TANKATHON - Jets & Jaguars Tank Bowl (What to Root for)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Brook!, Sep 27, 2020.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

100% agree with this. Lawrence should be the prime objective at this point. If that takes us going 0-16, that's a small price to pay IMO.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think just about everyone is on board for “whatever it takes” to get that #1 pick. Different ideas about how we hope it ends up happening. Nothing wrong with that.

FJF and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

For sure, I honestly hope we can beat the Pats in week 17 and knock them out of the playoffs, as long as that means we still get #1. I can definitely understand the logic some have that we need to hit rock bottom but IMO we don't need 0-16 to know this team is bad.

We don't need 0-16 to know that Adam Gase is maybe the worst HC in NFL history and will be fired.

We don't need 0-16 to know that, unfortunately, it is time to move on from Sam.

However, if we need 0-16 to get Lawrence, I'm perfectly fine with joining that infamous list.

rickjet, JetsKickAss and Jets81 like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested, the term "tank" as used to depict losing intentionally has nothing to do with military vehicles as has been depicted here a few times, but is closely related to swimming pools and boxing rings.

Aquatics by way of pugilism. In the 19th century, Americans called swimming pools “tanks” and thus “go into the tank” was synonymous with “to dive.” As far back as the 1920s, the phrase go into the tank became associated with intentionally losing a boxing match by diving onto the canvas and pretending you’ve been knocked out—a sense perfectly illustrated by this sentence from a 1928 New York Times article: “Pansy came out of jail and his manager, thinking him ‘all washed up,’ signed him up to ‘take a dive,’ or, more technically, ‘to go into the tank’ for a bird named Sailor Gray.” (For more on the pugilistic origins of into the tank, see William Safire’s April column on the subject.)

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Because it is most likely that if we win even 1 game we are drafting second.

6. JetsKickAss

In 7 years there will be a thread here at TheGangGreen.com.....I'm Happy We Just Won Our 2nd Super Bowl in 4 Years, But That 0-16 From 2020 Still Bugs Me. :D

rickjet and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It's looking like NE is going to be eliminated from the hunt--if so I'm thinking they might allow us to win the last week...

GordonGecko likes this.
  8. JetsKickAss

If they lost tonight, what's their wild card situation ? Remember, extra WC this year.

9. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

They are 2 games behind, they would have to win out essentially after tonight

JetsKickAss likes this.
  10. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

After watching the Thursday game... man, that week 17 Pats game looms large. I know the Rams defense is really good, but please, oh please win a game before then, Jags!

Jets79, REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Jets better hope the Jaguars win a game before then or that Stidham takes over and plays amazing. Otherwise, it will be Justin Fields to New York, which I have been expecting for awhile. The Patriots look terrible and we all know the Jets should have won that first match-up on MNF.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just stop with the fear and the nonsense, please. Belichick is NOT going to intentionally lose to the Jets.

KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

Teams that pop up are the 1996 Jets that went (1-15). The 2005 Jets when they lost Pennington and Fielder back to back. The 2012 Jets with Sanchez and Tebow. The 2016/2017 Jets under Bowles. I mean there have been some brutal teams to watch. The 2020 Jets started off brutal, but have now become exciting as far as the race for the #1 pick. Watching Becton, Mims and Quinnen Williams has been fun too. I think fans see that this team is not the worst also, which is why some worry the #1 pick is in jeopardy.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s implied in the statement that the Jags win another game.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t think they have enough anything on either side of the ball to compete with anyone left except the Patriots. That could be an interesting game for both teams. From a player perspective it’ll be nothing but pride. Avoiding 0-16 vs potentially avoiding a losing season. I know some believe BB would throw the game, but I think putting the last nail in the Jets 0-16 coffin would be more his style.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Jaguars schedule, who are they beating....

14 Sun, Dec 13 vs [​IMG]Tennessee Titans (8-4)

15 Sun, Dec 20 @ [​IMG]Baltimore Ravens (7-5)

16 Sun, Dec 27 vs [​IMG]Chicago Bears (5-7)

17 Sun, Jan 3 @ [​IMG]Indianapolis Colts (8-4)

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If I could answer those questions do you think I’d be on an internet message board...ever?

18. The Dark Knight

Did you watch last night, though? Belichick might not intentionally lose, but the Patriots are beatable. If the Jets play like they did against the Raiders, they will beat them.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

My opinion:
    1) Jets will lose Sea, Rams, Browns......must start Morgan @ QB vs Pats, possibly sit Q
    and other studs (company line should be that we need to evaluate players)
    2) Jax has a good chance of beating Bears, so we could have it wrapped up before week #17,
    so we could disregard #1....

Jets79, RedRoute1 and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I didn't watch, but I know the Patriots are beatable. The Jets could beat them with Belicheat trying to win. If the Jets do win that game, it will be because of the Jets having superior offensive talent in Becton, Mims, Crowder and Perriman and because Sam doesn't turn the ball over. It won't be because BB is afraid of the Jets getting Lawrence.

The Dark Knight likes this.