Jets fire Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Dec 7, 2020.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this is all bullshit, williams is the fall guy, for now.

gase allegedly spoke with the gm and ceo or owner or whatever the moron is before firing him and they all agreed. the only reason they did it was because they dont want anyone to think that they are throwing the season. or he kicked gase ass. im so fucking tired of this shit show with this franchise, its nothing new it was a shit show with the last moron coach bowels and was a clown show with the moron before him.

i can believe these fucking morons would keep gase, it would be as jetslike as all the rest of it.

when they were about to win i tweeted, same old jets.... then they lost and i tweeted same old jets

it almost doesnt matter what they do anymore theyre just the same old jets.

I really hope that the idiots who own this god forsaken team can figure it out. i need more than wants to start believing it. i think joe willie namath may have sold his soul and the jets franchise soul to the devil back in superbowl III.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not evidence of any such thing. It's just a matter of no changes have been made to the org chart. Gase is still the HC and has the ability to fire any of his CS he wants until he himself is fired. What would have been the point of Chris Johnson taking that power away from Gase? If he was going to do that, then he should have just gone ahead and fired Gase. He would have been ridiculed unmercifully for taking that power away from Gase, yet retaining Gase as the HC.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I would add that he gives us the best chance of getting to 0-16.

Noam likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to look at this through Adam's eyes. He's still pretty young, and if things worked out here he'd have a long career ahead of him in the NFL.

Now? Probably not.

His career and football life are about to be over. I truly believe Gase is doing EVERYTHING in his power to win as many games as possible. Gase HAS to be a bit pissed at CJ for taking the year off, and at Joe D for trading away his best players (Anderson, Jamal Adams), then trading away even more (Steve McClendon and Avery Williamson). This had to piss off Gregg too, but that's history now.

Back to Gase: I have to believe he'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to win out. 4-12. ANYTHING other than 0-16. And it would be a huge cherry for Gase to knock the Jets out of the Trevor sweepstakes on his way out the door. I think Gase could taste our first win, then Gregg threw it away. I really think Gase was beyond pissed at Gregg and fired him the instant he could.

Jets have been slowly getting better the last few weeks with Sam back, our oline having time to jell, and our rookie backfield having several games under their belts now. Add the young RBs racking up over 200 yards on the ground last week. Joe Douglas has to be getting VERY nervous.

It's unlikely the Jets win any games this year, but Gase will be doing EVERYTHING he can to win out, on the way out. His future in the NFL and his family's financial future depend on it. I have no clue what Gase can possibly do different in the coming weeks, but I'm sure he's gonna try something, pull out all the stops.

5. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Best thing that's happened all year. I hated that bastard from day one!

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. You're the owner. You say, sorry we have 4 games left, your team is 0-12. We're not making any changes at this time because we need to re-evaluate things in a month. If you want to quit, go ahead, but this is what's happening. This just screams over his head owner who's being played by Gase. Hopefully Woody has some balls because clearly his brother doesn't.

rammagen and 88toon like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

You can't have the perception that the team is intentionally tanking. They had to fire Williams. If you take the power away from Gase to fire Williams, you are making a change, so your reasoning is a fail.

Of course it's over both the Johnsons' heads. They have no freaking clue what they're doing, but it makes zero sense to take away Gase's power to control his CS. That makes him a lame duck. What difference does it make if Williams is fired now or in a month? The whole CS will be gone following the last game.

JetBlue likes this.
  8. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I;ll be completely honest, most of my reaction is coming from the worry that they will keep Gase. I'm not convinced he's gone. I hope I'm wrong.

rammagen, 88toon, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Only in the alternate universe call the NY Jets is this loser HC still employed. I am sure that Machiavelli could learn a thing or two about "deflection from this putz...

remember, "A Wiseman can play a fool, but a fool can not play a Wiseman." In football parlance AG is the fool.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Under the category of Williams calling a 0-cover blitz to stick it to Gase, it occurs to me that after he just watched Gase screw up getting the one first down they needed to run out the clock and clinch the win, he might well have said "Fuck it! You want to do something that stupid, then you need to pay the price". Of course, like many intended acts of "revenge" it backfired, and Williams paid the price, but he's probably laughing all the way to his easy chair, counting his money.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that postgame conversation between Gase and Williams. Would be somewhat hard, I'd think, for Gase to get upset with someone for losing a game because of a crappy call. He's become so good at doing that you'd think that's what he was hired to do rather than, you know, develop a QB and win some football games.

If/when Trevor Lawrence wins us a Super Bowl. After all of the celebrations have subsided and the championship hardware has been handed out, sometime in the middle of the night without any word to the media, someone should erect a statue of Gregg Williams outside the stadium.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, alleycat9 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

13. NCJetsfan

He will be gone. Even the Johnsons can't be that stupid. They would be laughed out of the NFL by the other owners, if not forced to sell the team for the good of the league by the Commissioner. Most Jets fans would revolt. They'd probably get hundreds, if not thousands of cancellations of season tickets and private seat licenses. Sales of team merchandise would plummet, there'd be more opposing team fans at home games than Jets fans, and the Jets fans that were there would boo unmercifully. The local and national media would rape the Johnsons on a daily basis all of next year. I also don't see any way that Douglas would stand for that. I don't think they would want to risk losing him. They'd really be ridiculed even more. Even those two losers aren't that freaking stupid. It's gonna happen. BELIEVE!

cmcm750203 likes this.
  14. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Despite the coaching carousel spinning every year, very few firing decisions are as much a no brainier as firing Adam Gase. Is hard to identify one thing he has done well. He makes me yearn for the days of Bowles and Rex.

Although the Browns didn't fire Hue Jackson after going 0-16 and 1-31, so I suppose anything is possible.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

He wasn't lying. I heard a stat earlier that Williams has called that same exact play 11 times this season (obviously not in the same situation). Opposing teams went 7 for 11 with 3 touchdowns. He simply refused to let it go and decided to go for the sack (and the win) despite not having the weapons. He bet wrong... again.

On the flip side, if Gase had found a way to get a damn first down instead of going 3 and out in the previous series, we'd be having a totally different discussion.

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Thank you, New York Jets.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The only way that play makes any sort of sense is if you like up 7 guys on the line and send them all. It still doesn't make much sense.

But he sent three guys from three+ yards off the LOS and the protection has time to setup and funnel the blitzers outside.

Snoopdogg likes this.
  18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That is an unbelievably damning statistic. I guess I really do have to accept that he could call it with deliberate thought, while not trying to stick it to Gase. This statistic demonstrates better than anything could just how arrogant and idiotic that decision, and the person who made it, is.

19. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

This was pure Greg Williams saying F u Adam Gase. That is why he was fired. Greg Williams guaranteed that Adam Gase goes down as one of if not the worst coach in NFL history.

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

I was thinking to myself earlier today that the Jets literally could have lined up 45 yards off the line of scrimmage with all 11 guys spread across the goal line while yelling red rover red rover send Henry Ruggs over and that would have been a better play calling decision than a Cover 0 all-out blitz.

HomeoftheJets likes this.