Jets fire Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Dec 7, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This scares me, it shows that Gase still has somebody's ear and that is a very frightening thought indeed.

88toon, Jets79, alleycat9 and 2 others like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What part of the fact that the ownership, the GM, the CS and most of all the players whose livelihood depends on it HAVE ZERO interest about going 0-16 don't people believe? GW was fired for massive egotistical stupidity in his play calling pissing off not just the players that work their asses off for a win but also every fan that loves to see the hard work been rewarded. Under the same premise Gase should have been fired after the third week and bring in some winning attitude into this pathetic organization. Every team out there is playing harder that shit, starting with the JAX. No one is purposely tanking for a QB that wouldn't want to go to a fucking organization with a looser mentality in the first place. .

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What people forget is the defense made two great stands the drive before. We stopped them on 4th down but Maye had a PI and gave them a fresh set of downs to win it. Then we stuffed them all 4 plays again. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I don't think the call on that last play was an accident.

JetBlue likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I still maintain that Williams was taking a calculated gamble that just didn't work out. This is a guy who wants so badly to win that he allegedly paid players to hurt opposing players. I don't accept that he would willingly throw a game, which is what he's being accused of. And I'm not GW fan. I think his Bountygate crap should've earned him a lifetime ban, and I'm glad he's gone, but to fire him and not Gase is hypocritical and plain wrong.

How many games has Gase's coaching cost them? How many players did Williams ruin compared to Gase? And Gase of the fucking HC, where on other teams, that's where the "buck stops", because they're supposed to be in control of ALL facets of the team, not just the ones they'd prefer to work with! The Raiders had just missed on a Hail Mary the play before, so why didn't the HC call a time out and make sure everyone was on the same page before the next play? That's what even a cpmetent HC would do. So why is Gase still the HC?

Fuck the ignorant, hypocritical Johnsons!

Jets81, 88toon, Jets79 and 9 others like this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I don't think this move has anything to do with Gase remaining.

They had to make this move because there is a substantial dialogue right now about the deliberate move to preserve the #1 overall pick. The Jets absolutely do not want to go 0-16 and cannot allow this perception to exist.

I also do not believe Gregg Williams was even close to being the top problem.

This team is going to need an army of excellent coaches across the board and none of those mentioned will work with Gase. I can't imagine the Jets retain Gase. 0-16 is all but locked.

I really want Jax to win 1 game to take the pressure off though. I really don't want to go 0-16 either. It would be nice to go into the NE game with a 2 game lead and can play hard.

Jets79, SOJAZ, alleycat9 and 3 others like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Well said. To answer your question as to how many games Gase has cost us I would argue with any other bad HC this team would have at least 4 wins and quite possibly a lot more. With any other bad coach Denver, NE, Buffalo and LV become wins. Hopefully, we will be rewarded with TL as well as Douglas in exchange for all the pain and agony that the Gase era has given us.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's funny, there were some last week (I think Keshawn Johnson among these) calling for Gase to be fired and Gregg to take over HC. You need to put this perspective. We will have all new coaching staff next year anyway, so Gregg Williams would be gone either way. And to be frank including this call (and it was a bad one), Jets defense is 29th in the League, last year was I think #6. Offense is 32nd this year and last. So yeah, as bad as defense is, it has been way better than offense. So, firing Gregg before Gase made no sense. Except...

There is now talk that he did this on purpose to lose this game, so this is just a PR move to show that Jets are not trying to lose on purpose, as simple as that.

SOJAZ and GQMartin like this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just what I wrote. Agreed.

9. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

They both deserve the axe. But I finally get keeping Gase through the season.
    They're making the captain go down with the ship. It would be unfair for someone to have to face the onslaught of the media if they fail to win a game.
    Someone who had zero responsibility for this mess. It serves Gase right that he will have to answer for all the BS at season's end.
    Williams, he got off easy today. And probably with a Christmas bonus.

Jets81 likes this.
  10. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Oh, so this is the media criticism they want to react to? A stupid call but in the most important time of the game shouldn't the head coach know what his defensive coordinator was calling? Override side playcall. Call a timeout to stop it? Does Gase not share any culpability? No one on that coaching staff should have been fired before Gase.

88toon, Jets79, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

nobody is better at pitching himself for new jobs than Gregg Williams.

He probably gets a job with the Raiders next year since he helped them out a year early. Maybe that was the plan after all...

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

1000% in agreement with you . Perception is truth in sports. This organization is lacking credibility across the board. Even the hint of such a deliberate move casts a big shadow on the leadership not to mention on the opinion of the college players to be drafted.. We have to clean house and the sooner the better.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and GQMartin like this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Now that Williams is gone a practical question going forward is which unit (offense or defense) has been the biggest disappointment and should we dedicate more resources to fixing the defense if we plan to add Trever Lawrence and at least one good to very good offensive lineman to the offence?

In other words, if our golden boy is the savior of the offense do we want to prioritize finding the next Revis, Abraham, etc?

14. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

The Johnson's are garbage owners. I wish the league would step in and do anything they can to get this team away from them.

Jets79, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  15. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Nope. Colts tried that with Luck. If Lawrence is for real, then you feed him and don't stop feeding him.

It doesn't mean neglecting the defensive side, but just that if things or tied or close in comparing two players, tiebreaker goes to the Golden Boy.

16. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

On the flip side...at least I get to see Jet highlights this week.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Build up the offense so that Trevor is set up to succeed, but don't neglect CB and Edge. With the number of picks we have over the next two drafts, it's possible to build a balanced team while Trevor's on his rookie deal.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If Gase was "trying his hardest to win" he would have been side by side with Williams making sure they agreed on how to play the last minute of the game. He's the Head Coach - that's his job. The whole co-head coach thing was a joke, and a disaster, from the onset.

19. impure

impure Well-Known Member

He made the same call the play before too, Carr just overthrew the WR.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am and always have been an advocate of taking the best available player.

With that said I believe that interior offensive linemen have been under-appreciated and at least one nasty road grader would make our offense much more dangerous.

Pepsiguy5, apjbfc and FJF like this.