2020 NFL Week 13: Las Vegas Raiders @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 29, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

I believe that too. I believe GW told him them not to bail pre snap. They are rookies. Of course they are going to listen. Now if GW told him to jump the route then I would say that does get into the integrity of the game. If not, the player is on the field, and has to understand how to play the route... especially being at a speed disadvantage.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'm like half amused and half feeling dirty about that finish, that was the most overt example of a tank I've ever seen on the field.

4. NYJFan10

That's why I'm so dumbfounded...but how else do you explain those last TWO calls? Remember the play before they had single coverage downfield too for no reason and should have got beat for a TD but Carr overthrew the guy. You don't ever have single coverage in that situation unless it's Darrelle Revis in his prime...maybe.

Clearly Williams took a dive, because even with the big dick syndrome he's capable of NO coach makes those back-to-back single coverage calls on a Hail Mary with fifteen seconds left, I don't care if it's Buddy, Rex or any other non-Ryan coach.

And I don't actually think Gase is in on it, that was all bully boy Gregg's work.

5. NYJFan10

And who called the play to put a rookie practice squad CB in that situation with a first-round draft pick that has Tyreek Hill speed? Blame the minimum salary rookie if you want, there's absolutely no reason for any kind of single coverage call in that situation, much less an all-out blitz single coverage - and from a veteran coach no less.

If it was an honest call that was the dumbest call I've seen by anyone anywhere since Beastmode went idle in the Super Bowl on the one foot line, and I don't actually think Gregg is that stupid.

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

50 years ago this exact day the Jets lost the same exact way to the Raiders at Shea. A bomb into the end zone on the last play ( not a Hail Mary ). Unbelievable .....

7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Maye ripped GW

not sure how I feel about that

he’s not wrong but still gotta take the high road

b.reyes16 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Greg Williams would ever be happy with 0-16 or intentionally try to lose. The only possible motivation I can see for him intentionally trying to lose would be if he hates Gase more than he hates losing, and just wants to stick it to Gase and saddle him with 0-16.

9. NYJFan10

Screw that, when there's even an appearance of upper management trying to tank then it goes beyond the whole protocol of not criticizing your bosses in print. Players are giving their bodies out there in a hopeless cause trying to get 'a' win, and they get undermined by THAT?!

88toon likes this.
  10. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Williams wants to coach after the Jets (and who knows maybe he gets retained after this year) he also knows his employer wants Trevor Lawrence. He's going to do what he needs to do to keep his employer happy. If he defended that in a way as it's always been defended in NFL history then that will actually hurt Williams going forward. If you know your boss wants x and you behave to ensure y happens...other teams will see this and remember.

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Oakland needed a 1st down to continue the drive. I forget what yardage was need but it was something like 4th and 8. Therefore Jackson had to guard against the most obvious play of first down yardage. Williams gambled with an all out blitz hoping for either a sack or Carr having only enough time for a short throw. But Oakland picked up the blitz beautifully and Carr made the perfect move by stepping up in the pocket allowing Ruggs to get deep and passed Jackson who correctly went for the first move. Jackson shouldn't be held responsible for the failure of the Jets D to get to Carr to prevent a long throw. I think Williams called the right defensive play, but credit Oakland for picking it up.

#131 westiedog1, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    jets_fan and Noam like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! The players wouldn't be playing so hard if they were tanking. Players are not going to buy into a tank, nor is a CS. That's why the whole idea that the Jets are officially tanking is so darned absurd and ridiculous. Some poster's attempts at logic and reasoning are sad. This team under Gase is just this bad. He's been trying to win. Williams has been trying to win. Part of the losing is the lack of topnotch talent, and the rest is piss-poor coaching, play calling and roster decisions by Gase and his CS. Douglas is just sitting back laughing knowing this will show the Johnsons how inept they are. As a result, it should give him more power and control, and with all the cap space and draft picks he has, when combined with a top 2 pick, he knows that he can turn this around quickly if he gets to hire the new HC or have the main input on the decision.

13. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Has this kind of defense ever been called in the NFL's history of these kind of hail mary situations?

No

NYJFan10 likes this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

This was not a Hail Mary situation.

jets_fan likes this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Receivers aren't typically running double moves on hail mary plays.

Short of what actually happened, the ideal situation for the Raiders would have been to get a quick first down and get out of bounds to set up a final shot at the end zone for Carr.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

CC, don't often disagree with you but, he call an zero blitz package and left a rookie in single coverage... if nothing else he should have had a two deep safety look... I mean the rookie made a mistake by planting his feet, he was beat right there but if he had help over the top they may not have scored

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Carr had not been accurate deep when under pressure all day. The previous play he rushed and overthrew his receiver by a lot. OTOH, he had been completing everything short regardless of the coverage. I think Williams was trying to take away the short pass that would've given them a 1st down and at least two more shots at the EZ, and figured Carr wouldn't be able to hit his deep receivers even in 1 on 1 coverage. Had Jackson played softer, he breaks up that pass. It was a gamble by GW, but I think a decent one.

NCJetsfan, westiedog1 and Jets69 like this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

H. Ruggs III

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Been questioning his arm strength from the beginning, He’s never really shown a good deep ball. It’s not piling on, it’s the truth.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s been the concern all along.

Some people swear they’re done after this season, but they seem pretty laid back considering the situation.