Boomer Esiason suggesting Cowher as the Jets next HC.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Dec 7, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want that, this is a new nfl. If you want to see 3 runs up the gut like gase hes your guy

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I doubt it will happen. I also doubt it would work out if it did. Great coaches of yesteryear seem to have a very bad track record when they get back into the game after a hiatus from coaching; Jimmy Johnson, George Seifert, and Mike Ditka, to name a few, were all only about 2 to 5 years removed from the game, and all three ranged from disastrous to mediocre at best. Cowher hasn't been on the sidelines in almost 15 years. The game he knew has changed. Granted, he knows that, but could he put it into practice? I dunno.

Arthur Smith is still my top choice.

boozer32, hornblower and phubbadaman like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I’m not seeing this

I do think he would be the disciplinarian type guy, but to be honest, that’s really not our problem. For all of Gase’s faults, losing the team, finger pointing, lack of effort, and bad attitudes are really not on our list of issues.

for us, it’s more about overall lack of talent and lack of creativity in the playcalling, and the inability to coach up our players to their potential.

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Agree with you on Bill coaching the Jets. To much time has passed. If the Jets hired him as a consultant I could be on board with that. He is a big name and knows the league. While he hasn't coached in a long time he has been involved with the league this whole time working for CBS.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Cowher hasn't coached in 14 years. Would be a typical Jets move.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cowher, a Head Coach who could care less about Quarterbacks, to Coach a young Lawrence or Fields? Hard pass.

NCJetsfan and hornblower like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not to mention his rough and rugged style might not exactly sit well with the modern day NFL player. As generations have turned over, coaches can still be disciplinarians but they need to be a bit more sensitive that they used to be and communicate somewhat differently than they used to.

Joe Judge is a good example. A hard ass making guys run laps for very minor infractions but also diving in the mud with them and what not. I couldn't see Cowher doing that.

It's also only year three of his ten year deal but the Raiders Gruden experiment isn't exactly a smashing success even if they do appear to be building something the right way.

zace likes this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d take him in a heartbeat. I don’t know how it will work out but I also don’t know how any coordinator hire would work out either.

Rather take my chances with a HOF coach than an unknown coordinator.

10. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

It’s funny, when I first signed up (as a bit of a troll too) I wanted him really badly, but we ended up with Rex.

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I am not weighing yeah or nay.
    But if Cowher would take the job, you can guarantee he is going to have Coordinators running the units and calling plays, and he would just be managing the overall game plan which is not necessarily be a bad thing if he could attract some good young minds to fill those shoes.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cowher is not that type. He was a player's coach in Pittsburgh. He has a reputation as rough and rugged with the media, or possibly because of the blue collar style his teams took on. But in that locker room he was not a disciplinarian type.

13. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Cowher has been rumored to be a potential Jets coach for like the past 10 years lol

14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

In the past Boomer would always shoot the rumor down saying he has no interest in returning to coaching. Today he hinted that the Jets job is intriguing to him.

SixDemonBag likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Don't want an old out of date coach again. no thanks.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I say yes ...or at least have him on Board in some capacity

It's Unknown coordinator, rookie HC vs Super Bowl HC

Was same feeling with M McCarthy

I dont think Boomer does his rep any favors floating a rumor like that so it could be a happening

Plus Cowher has coached up arguably some of the best QBs in recent NFL history: Kordell Stewart
    Neil Odonnel both of whom won either AFC or Lombardi Championship

Cowher would be hard pressed to screw up Trevor Lawrence imo

#16 NYJetsO12, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Might as well bring in Tom Coughlin and Bill Parcells.

roboz08 likes this.
  18. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

On top of this, you have to figure that there is no way Boomer would float this on the radio unless there's actually some truth to it, and Cowher gave him the go ahead.

That said, I could go either way on him. Definitely an intriguing option, if real, though.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Cowher would jump immediately to the top of my list. Yes, it's been 14 years since he coached, but you don't forget how to do that, and he would be hiring coordinators that would do most of the hands on stuff anyway. He's forgotten more about football than the entire Jets organization (with the exception of Douglas) knows.

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

If you’re gonna be a hard ass like Judge you gotta show that side that he will fight in the trenches too, not be a dictator of sorts. The giants suddenly are one of the hotter teams in the league with a tough defense.