Poll;If Gase is HC next year, will you still be a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Dec 7, 2020.

?

Will you still be a Jets fan?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. No but I might come back if he's fired eventually

44 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I am from NY and have been a Jets fan for 50 years, but if the Jets continue to have a moron as their head coach, I will be switch to the Browns. I live in Ohio now and they are a team that finally deserve some fans.

2. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

If Gase is back I’ll be done until the Johnsons sell the team. All of my gear will go in the garbage and I’ll detach from football other than playing fantasy. I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1995. If this team doesn’t bring me enjoyment and excitement why invest time, money or emotion in them. We turn to sports for enjoyment and to get away from regular life. With the uncertainty going on in today’s state how can rooting for this team with the current management from owner to head coach be productive. The right hire and a new direction would get me excited and keep me in. Doing the same thing next year would be insanity. That’s where I’ll get off.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that one of the factors that makes it easier to walk away and be a casual fan from a distance is that my kids are now grown and would rather be with their friends watching the Sunday games on TV instead of going to every home game. If there is a great match-up they still want to go but the Jets haven't had one of those type of home games in nearly a decade. At this point if they don't do the right thing I give up my seats. It's easier and cheaper to find 1 or 2 games I'd want to go to "if" they ever become competitive again.

Brook! and barfolomew like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! Saying "you win with players" as if the CS doesn't matter is one of the dumbest things I've seen stated on this site.

88toon and barfolomew like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’ve endured 40ish years of misery I can certainly endure 1 more. I’m a Jets fan for life, not a Jets fan only when I like what’s going on, that’s just the way it is.

westiedog1, Mogriffjr, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we end up with Trevor 100% of you will be back no matter who the HC is.

Jets81 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and if they fuck up the pick, MetLife will be a ghost town on Opening Day Gase or no Gase... A lot depends on this upcoming offseason. A lot of moving parts need to be nailed down and a solid plan put into place regarding LEADERSHIP first and foremost.

#REALLYF'NTIREDOFTHECIRCUS

8. NCJetsfan

Exactly! No one has spent more time and energy on this site than I have over the last 7 years. I wouldn't have done that if I didn't love the Jets and wasn't totally in. I learned years ago that the Jets were an unhealthy obsession. I chose to continue in this obsession in the hopes that the Jets would finally get it right, win a SB and I could walk away. If the Johnsons keep Gase with Douglas here, it's a clear sign that they are totally clueless, yet determined to run the Jets and not allow a competent leader to run the team, so they will never win that SB.

This idea that once you're a fan, you're a fan for life, is one of the saddest, and potentially self-destructive things I've ever heard. These guys don't realize that what they are saying is that they are stuck with decisions they made earlier in life, and either don't understand that they can change those decisions/choices once they get better information and can make a wiser, more informed decision, or they feel powerless to make a change. That is sad. With the exception of a very small handful of posters, every person here seems like a decent sort that I'd be happy to sit down and have a brew with. Continuing to do things in the same way without any changes being made and expecting a different result is one of the definitions of insanity. Continuing to honor some decision or commitment one made as a child when one has become an adult and realizes the folly of that choice or decision, is irrational and self-destructive. We have brains for a reason. We can continue to learn and grow, realize that mistakes were made, that circumstances have changed, and that some things aren't healthy for us. I understand the very strong emotional ties and connection with being a fan. That's why it has taken me 5-10 years to get to this point.

It's precisely because I love the Jets, that I won't be a part of continuing to see them dishonored by being run in such an incompetent, clueless fashion. It's also because I have self respect and value my time and what I do with my time and energy. There is enough stress, frustration, and heartache in life without intentionally piling more on yourself. That's some real self-loathing going on that can harm one physically, emotionally, and psychologically. If I have to walk away, it will be very sad for me. It won't be something I do lightly, but it will be something I do for my mental health and quality of life. If I have to walk away from being a Jets fan, that's it for me, the NFL, and football/sports in general. I won't "choose" another team to follow, even though there are other teams I like. Life is too short and there are too many other wonderful and interesting people and things out there, and too much need. If I walk away from the Jets, then I will use the time and energy I've poured into the Jets into making the world a better place before I leave it.

#68 NCJetsfan, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    No Fly Zone, barfolomew and Jets1035 like this.
  9. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

I would remain a fan even if (and I think it's a big if) Gase remains as a HC. I know it's only a matter of time when he gets the can and they hire a new guy.
    This situation is comparable to my fandom of Aston Villa in English football, or soccer as you call it. I've been a fan of them since '96 and they've won nothing since then, even playing in the second division for three seasons. Now finally they are showing signs of being competent again, and oh what a feeling it is.
    I'm hoping that eventually the Jets are going to do the same, especially if we have a chance to draft Lawrence. Even if it will take a little longer, I'm in for the long haul. One Adam Gase cannot turn me away, no matter how shitty of a coach he is.

Brook! and westiedog1 like this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

If you're a fan of this team, (or at least say you are) then you should be used to losses and dysfunction. That has been the history of the Jets and still is the very essence of this team which makes being a fan special in a perverse way. It's easy to be a fan of the Patriots, or Green Bay or the Steelers. Nevertheless, being a Jet fan requires courage in the face of despair, fortitude in the face of defeat, and analysis in the face of dysfunction. Gase or no Gase, there is no team for me other than the New York Jets.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Jets suck, so I just find something else to do until they show that they can put a decent product on the field. There are more important things to do than watch a bunch of losers. That's not entertainment... And I have no desire to switch or waste time with other teams. It's either the Jets or don't bother with football at all for me.

12. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

How do I not watch Trevor Lawrence?

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Saying "I will the quit the Jets if Gase returns" is like saying, "I will leave the country if Trump is elected".

Am I really going to put all of my eggs in one basket over my hatred of one person? That is so this era...and this era sucks. We've become worse people for it.

I've been a jet fan for 43 years. I'm not going to throw all that away over my dislike of one person - and if I was the person would be Woody Johnson, not the lowly Adam Gase.

I don't like or want Gase back. But if he is back it will just be year 44.

Mogriffjr and westiedog1 like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

It's about much more than Gase. You wouldn't be throwing anything away. You'd be cutting your losses.

In a very real way, it's like we've become like abused wives, or victims of Stockholm Syndrome. Sad, very sad.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Would I still be a fan.....yes. Would I watch games? No.

It is so strange to be watching and rooting for the team to lose. I understand losing is more important than a win this season, but it is weird to be doing this for so long. It's pretty much been rooting to lose since our TNF loss to the Broncos. It has been to long. JUST END THE SEASON.

16. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I said this before in the Gase thread: If they keep him after an 0-16, 1-15, 2-14 season, I just can’t see myself supporting this team anymore. My wife, who only watches football if we physically go to a game is wondering why he hasn’t been fired yet. I can see keeping him for the rest of the season...finish what you started, get us that future hall of fame qb. Enjoy the rest of you career coaching DIII football somewhere.

Keeping him is insane and it shows the owners don’t give a shit about fans or can even make sound decisions. Not worth my time watching or my money in merch or ticket sales.

The thing is, I’ve been a Jets fan for so long, I wouldn’t even know who else to root for. I suffered through the Kotite era and that was better than this and Kotite was better than this clown. That really is saying something.

He ruined Sam and he’ll ruin TL, Fields, Wilson or whoever we end up with. Can’t watch that again. Now that GW is gone...stuff is going to start leaking out and I hope it puts the last nail in his coffin. He really has to go.

88toon, ouchy and NYJalltheway like this.
  17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I don’t think I could ever not be a jet-fan. I suppose it would be a lot like this year. This was the first season (fan since mid 80s), that I haven’t made sure to be there to watch every game. I’ve watched only the 2 prime time games this year, that’s it. And even those I didn’t care much. I won’t buy any merch, etc or support this wreck in any way.

18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Post Namath era I wound up rooting for underdog players rather than teams, Bert Jones, Vince Ferragamo, Craig Morton post NYG days, Steve Grogan (one of the 1st running QB's I can remember other than Fran) etc. I can do that again and its easier now with fantasy football, red zone etc. I will not let these owners or awful coaches take me down.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I have nothing to base then on other than my personal feelings but here's my take.....
    All the media and nfl insiders talk like Gase is def gone but I fully believe JD and the Johnson's are 50/50 on moving on right now... maybe not even that high. I think they will look for a way to keep him I really do.
    If we get the #1 pick I think Gase is gone, not bc the FO wants him out, but I don't think Lawrence will come here if Gase is here.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

As historically terrible this franchise has been since it's inception, and as many moronic things it does year in year out, you're telling me keeping Gase another year would make you leave LMFAO