Jets fire Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Dec 7, 2020.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Compare the last month of Darnold's rookie season to what we're seeing now.....total regression :(

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Perhaps that’s the genius in all of this. Gregg Williams has led a solid unit for not having anyone notable playing cornerback or linebacker this season. Gase has contributed more to the tank than Williams, but with the media crying about a Jets tank and Williams’ 1 bad play call, we just simultaneously shut them up while probably making the team worse in the process.

3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

While they should both be fired, the difference between Gase and Williams is that Gase is trying, and is simply terrible at what he does.

Williams wasn't even trying on that last play. He was obviously totally checked out and being intentionally reckless.

You can deal with the former in order to get to the end of the season with a mutual respect before firing someone. You cannot abide the latter under any circumstances, in any profession.

(Even if I was shouting/jumping/clapping/celebrating jubilantly when Ruggs caught that ball :D )

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Ralebird likes this.
  5. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

I dont think it has anything to do with the play call. If you watch Gase's post game, he was very upset, and did say he spoke to Williams after the game. I think Gase and Williams got into it. Williams probably put hands on Gase, and had to be fired.

Was it a bad play call? Yes, if you're trying to win. I think Gase is fighting for his job, and Williams did just enough for the other teams to win.

Pepsiguy5 and alleycat9 like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he deserved to be fired after that bullshit call yesterday

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Just think about how bad of a coaching staff you have to have, to do something that's soooo incredibly off-the-charts stupid, that people legitimately think that its MORE likely you did it on purpose to lose, than you can actually BE that stupid.

Let that sink in.

8. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I would think Gase fired him. Makes me a little nervous that if he has that authority at this stage, that he may be back next year.

alleycat9 and cmcm750203 like this.
  9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The real hilarity would be if they turn around and hire him as HC after securing the Trevor Lawrence pick...

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Take with a grain of salt. Buddy sent it to me, he’s had Giant non essential news before it got to the press...

11. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Yup, this is my big worry. How he has the power to fire anyone with 4 games left is beyond me, control of staff or not. You're the owner and you know you're firing this guy in 4 weeks you just say no and suck it up.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Williams should be given a medal and put in the Jets ring of honor if we get Lawrence.

13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Imagine Williams rushes 3, plays 8 back, and Carr hits a hail mary. Numb-skulls would be calling for his firing cuz he didn't blitz.

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Gregg Williams kept a defense with no NFL corners, 1 good linebacker, no pass rush and 1 safety, in almost every game

apjbfc, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 7 others like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Williams avoids being the 1st coordinator to go 0-16 twice. 0-16 and 0-12 though is still pretty bad

SOJAZ and alleycat9 like this.
  16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is like firing the 1st Mate after the Titanic hit the iceberg.

I doubt it'll happen, but they should be announcing Gase's firing this morning (afternoon).

88toon, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 5 others like this.
  18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

In my opinion you nailed it. No one can claim that Gase isn't trying to win - he's just totally incompetent. That means that the Johnsons firing him during the season would be a complete admission that they were stupid in hiring him, and they can't bring themselves to do it (doing it after the season feels like every other coach getting fired after a bad season in their minds, so they won't be exposed as being as stupid as we all know they are).

As far as Williams goes, I see only 4 options for why he called that play:
    (1) He genuinely believed it was the right call. I will never believe that this is true, since it is totally without precedent for at least the last 15 years.
    (2) He was deliberately trying to lose on orders from management. Since most conspiracy theories are complete and utter bullshit, I don't believe that either.
    (3) He was deliberately trying to lose because he wanted to stick it to Gase, a person he despises. I can very easily believe that, and that requires him to be fired immediately.
    (4) He was so checked out on the season that he called the play just for shits and giggles. As tanking fans we might say "Good for him," but imagine just how corrosive that would be for players who are actually trying. Being that obvious that you don't give a damn pretty much requires him to be fired also.

Thus, what I think is that he wanted to be gone, and deliberately made the call to encourage it. That just reinforces what an egotistical jerk he is. If there is any justice he'll never get another NFL job. I am not at all dismissing the possibility that he had a massive run-in with Gase this morning either, but that would just be him following up on points (3) and (4), recognizing that he had no hope of defending the decision. This way he doesn't have to try.

FYI, like you I laughed hysterically when the Jets lost the game, and certainly think the Jets getting the #1 pick is way more important than them not going 0-16. I just think having no reaction to this kind of idiocy would look so bad for the organization that they had to react.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Who the hell coaches this team if we fire Gase too

apjbfc likes this.
  20. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's closer to #4. I don't know if he wanted to be gone, and there's nothing concrete showing that he wanted to stick it to Gase. I think he figured that he's going to be fired regardless of what happens, so fuck it. Call that blitz and if it works, great, if not it doesn't matter. What he didn't consider would be the backlash to the call, even though most pretty much know the Jets are tanking at this point, meaning he's now hurt his chances for landing a job next season.

I like conspiracy theories but I can't imagine the front office called that play or ordered Williams to call that cover-0. If they did...why fire him? If it was part of some grand design they'd probably allow him to resign.