Cards get Hopkins for Murray, Bills get Diggs for Allen- Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Let Anderson walk and sign jag flyers

Truly inept. Like beyond inept.

If we do get TL, they better go 7 rounds on offense.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Allen Robinson also a free agent, although not sure if we go that route

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think Douglas needs to break the bank for Robinson or Thuney regardless of the draft. There needs to be a commitment to proving to Lawrence or Fields or respectable offense to play in. Douglas needs to operate like the clock is already ticking on a new QB when we hit free agency

4. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Robinson is such a beast and so wasted in chi. Would love to see him here.

KY Jets Fan and Longsuffering88 like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think Robinson is going anywhere without a legitimate established quarterback. He's been vocal about wanting out of Chicago because of it and he's had garbage for quarterbacks his whole career.

Golladay and/or Godwin are realistic. There's a bunch of lower tier guys out there that could be worth a look as well.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Would Juju consider leaving Pitt?

7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't see the Jets attracting elite WRs unless they really overpay. Even if they have TL, that WR will have to accept i would think 1 yr of 0 playoff hopes.

I see us having to overpay for a 2nd tier WR in FA, who probably is still pretty good. Jets have to nail it, i agree they need a solid FA WR.

Red Menace and Cman68 like this.
  8. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

If he does, you sign him as a number 2 WR, not a number 1.

Allen Robinson should be the priority, but I agree with the post above that he'll probably want to play with an established QB.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seriously, anybody who signs with the Jets right now is just in it for the money. Period.

There's nobody we can sign that is going to change the fact that the Jets are headed for 3-7 wins in 2021. That's what terrible teams do after they have drafted a #1 QB. Sometimes they do worse than that, as in the Cowboys going 1-15 under Jimmy Johnson after drafting Troy Aikman.

Bringing in another jaded free agent who is just happy that somebody gave him a record contract is one of the most destructive things the 2021 Jets could do in the second year of their rebuild.

We went 7-9 last year. Why? Because we weren't rebuilding we were doing the usual free agent based bullshit marketing approach to football.

This year the rebuild began and cutting it short by pretending that next year's team can be competitive is just so Same Old Jets if it happens.

REVISion, Red Menace, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  10. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Step 1-Get the QB
    Step 2-weapons

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Jets just need to put almost all of their free agency money and draft picks into the offense...linemen and WRs especially

I can live with the defense struggling for a year but I can’t live with Lawrence or Fields getting eaten alive due to poor blocking / lack of weapons

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You can't say that. You don't speak for everyone. With the right HC hire, the Jets can turn it around fairly quickly if they get Lawrence; one of Robinson, Godwin, Golladay; further upgrades on the OL; and a better starting RB. Then in 2022 they can add the defensive pieces we need.

If we just signed some older FA at the end of his career, then you might have a point, but when Godwin, Golladay, Smith-Schuster, Davis and some of the other WRs are in the 24-26 range, then you have no point whatsoever unless Gase is still the HC, and that's simply not going to happen. If the Jets make the right HC hire, with Lawrence, Crowder, Mims and that FA WR, the Jets could have a very potent passing attack. Sure part of the first year might be spent helping Lawrence adjust to the NFL, but look at how quickly a number of young QBs have adjusted and played well from the start. The offense would use 2021 to develop their timing, learn the offense, all get on the same page, and be ready in 2022 to come out gangbusters and make some noise.

13. Br4d

Lawrence is going to be a rookie QB.

Terry Bradshaw went 3-5 in his rookie year starts.
    Jim Plunkett went 6-8 in his rookie year starts.
    Steve Bartkowski went 4-7 in his rookie year starts.
    John Elway went 4-6 in his rookie year starts.
    Vinnie Testaverde went 0-4 in his rookie year starts.
    Troy Aikman went 0-11 in his rookie year starts.
    Jeff George went 5-7 in his rookie year starts.
    Drew Bledsoe went 5-7 in his rookie year starts.
    Tim Couch went 2-12 in his rookie year starts.
    Michael Vick went 1-1 in his rookie year starts.
    Carson Palmer DNP in his rookie year - he went 6-7 in his second year starts.
    Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his rookie year starts.
    David Carr went 4-12 in his rookie year starts.
    Eli Manning went 0-7 in his rookie year starts.
    Alex Smith went 2-5 in his rookie year starts.
    JaMarcus Russell went 0-1 in his rookie year starts.
    Matthew Stafford went 2-8 in his rookie year starts.
    Sam Bradford went 7-9 in his rookie year starts.
    Cam Newton went 6-10 in his rookie year starts.
    Jameis Winston went 6-10 in his rookie year starts.
    Jared Goff went 0-7 in his rookie year starts.
    Baker Mayfield went 6-7 in his rookie year starts.
    Kyler Murray went 5-10-1 in his rookie year starts.
    Joe Burrow went 2-7-1 in his rookie year starts.

That is all the QB's taken on the #1 pick since the merger except for one guy.

The one guy that has gotten above .500 his rookie year was Andrew Luck and the only reason he did that was that the Colts were a fake worst team tanking for the year. They had a 9 year playoff run before the tank season and then a 3 year playoff run after it.

Note that 7 wins is tops for any other team and QB in his rookie year.

The Jets are probably 100-1 against winning more than 7 games next year. Actually they are probably 1000-1 because they are one of the worst rosters to get the #1 pick since the merger.

Don't go into next season thinking that any amount of magical thinking is going to get the Jets to the playoffs. If they managed the feat they would be the first team to go from last to the playoffs from their actual position in terms of talent since the merger.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Don't worry guys.... Just signed up for a virtual yoga class to get those hammys back to a youthful elasticity. I should be ready for training camp.

Noam, apjbfc, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

16. Jonathan_Vilma

6-10 would be a great turnaround if we can maintain some level of competitiveness in those losses.

The deficiencies go far beyond the offensive side of the ball too. I've been doing some mock simulators and between that and looking through the available free agents we have a massive amount of holes.

I mean - we realistically need two to three new off the ball linebackers. Hewitt is a fine backup and Harvey Langi is a nice special teams player. We have no starting linebackers, kids who have looked OK at corner, no edge rushers, we probably need another IDL run stopper, Marcus Maye is a free agent and we need two guards, a tightend and another receiver on offense.

It's bad. We don't need a left tackle, an interior pass rusher or a slot receiver.

Footballgod214, Br4d and Red Menace like this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Only if the money is right, Pitt will offer him a fair contract, if he wants to leave for a couple million dollars more Pitt will let him go.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

I want nothing to do with JuJu. He's more interested in his social media dancing career than he is being a big time NFL receiver.

His massive drop off in production since Antonio Brown left is enough of a red flag to not want him.

19. Br4d

I think 6-10 under new coach with the Jets talent deficiencies and a #1 pick QB under center is unlikely.

The Jets best chance to make the playoffs next year is new head coach, new offensive coordinator and weapons around Sam Darnold and I do not mean rookie WR's because they often have trouble year one.

I think that scenario above is also the most likely shot at 4-12 in a couple of years and back on the merry-go-round. Sometimes you just have to take your lumps for a year and 2021 looks like a lumps year to me if the Jets are going to rebuild right.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Some mid tier guys that we could look at.

Kendrick Bourne - San Francisco
    Keelan Cole - Jacksonville
    Dede Westbrook - Jacksonville
    Curtis Samuel - Carolina
    Rashad Higgins - Cleveland
    Josh Reynolds - Los Angeles
    Tim Patrick - Denver

NYJFOREVER likes this.