Darnold: Fair market value

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Nov 30, 2020.

?

What is Darnold's realistic trade value?

1. 1st Rounder

6.7%
  2. 2nd Rounder

24.7%
  3. 3rd Rounder

25.8%
  4. 4th Rounder

28.1%
  5. 5th Rounder and below

14.6%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He had two chances to win the game versus Denver and couldn't get the ball past the fifty yard line.

He was 10/19 in the second half by my count. I just went through quickly though.

We scored six points in the second half on offense and had one offensive touchdown the entire game.

REVISion likes this.
  2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Becton had a terrible game and both fumbles were on the OLine. Anyone that says otherwise is a "hater"...

ouchy likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah - Darnold gets graded on a curve a lot. A 2nd half like that for Josh Allen would be his worst all year. But for Darnold, a lot of people think he played "well"

At this point though, the grading on a curve is a good thing because its clear there will be a new QB next year so we need that perception of Darnold if he's gonna bring anything of value in a trade.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam had 230 yards, 55% completion and 0 TD's in the Broncos game. How good of a 2nd half could he have had?

This is what I mean by perpetually overrating him. I think it's because we all think Sam is a good person and thus want him to succeed but he's just not a good player.

It's funny you mention the "people are confusing what they want to be true with what is true" because that's exactly what you're guilty of. You have Darnold as your avatar and you're trying to convince everyone he's played better than he has. Take emotion out of it - look at the stats. He's a terrible QB.

94Abraham, 88toon and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The bold is true. I've seen some of the wildest, craziest crap on this site in the last month or so that I've seen in my 7 years on this site, and 5-10 years I spent on a couple of other Jets' sites. The only site that was worse than these last two months was ganggreennation. It isn't just this site, however. It's this country in general.

Saying that Becton was terrible in pass blocking and that his play was a much a part of what cost us the game as the last play is NOT a fact. It's weird, crazy, and totally wrong. It ignores the facts of how well he played in run blocking and on most of the rest of his pass blocking snaps. Yes, he blew two snaps that resulted in sacks, the rest of his snaps were good, and PFF still gave him a pretty good grade. I never thought that he was perfect or a finished product. He still has technical issues to work out. For a rookie, he has been nothing short of amazing. That said, one can't dismiss or ignore Darnold's almost total lack of awareness in the pocket. He doesn't sense or feel rushers or blitzers all too often and panics when he does. Those two sacks were on Becton, and Sam had little chance on those, but with better awareness, the one perhaps shouldn't have been a strip sack. Sam did play very well in the 4th Qtr., but he also played poorly for much of the rest of the game and had 3 big TOs, two of which are totally on him.

Why do we need to hope that Darnold continued to build on the Raiders game? He's not going to be our starting QB, and in all likelihood won't even be on our roster opening day.

Mogriffjr and 88toon like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

My point was he played well on Sunday and the people trying to take that away from him are deluded. BTW, do you know how many star QBs were blindsided and lost a fumble this week alone.

7. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

All it takes is one team that falls out of the qb range in the 1sr round to Like Sam. Package him with lower round picks or another player and try to move up back into the 1st round. I honestly hope for a 2nd round pick back

ouchy likes this.
  8. REVISion

Even if I'm generous to Sam and completely eliminate one of his turnovers he had 200 yards passing on 60% completion with 3 TD's and 2 turnovers. That is not a good game! A good game is 300 yards passing 2-3 TD's and 0 INT's.

200 YPG is well below league average, 60% completion is well below league average, 2 turnovers is well above league average (and he really had 3). If Sam averaged 60% completion for the year he'd have the third worst completion % in the NFL. If he averaged 200 YPG he'd be bottom 5 in that too.

What kind of mental gymnastics led you to conclude that was a good game? This is exactly my point for how people overrate him. No, he didn't have a "good" game. In fact he didn't even have an average game by NFL standards.

#128 REVISion, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Those sacks caused turnovers. Forgiving Becton for those is like forgiving Sam for throwing two INTs.

Back to my point where its okay to flame Sam for his mistakes while giving Becton a pass for his.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I do think it’s funny that anyone thought that performance could have been a “signature victory”. That’s a very low bar.

Here’s a 4th quarter comeback to cleanse the pallet. Great memory. Signature victory? I don’t know, but it was pretty amazing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You can't just say "200 yards is well below league average" without noting how many attempts that was. Divide 186 by 23 and you get 8 yards/attempt which only three team this year are achieving per game. The "low" yardage was because the running game was working so well for change. With a QB that has accuracy issues like Darnold, this is exactly the game plan you want to achieve.

All that said, his 3 TOs keep this from being a "good" game.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I didn't forgive Becton. In my comment that you quoted, I clearly stated, "Those two sacks were on Becton." How is that forgiving Becton? I said that he was to blame for the sacks.

No, it doesn't go back to your point. The point is that you didn't have a viable point regarding Sam and the game. For most of the game, Sam was his normal crappy self. I don't know what happened to him that resulted in his play in the 4th Qtr., but it's been all too seldom that he has played like that. That's a fact!!!! Colorado was right. When Sam makes a mistake, he goes in to a shell and loses confidence, which leads to more poor play and more mistakes. He doesn't know how to shrug off or forget mistakes like the best CBs and QBs do.

Over the last month or so, you have been one of the ones who have been guilty of ignoring facts and believing whatever you want to. That's a big part of the reason I bolded it. You seem like a really good guy, and well intentioned, but your logic skills and reasoning need some work.

cval and REVISion like this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Fair assessment. It would have been a good game based on what was required/asked of him. But those pesky turnovers. They seem to enjoy Darnolds company.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I'd say that it would have been a "decent" game for Darnold sans the TOs. In all likelihood, a part of the reason (perhaps a big part) the Jets ran the ball so much is to avoid Sam making another mistake and turning the ball over again. The run game was working for a change, so why not stick with it kind of thing. Still, neither 200 yards passing nor barely 60% completion percentage is considered "good" for a QB in the NFL. It's mediocre/average or worse.

#134 NCJetsfan, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    REVISion likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He averages 5.7 yards per attempt this season outside of the Raiders game and 6.7 for his career. This game is an outlier.

This is only a game plan that works if you have a running game that guts a defense for 6 yards per attempt. No team has that, so you can't usually expect this sort of performance. Baltimore leads the league at 5.2 and that's because of Lamar's running ability.

So if/when Darnold gets a game with a fantastic supporting system, this sort of game looks like his ceiling. Under 200 yards passing, some red zone touchdowns and some turnovers.

The good thing is that he looked like he had life which is unlike how he's looked all year. Hopefully he puts together four really good to great games and we can revive his value.

REVISion likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

C'mon! You cannot take one game and extrapolate that to "this is his ceiling" when he's almost never had this kind of run support, even with Bell. And I blame that mostly on Gase and his shitty game plans and play calling, which would've prevailed again had not the fates intervened and knocked Gore out.

I've been open minded, and have even changed my mind regarding Darnold's abilities, meanwhile you and a few others are like a broken record, refusing to consider anything other than your judgment that he sucks. I remember you chastising me for repeatedly bringing up the failure to draft Mahomes all the time, and this is the same thing in your case. I get it...you believe Darnold sucks, but there's enough mitigating factors to question that assessment, and there is no way to provide enough proof to alter that.

17. REVISion

The argument all along has been that Sam hasn't had an ideal situation but he's been SO bad that even if he did have an ideal situation his absolute ceiling is probably mediocrity.

18. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Mr Sam apologist back in action. QBs around the league get sacked all the time but the onus is also on the QB to feel the pressure and not always fumble. The 2nd fumble especially Sam should of felt the pressure coming and been a little more secure with the ball.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Would you agree that it's possible he could be as mediocre as Tannehill,or Flacco in his prime, if he had better coaching and talent around him? I believe that he could be. But even if he's mediocre, that's far different than "trash" or "terrible". Yes, he has performed below average so far under extremely bad conditions, but if those conditions changed to become even adequate, it stands to reason that Darnold's perfomance would rise as well.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, that’s the key. It’s relevant to Darnold, not good QB’s. At this point, 3 TD’s and 60% completion would be a good game for him. But the turnovers happened whether they were all his fault or not.

Oh well..

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.