Jets fire Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Dec 7, 2020.

1. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Why all the fuss? Haven't the Jets been playing cover zero all along, since, well, they haven't covered anybody all season long? You have to feel bad for Sam Darnold and how the kid has been exploited during this tank. If you read between the lines from his quote yesterday, it seems it is finally beginning to sink in with him exactly what the organization has been up to.

SOJAZ likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You know the first two times I read this I thought you were being facetious; it was only after I read another of your posts that I realized you were dead serious.

The title that Adam Gase carries is "Head Coach." With the glory there comes the responsibility for every single thing that happens on the field, regardless of who has the ball. That includes every single defensive play.

Adam Gase has absolutely proven he is neither "a QB whisperer" nor an "offensive genius;" he has proven he is a fraud. How can an offensive coordinator know little about defenses? That entire job is about getting one up on whatever the defense throws out there. How can a play caller make his decisions without knowing what options are available to the defense? If a defensive call with fifteen seconds left in the game was important enough to fire someone over, why wasn't it important enough to call time out and make sure everyone was on the same page?

If you're looking at rationalizing his lack of rapport with the defense because he has none with the offense you're barking up the wrong tree. What "looks strange" is his sitting by himself scribbling in the middle of the game - he's supposed to be leading it. Nobody today should give the tiniest crap about what Schottenheimer did years ago or Rex Ryan's reaction to it or an obscure fullback (seriously?) when every head coach carries the responsibility for the entire game.

3. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

1 down....1 to go....

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  4. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Farewell Tank Commander Willam's [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

apjbfc likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I was listening to PFT today, and much of the show was on the Jets (go figure). They talked about Gregg Williams and the arrangement the Jets have with Gregg 'owning' the D. Apparently that arrangement is pretty common, either an offensive HC giving total control of the D to a DC, or vice versa. I think were Gase failed is he failed to call his last TO when he saw a zero blitz or heard it coming over the headset. But that call was 100% on Gregg Williams. Not 99%. 100%.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Is this really pretty common? Then what's the point of having a head coach if he has 0 input in one of the sides? In key situations HC should still drive the strategy even if offensive coordinator makes exact call. And if the HC is coming from coordinator role, he needs to spend a lot of time with the opposite playbook to truly become a HC. Gase hasn't done that at all. Gregg was the HC of defense, reporting to no one, and if anything this episode shows that this type of arrangement cannot go forward. It's OK to get next HC who was a coordinator, but if we get a coach like that, he can't just be a coordinator any more, like Gase has been for the Jets (and literally the worst one in the League by far).

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

PFT gave a few examples but I forget who they were. They talked about HC sitting on the gator aid can looking over their next series of plays while the D is on the field. There was also one D head coach who turned the offense over to the OC and never got involved. Remember how frustrated we got when Rex piped in on the offense? Exactly.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Firing Gregg Williams is nothing more than rearraigning the deck chairs on the Titanic. This franchise is deep in the shitter and the only way out is the Johnsons selling the team OR letting someone with a football brain run the show and they stay far far away. They're running this team the same way Capt. Smith ran his ship into an iceberg.

Here's to you Adam Gase... Why don't you just resign and GTFOH before we have to start flying planes and banners again...

[​IMG]

#168 Cman68, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I've been reading through this thread and there have been quite a few really good posts. But this one is really good statjeff. And your right. If it was #3 you just can't have that. Plus as others have alluded to there was probably some verbal altercation afterwords that we aren't privy to. Or at least not yet.

10. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like Gase.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

More Loggains surely?

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex should never have been a head coach in the NFL. He didn't have the discipline to keep a team together even if the talent had been there long-term, which it wasn't.

The one kind of coach that almost universally blows out in the NFL is the happy-go-lucky player's coach. NFL players need to feel that their job is on the line every week. The great ones need to feel like they're just one inch shy of being an all-time great and that one inch requires full attention to their trade every week.

Rex was just goofy at times and never has a goofy disciplinarian graced an NFL sideline and never will.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And yet, Gase is the HC!:confused::mad:

SOJAZ and Centiment like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't really blame Gase for not getting the first down; given the amount of time left on the clock, running three times was the correct call.

15. ColoradoContrails

Not until he had secured the 1st down it wasn't.

SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The most happy go lucky coach I can ever think of is Pete Carroll, how is that working out for a Seattle?

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Darnold throws incomplete, the Raiders get the ball back with a minute and a half to play. And if he throws incomplete more than once, the Raiders can keep one or both of their timeouts. Plus he could always throw an interception. So the smart play is run it three times, best case the Raiders miss tackles and you get the first down, whereas worst case you give them the ball back with 30-40 seconds and no timeouts. Which is what happened and would have won the Jets the game if Williams hadn't gone rogue.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

100% correct. There are only a handful of quarterbacks you allow to throw in that situation. Darnold is not one of them.

Jets79, JetBlue and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Thats not unreasonable at this point. One could make plenty of valid arguments for why that shouldn’t matter, and it definitely should have happened no later than the bye, but here were are, knocking on the door of making some shitty history. Let the conductor have his curtain call. Then fire him into the sun.

20. ColoradoContrails

I still disagree. They needed to get that 1st down. But the three running plays they called were vanilla puke. I remember thinking at the time "Gase just assumes they've won this and doesn't think the Raiders can score again". Yes, Williams' blown gamble cost them the game, but so did not getting a 1st down to run out the clock.

Ralebird likes this.