Boomer Esiason suggesting Cowher as the Jets next HC.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Dec 7, 2020.

1. There certainly no harm in vetting the cons of Cowher.Absolutely risk involved given when he last coached.

But hes still involved in the game & he sounds pretty well informed on the modern NFL climate.

He’s more of a figurehead CEO type anyway so it’s really more about what his overriding philosophies are offensively & who he brings in for an offensive staff.He’s gonna have a nice rolodex & what young coach on any level that doesnt know him is turning down his phone call?

SOJAZ, NYJFOREVER, JetBlue and 3 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Parcells was senile his last year with us. Remember after Vinny went down how he went into a shell for half the season, and only came out of it when it was too late? He'd lose track of the score and what down it was, and he was the one who called the halfback option pass vs Detroit that cost us the playoffs. No thanks.

3. NCJetsfan

You don't "have" to do anything. If it's Douglas' decision, I certainly hope that he wouldn't hire the next HC based on "hope" that the HC would hire up and coming coordinators. He should want to know who those coordinators will be. If Cowher is truly interested in the job, he needs to have his coordinators committed before he interviews with the Jets.

4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Beggars can't be choosers but ideally I want a young guy who can be here for decades and grow with our young players..

That said I wouldn't be mad at all if Cowher came here. He could be the stabilizing force we need. If he came here with a clear #2 guy and a succession plan (Cowher coaches for a few years, helps build toward success, then hands it off to whoever he's groomed) I think that could be just what the doctor ordered.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and Snatch Catch like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

The only 2 reasons I would be hesitant about the Jets talking with Cowher are one, the Johnsons could fall in love with him while Douglas sees conflict and problems in what Cowher says, yet since the Johnsons own the team, they could force Cowher on Douglas and keep the same dumb org chart; and two, while the Jets are talking/negotiating with Cowher, the coach they really need could sign with someone else.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

The following coaches are part of the Bill Cowher coaching tree: Bruce Arians, Chan Gailey, Dom Capers and Jim Haslett.

Would we see Gailey back as OC and Dom Capers or Jim Haslett here as DC?

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd be ok with the following:
    Cowher as HC
    Tony Elliot as OC
    Jim Leonhard as DC

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Cowher was the hire I’d like to see him choose a young innovative OC that hopefully can groom to replace him when the time comes.

Tony Elliott is an obvious name that jumps out as a perfect pairing but I’m sure there are many others.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I see this perspective, but I feel like I'd have to talk myself into it.

Has a head coach ever taken a 14 year sabbatical, then come back and been successful?

Gruden was a 9 year gap, and they had to basically give him the keys to the franchise with that contract, and he was still only 54. I hope the Jets don't do this with Cowher, who will be a decade older at 64 next year. Get someone with the patient vision to build alongside Douglas from the ground up. After almost 15 years away from the profession, I don't trust Cowher in any way to give anything other than a short term bounce at best.

If they want to go the foolish route (in my opinion) and hire a football celebrity, I'd honestly rather them burn the money on Tony Romo or someone like that over Cowher.

More than anything though I'd rather them find the flat out best option as a cutting edge football mind and leader. Eff a celebrity coach. Do this properly for once - don't be cheap on the low end and/or blow your money on style over substance. Get it RIGHT.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

As long as the #2 guy doesn't then resign as HC of the NYJ and win 6 Super Bowls with the Patriots, sounds good to me!

11. NCJetsfan

That would definitely be what is needed (for him to pick a young innovative OC that can be groomed to replace him when he retires again).

12. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I think we need a Cowher like coach, however he has been away from the game too long. With our organization having so many weird roles and chain of command, we need a guy who has been in a great NFL structure to change how we do things. Our coach needs to manage the team. We are at a huge disadvantage against other teams in that we have these chains of command that must be changed before we start to re-build anything.It seems our offense, defense, and GM equally contribute to our owners for decisions is insane. One person with football knowledge needs to be in charge. JD should be that person but he seems weak, Gase is running the show right now and JD seems to be his puppet. Bring in Harbaugh and give him the reins,new GM,etc. He will burn out in three yrs but we will have a structure to build on. We need a bridge to change what is wrong with our team, we are so far behind what good teams do . This is not a quick 3-5 yr plan. Harbaugh might get us as a contender ,however we will need a second coach to lead us to the next level

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think you highlighted it though. People are worried about a guy that still uses a rolodex rather than simply opening the contacts app on their smart phone.

In all seriousness though, that's a great point. He'd probably have his pick of the litter in terms of position coaches and assistants.

FJF likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I do not believe that Cowher would come here without telling the Johnson's how it will be and not the other way around.

NFL franchises can turn around on a dime if you hire the right coach and find the right quarterback. We're not that far away from a quick rebuild.

The franchises that try to play some sort of long game are the ones that end up like the Browns of the 2000s and the past ten years until this one.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. Dick Vermeil

16. NCJetsfan

I agree with everything except Tony Romo. Cowher is a HOF Coach and was a winner. Romo has never coached. I don't think it's because he's a "celebrity" but rather because he was a great coach who knows how to develop a winner, and his teams didn't beat themselves.

17. NCJetsfan

and

Would neither of you not have any concerns about Elliott having no NFL experience and this being his first year as OC? He has never even coached QBs. I think I'd rather have an OC who has more experience as an OC and who has some NFL experience, and I know I'd rather the OC having had some experience as a QB Coach.

And HerndonFan, you have no problems with Jim Leonhard never coaching in the NFL, even though he played in the NFL for 10 seasons? At least he has 3 seasons experience as a DC, but again, I think I'd prefer someone who has NFL coaching experience, and preferably experience as a DC in the NFL.

Do either of you have any interest in Dan Quinn as DC? He has a ton of experience (including serving as the Jets DL Coach in 2007-2008) and was the Seahawks' DC.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Exactly. The value of Cowher isn’t that he is is needed to be the coordinator of one of the sides or call plays, it’s his proven ability to organize and motivate coaches and players. There’s no reason to believe he’d take the job with no interest in coaching the game as it is today and would seek coordinators who want to play the game like it was 15 years ago.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But the Jets could be talking to Cowher today and lose nothing while waiting for the rest of the pack to be freed when the season ends.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Chan Gailey is with Tua in Miami, running a "simple" offense.

I am wary of Cowher, a defensive guy, bringing in an OC who, if he works with Lawrence/Fields/Darnold....and he lights it up....will be gone in 2-3 years for his own HC job.