Boomer Esiason suggesting Cowher as the Jets next HC.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Dec 7, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I really don't want Cowher because the league has changed too much since he retired, and it could be another Phil Jackson triangle offense disaster. But hey, anyone's better than Gase.

Brook! and Noam like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that you think this way. He coached in an entirely different era. He may not have forgotten how to coach, but so many things are different from the CBA, to the number of padded practices a team can have, to the players, to the style of play, I don't think his style of coaching would work with today's players. I strongly doubt if he would be able to relate to them at all. I believe he was pretty conservative as well, and would be a defensive-oriented HC with a strong running attack. It would be pointless to have Lawrence then.

Brook! likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Now THIS I could possibly get on board with unless he'd want to tell Douglas how to do his job. Hire him as the VP or President of Football Operations.

4. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Interesting. He seems to crop up as a rumor every time a nyc coaching vacancy occurs - at least as wishful thinking. But there is always a reply from a surrogate that says Cowher isn’t interested in a return. I’d rather go younger, but it’s an interesting development that it’s of interest. A coach definitely can return after a lengthy absence, such as Dick Vermeil in STL. He’s got credibility and we could do way way worse!

5. NCJetsfan

He'd have to convince me that he is up to date on all the rule changes and style of play, have to hire the right coordinators and QB Coach to see that Lawrence flourished, work well with Douglas, and show that he can adapt to today's game. I'm not sure that he has the energy to be a HC today.

I loved him when he was the Steelers' HC, but that was a long time ago.

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He'll fit right in. He could never beat the Patriots either.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You always take a proven winner, even one with an extended absence from the sidelines like he has.

Cowher has too much passion, still seems up to date on the current state of the game and is too much of a winner not to make a good run at it.

He needs to be the lead guy calling the shots. He can surround himself with a talented staff.

Have him build a strong team around Lawrence and mentor him.

8. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'm open to the idea, though it would be weird for Johnson to hire a coach who has actually won in the NFL before.

9. jackie1013

jackie1013 Member

Say what you want about Rex Ryan, he brought fire to the team. I wish Rex had a better GM and a little more time, who knows?That’s what I would like to see from the next head coach, some killer instinct, smart but tough. Gase is like watching paint dry.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bowles was like watching paint dry. Gase is like watching paint dry while being tortured like Alex in A Clockwork Orange.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I know he lives in nyc and it would be ideal for him. Dick Vermiel did it after a long absence. I would be intrigued

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lawrence needs a steady guy like Bill C to father him into the NFL..like Reid does with Mahomes

Hire the Clemson OC and then will be cooking with gas guys

JetsNation06 likes this.
  13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I agree with what's been said about him being away from the game too long and the game has changed since he last coached.

I'll add he's old. I've seen Vermeil's name mentioned I think Coughlin is a good comparison as well. I looked it up both those coaches had already gotten back into coaching for a minimum of three years when they were the same age as Cowher today.

Pete Carrol is another good comparison I think.

BUT Cowher would bring instant credibility not only because of who he is but where he last coached. Even more than Jim Harbaugh.

I don't know I wouldn't know what to expect but at this point what have the Jets got to lose?

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Tomlin has convinced me that Steeler's success is institutionalized. So i'd pass on COwher

Now, not that i'm suggesting this, but Jimmy Johnson is a different beast. He took teams that sucked and turned them around fairly quickly

Hoping DOuglas gets to pick and JOhnsons keep their stupid noses out of it. If for some reason the Johnsons or Douglas think Gase is a good guy they can always promote him into some irrelevant role

barfolomew likes this.
  15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

All of u girls that are negative on Cowher are absolutely nuts......

Perhaps none of u remember that last 1-15 genius we had on the sideline and the enema that had to be administered after that season....enter parcells.

25 years later we not only need a super sized enema but a complete extermination of Florham park from this 0-16 gem......enter cowher.

sign me up.

16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yes of course you take him

he was not away from the game just not a coach

he’s a leader of men. Winner. Grinder.

let coordinators manage the incredibly difficult “modern” NFL by running the old option game with a pass option. Wow complex

not to mention every young player knows the guy assuming they watch Tv (which now, many don’t)

he should make some TikToks soon

17. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Eh. It’s hard to make a case he’d be worse than what we got now, but I’d rather them seek head coaching elsewhere

18. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Only retired coach I'd be interested in is Parcells. But Bieneimy, Harbaugh, and D Pederson might be available. Pederson has connection with JD, and the Jets had been chasing Harbaugh in the past, and the hottest name in the game will be Bienemy.

I like all the options considering we had Gase, but prefer Bienemy to get the call. I like what KC is doing and hope we can use that blueprint here.

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well you know what though. Trying to get to where football is going hasn't been working out for us the last couple years. Maybe to REALLY get to where its going we should go where its already been.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Probably the same things said by Rams fans said when they hired Dick Vermeil

KurtTheJetsFan and JetBlue like this.