1-15 selling point ?

Brook! and JetBlue like this.
  8. It sounds crazy but so was CJ calling Gase an “offensive genius”.We know Gase is an excuse maker & we know he has had ownership’s ear.

-Covid
    -No real TC
    -Injuries
    -Bad roster even BEFORE injuries
    - Toxic relationship w GW who cost team a win
    -O looked better the few times the WRs were all healthy

He’s mentioned all of this subtlely in all his PCs.No doubt hes saying it behind the scenes.

Now we all know this is all bullshit..but will the Johnsons? Add in ending on a percieved “bright note” against a bitter rival the team hasnt beaten in forever?? Johnsons would love an excuse to keep the status quo.

May seem far fetched & i hope it is. But the MOs of the parties involved cause real concern

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1st carry 9 yards, next 14 carries 20 yards

ColoradoContrails, tomdeb and stinkyB like this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

If week 17 rolls in and it is still 1 win Jags and 0 win Jets, I don’t care how obvious they Make it.

The game plan better be run up the middle with Gore every time. He should get at least 25 carries. Punt from the 35 and out, and go for it with a run up the middle on 4th inside the 35.
    Becton, Q Williams, Mims, Maye, Crowder all need to be in Covid protocols.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jacksonville will get another win. Gardner Minshew is back

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You're paranoid.

The Jets played their best game of the year and had Flacco at QB in our first matchup against NE and they still lost.

The Jets will not win a game with Sam Darnold at QB. If you blitz Darnold, it's over.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Gase's game plan RIGHT NOW is run Gore into the pile every time. No reason to expect anything different.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Game plan: It will be same shit different day

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It certainly helps, which is why I wanted Gase to stay all year and didn't mind Gregg to be fired, since he was actually a decent coach for us overall.

With that said, Bill is both coach and GM, and also someone who is not worried about his job. He is also a known cheat and will do anything to get an advantage. And not having TL in the division for next 15 years is a big advantage. He will attempt to through the game with personnel and play calls, and I think it will be tough to overcome. That game in NE may be the toughest test yet of the tank.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This fringe theory loosely existed back when we played them the first time. As if they were going to lose that game to try to tank themselves for Lawrence.

It's too hard to force your players to lose games. Their defense is too good and their players will care a lot more about that game than ours do. Because ours look like they've already given up.

If he puts Shaq Mason, Harris, Gilmore, Jackson, etc. and a bunch of guys on IR right before the game it's possible I guess. But the players are better than ours by a decent margin and naturally much better coached. That alone makes it difficult for us to get a victory.

17. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I really thought we would win a few games, and quite honestly should have won at least 2-3? Watching this team and Gase all year, I think we will go winless. With Williams gone, the D worse than the O. Also, even we are in position to win, this Gase team will find a way to lose. Bonehead mistakes. That said I think 0-16 looking pretty good right now. I even bought a Clemson jersey. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomdeb likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thinking the same thing. If TL is really all that, then Belichick will have to face him in the POs or SB no matter who drafts him. Unless the Jets draft him, which means he'll be ruined and never a threat to anyone.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If Jax could just win a game I think I would celebrate harder than I would for any Jets win since the Pats game in 2015. We are going to need them to win because there is 0 doubt in my mind we are going to end up winning week 17.

apjbfc likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think using your eyes is something is much more easily adjusted than you're making it out to be. It becomes an issue if your body can't react to what your eyes see when the picture changes. But having a great grasp of the playbook helps that.

In my eyes, he very easily has the capabilities. I don't see the stare down that you see in him. He doesn't throw many errant balls into coverage which would be indicative of that. He did versus Indiana and he paid for it.

Lawrence's worry is that he determines where he's going to throw some short balls at times on early down. Those short 4 yard stick routes and he's gotten away with some of them because linebackers can't catch. He needs to correct that. He's also capable though.

Fields has a little bit more of an X-factor in his running ability too. Lawrence can run and is a battering ram when he does and is swift on his feet, but Fields is much faster in the open field when he needs to be. He just doesn't have to run as much.

Both of their running abilities give them a pretty high floor (similar to Josh Allen's season last year after their rookie years). Lawrence willed them to a win versus OSU last year with his running ability as his receivers failed him and got bullied by their corners.

I agree with you on one front for Fields. He holds on to the ball too long. He reminds me of Roethlisberger in that regard because he's so damn strong and can shrug arm tackles and navigates the pocket well. He needs to fix that though. A Big Ten linebacker arm tackle and an NFL linebacker arm tackle are much different.

#60 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020