TANKATHON - Jets & Jaguars Tank Bowl (What to Root for)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Brook!, Sep 27, 2020.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hopefully we get Cleveland game 1 next year and pay them back.

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

For anyone worried about the 0 in 0-16 and how it will affect things historically moving forward, it only has power, holds value, or is relevant so long as the team still hasn't become a winner.

If the team becomes a winner, the only reference to the awful team of 2020 will be when it is framed as a Dark Ages of sorts.

If the Jets continue to be mediocre and don't build anything lasting, then yeah, an 0-16 will hang around. If they move on, grow from it, and Douglas builds a perennial playoff team in the aftermath, then it'll have absolutely no bearing in the future. Zero.

The Chiefs had not one, but TWO 2-14 seasons in the 5 year period from 2008-2012. After the second one they hired Andy Reid and never looked back.

The Saints were an historical laughing stock of a franchise, and went 3-13 in 2005. Then they hired Payton and signed Brees and never looked back.

Neither reached the 0-fer depths, but the point is that the awfulness only matters until you're no longer awful. The Browns and Lions never truly moved out of it. Douglas at least has the Jets positioned so that there's a foreseeable path forward. Fingers crossed.

FJF, JetsKickAss, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Browns are 9-3 and on their way to the playoffs. They're on the right track.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

(0-16) means nothing to me except a chance to draft a potential franchise QB in Trevor Lawrence. This Jets team is bad, but I feel I have watched much worse and less exciting Jets teams in the past. It would matter more if you were just bringing the same guys back, but the Jets are not. They will clean house and start fresh in 2021.

Going (2-14) or even (1-15) and losing Lawrence is way worse than going (0-16) now. It's kind of ridiculous to think otherwise. Gase has been terrible. A flat out embarrassment to the franchise. Winning 1 or 2 games doesn't make it look any better to me.

rickjet, FJF, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ok, yes.....and that's partly why i think the 0-16 looks that much worse on their watch. it certainly will have their attention going forward being only the 3rd team to do it (16 games). To finish with 1 win doesn't get them as cranky.

Noam and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. Snatch Catch

There's definitely finally some hope for them, but I do not put the Browns in the category of having worked their way out and removed the stink. They're on their 4th head coach in the three seasons since they went 0-16, and even though they're in position to make the playoffs, they've actually been outscored on the year. They haven't clearly moved on from that stink, to me.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY fucking worse. 1-15 is an absolute cataclysmic disaster for the Jets (assuming JAX (1-15)

0-16 is the best possible result

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I've already lived through 1-15 and survived, so I'm not scared of that. If the Jags manage to get another win, then how perfect would it be to beat the Pats on the last game and avoid 0-16? Especially if it knocked them out of the playoffs.

Yes, it would still be an epically bad season. But somehow managing to lose every single game takes incompetence on a grand scale - like we saw at the end of the Raiders game.

9. Snatch Catch

I know it's not the emotional winner, but the pragmatic "if they could win one of the remaining 4 games and still get the #1 overall pick" scenario that would make me happiest is beating Seattle this weekend. It would be funny to see Jamal have to answer questions in the aftermath, but more importantly it is the only win on the remaining schedule that directly improves the Jets for the future, because it moves the SEA 1st rounder we have this year higher in the draft.

JetsKickAss, ukjetsfan and K'OB like this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Why would you disagree with not going 0-16 and still getting the #1 pick? Makes no sense whatsoever.

11. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I keep hoping the Jags will win a game so that we can go into one and not worry that losing a weekend will affect our draft options. Ill be glad when this season is over though.

12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Jacksonville needs to win ASAP

rickjet and REVISion like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Like I wrote earlier, you just can't trust the Jaguars to win a game. Actually, you can trust they won't. If they somehow do, that would be great going into New England with the #1 pick locked up. The Jets may still find a way to lose though!

Noam likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL I don't! That's not what I disagreed with. Look at what I quoted. You said that the black eye from 0-16 will never go away. THAT is what with which I am disagreeing.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s the ideal situation in my opinion. If the stars aligned and we locked up the #1 and managed to keep the Pats out of the playoffs it would be a nice way to end a horrible season. I just can’t get behind wanting to go 0-16 if we don’t have too, but to each their own.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I said it would blow to have the title of worst NFL team of all time, and it would. Obviously it’ll be in the rear view mirror if things turnaround and the Jets win a super bowl, but worst NFL team of all time isn’t really something I want my team associated with regardless.

17. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Like most, I'm just assuming that the Jets go 0-2 in their next two in Seattle and LA. The only chance they have in the latter is if sloppy Jared Goff shows up. In week 16, Bears @ Jags might as well be the main event since it's probably Jacksonville's last and most realistic shot at another win. A Jags win would also mean we don't have to hear any more week 17 Belichick conspiracy theories.

Dream scenario: Jags win week 16 or earlier, and the winless Jets (already with the top pick clinched) beat the Pats in week 17 to cost them a playoff spot.

rickjet and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know you said that too, but that's not what I quoted. Besides, it would obviously blow to you for the Jets to have the title of the worst NFL of all time, but it wouldn't faze me in the least. They deserve it this year. The Johnsons deserve it. Gase deserves it. The players don't, but the facts are they are or have been part of the worst team this year. I don't know about ever. And as I said, most people won't care one bit when the Jets turn things around and win a SB and become a very good, if not great team for the next 10-15 years. Nothing great is gained without risk and sacrifice. Precious things have a cost and don't come cheaply or easily.

If going 0-16 makes us the worst team ever, and the Johnsons either decide to sell the team or step back and let Douglas run things, it enables the Jets to draft Lawrence, which enables them to hire a great HC, and enables them to be a perennial playoff team for the next 10-15 years with at least one SB victory thrown in, I'd do it again every single time, and twice on Sunday.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Then why did you quote me in the first place.

Edit: never mind, I don’t care.

20. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Which Jets teams are those? I can’t think of a single one that’s been as bad as this season has been in the last 20 years personally. This team is just unwatchable right now. Especially the first half of the year.