Week 17 very well could kill any chance at Trevor Lawrence

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Jets-N-Terps, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Goddamnit I'm worried about going 0-15 only to beat the patriots who will have nothing to play for by then. Reasons why this may fuck us:
    1. Their coach hates the jets with a passion
    2. He clearly holds grudges and sticks it to us whenever he can. What would be a better way to do it than make sure the jets cannot pick 1st overall and get the best prospect since Andrew Luck.
    3. He already has to face Josh Allen for the rest of his coaching career in N.E. and has to face a good coach/QB tandem in Miami for the foreseeable future. Add Trevor Lawrence to the Jets, and now he has the worst QB in the division - all 3 other teams will have their young QB's for a long time barring injury.
    4. He hasn't proved he can win without Brady - and likely won't with 3 good young QB's in the division
    5. If something bad can happen to a franchise, it will happen to the Jets in a comically bad and embarrassing fashion
    6. God hates the Jets
    Talk me off the ledge!

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

jags get the bears week 16. and should be starting minshew. it's a winnable game for them. If they win it, it locks us in for 1st place assuming we don't win a game before week 17. I can't see us upsetting the rams or browns

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Belichick would enjoy cementing us as one of three 0-16 teams in history more than he'd like to see us get Fields rather than Lawrence.

Burnz, zace, SOJAZ and 12 others like this.
  4. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

I disagree 100% He would be sticking it to the Jets for years to come by losing.

What's the tie breaker for last place if both Jags ans Jets are 0-16?

Poeman likes this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Fire Gase in Week 16. It stops him from playing hard to avoid a 0-16 season on his CV.

And play Becton at QB.

6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I have said this for a while now--the Jets will need to go 0-16 to get Lawrence, there is no doubt in my mind.

The Jags wont win another--they are worse than we are and are injury ridden.

IF we are 0-15 going into NE, we start James Morgan and make a business decision to evaluate the current depth at QB and give Sam a jump start on his recovery. This can be an ownership decision, this way you leave Douglas out of it.

I think with Sam, we will end up beating NE. Cam Newton is pretty horrible this year and we are pretty good against the run normally.

At this point, I am trying to mentally prepare myself.

Also, I will save this for another thread, but we best not even think about Fields. The dude reminds me so much of Sam it's not even funny--he crumbles under pressure and doesn't know how to read complex defenses.

7. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Jags can beat the Bears

8. Jonathan_Vilma

One bad game against one of the best defenses in college football and he crumbles under pressure? He accounted for 378 yards, 3 touchdowns and 3 interceptions and moved his offense on five touchdown drives.

Tough crowd. Fields is fantastic. He's not a bad consolation prize whatsoever.

9. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The Jags are NOT worse than us. They always choke, whereas we we always get blown out with the exception of three games.

NYJFOREVER, stinkyB, fdcnyc and 3 others like this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Is this Ethel? Fred would know the jags have a win already--

I believe the tiebreak would be strength of schedule--that is, whoever had the easier schedule and still blew so bad they went 1-15 would get the pick. Everything I've heard is that the Jags schedule was easier than the jets so they would win the tiebreak (meaning they suck more)

mrjet80, stinkyB, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

The Bears are in the middle of a playoff hunt and they have a tough pass rush. It's going to be tough.

Best shot is if Colts rest starters last game--plus who wants TL in your division? So that's a slim shot there.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

1. If the Colts have their playoff seed locked up, they also have an incentive to lose on purpose.
    2. Surely Douglas realizes what's at stake and isn't going to let Gase play to win.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets continue to play like they did yesterday - and there's no reason to think they won't - they won't win another game, even if Belichick tries to throw it - he obviously wouldn't be obvious about that, and so would be limited in how much he could do to lose without being accused of it. Even when Seattle tried to let up the Jets still couldn't do anything. The only way they fail to go winless is because SOJs curse, and there's nothing anyone can say or do to prove that won't happen.

NYJetsO12 and Jets79 like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How would Douglas prevent #2, short of firing Gase which he has no power to effect?

jets_fan likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Exactly. How could anyone watch that game yesterday and think we have any shot whatsoever of beating the Rams, Browns, or even the Pats?

I would still love it if the Jags won one of their last 3 just to give us some breathing room though.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Once the Jets get DESTROYED by the Rams, they will lock up the #2 pick at least and be guaranteed Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. If they somehow beat the Browns or Patriots, then they can draft Justin Fields at #2 overall. There are some big games to be played in college football still. People will see how good Justin Fields is. In fact, if Ohio State beats Northwestern and Clemson beats Notre Dame, I think we could see Lawrence vs Fields in the College Football Playoff as you would have 1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. Ohio State 4. Notre Dame.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

It's unlikely but it's not impossible for Fields to overtake Lawrence as the #1 prospect. And I think they will draw much closer as the draft nears, regardless of what happens. But at this point, Lawrence plays the best defense in college football this week and while Fields plays a good defense in Northwestern they are not on Notre Dame's level.

When they played each other last year they pretty much even. Fields played a better first half, Lawrence a better second half. And we might be looking at them differently if Fields' receiver doesn't run the wrong route and he throws a bad ball right to the Clemson safety in the end zone.

If Fields doesn't commit to Georgia and sit behind Fromm for a year, it's very likely that they're pretty much neck and neck at this point in the prospect discussion. Fields was the #2 recruit right behind Lawrence out of high school.

Pags2112, JetsKickAss, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. I don't think he will ever pass Lawrence, but it is possible. I was just saying that people will see that Justin Fields is a good pick at #2 so no need for @Jets-N-Terps to be on the ledge even if the Jets find a way to win. :)

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Gase applies for another job in football, it won't be in his best interest to get on Douglas's bad side because any prospective employer will call Douglas.

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If we get to 0-15 and need to lose JD will need to step in and have them play only players they want to get a better look at and players that need XP starting with Mike White as Morgan does not sound like a viable option this year. Rest players they are counting on for next year like Bechton, Q, Fatukasi, Maye, Mimms, and Crowder.

I don't trust Belichick and I do not trust the Jets to do the right thing and lose. It would be so Jets like to put us through the pain of two years of Gase and 15 straight losses to blow it all in the last game. We as fans deserve something nice for living through the Gase era. Trevor Lawrence is our just and deserved reward. We just better not blow it. F the Jags they were almost in the SB a couple of years ago and they did not have to suffer with anyone or anything as bad as Adam Gase. That pick is ours. Let's not F it up.

#20 Noam, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    JetsKickAss, IDFjet and Jets79 like this.