Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting Cimini Podcast. Curtis Martin is a guest.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...sodeGuid=150d2b4a-aa77-11ea-b4b0-4b243539f212

Cimini said disputes the notion that Gase and Douglas had been buddies for years and that's why Douglas took the job. He says that he thinks Douglas was hesitant to take the job because Gase was the HC. He said that Gase drove to South Jersey near Philadelphia, knocked on Douglas' door and begged Douglas to take the job, and Douglas did after the Jets sweetened the offer.

Since 2000 Gase has the 14th worst winning percentage. Over the last 10 years Gase has the 6th worst winning percentage. Since 2000 has the 4th worst point differential of an coach with one team.

Over the last 10 years, the Jets are 30th in terms of targeting the TE, and are 31st in TE receptions, only a few ahead of the Cardinals.

On the issues of who is worse, Gase or Kotite, Kotites average margin of defeat was 10.1 points and Gase's is 9.4.

With regards to Darnold, he said that there are some people around the NFL who think that Darnold would flourish in SF in Shanahan's offense. If true, and if Shanahan thinks that way, SF could be a big player for Darnold in the offseason. Keep your fingers crossed. That would be perfect for Sam to go home to CA.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I can’t stress enough that our new HC has to be hired based on our draft position. If we actually get 1 overall and we take Lawrence the HC needs to be one to play to the strengths of Trevor Lawrence. A strong arm QB with mobility and high end awareness. Bieniemy, Perderson any Andy Reid type west coast offence candidates make sense.

If we get 2nd overall and JD sticks with Darnold he needs to be completely rebuilt. Jim Harbaugh is the prime candidate because he’s done this before with Alex Smith and has a track record of actually accomplishing this.

If we get 2nd and take Fields then I think a few options are open here. Lincoln Riley my top choice, Arthur Smith, Joe Brady, Wink Martindale/Rex Ryan and hire a top OC.

I’m tired of trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. We need to hire a coach who plays to the strengths of our QB and build around him from the inside out.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Since1969, Centiment and alleycat9 like this.
  5. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

What is it the chance that Gase is retained for next year? Cos from the post wrote an article outlining that the last 2 teams that went 0-16 didn’t fire their coach for the following season. He thinks Gase might be back delaying the rebuilding process back to relevance. How is the he fanbase going to take this? I will have a hard time sticking around, that’s for sure

6. NCJetsfan

That's not going to happen. Douglas isn't stupid even if the Johnsons are, and I don't think that even they are that stupid. On his most recent podcast, Cimini said that he has heard from reliable sources that Gase is gone.

Red Menace and Jets1035 like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i pray that is true

but I fear that the Johnsons are stupid enough to make it not true

alleycat9, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gase just admitted that he has failed Sam:

That's it. If Christopher Johnson somehow did not figure it out, he knows now from the actual man's mouth.

No worries, @Jets79. Gase will be gone.

Jets79, NCJetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails, Centiment and K'OB like this.
  10. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Hope Woody reads a posh newspaper !

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a new take on Gase's role in Douglas coming here, and to me makes much more sense. There were no reports of Gase and Douglas being anything more than co-workers in Chicago, and frankly, if you believe that Douglas is smart and a good judge of talent, it doesn't make sense that he thinks Gase is a good HC.

12. ColoradoContrails

NCJetsfan and Centiment like this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just saw the headlines.

That's it for Gase folks. I don't think there's any doubt now he is gone.

Gase did the right thing in trying to save Darnold's career, realizing his own career is probably over.

14. NCJetsfan

That is a great and accurate article, but man, I hate for someone (even Gase) to get laid low like that in the media. Perhaps it is deserved and what it will take to wake Woody and Chris Johnson up, but I can't help but feel sorry for Adam Gase. His dream of being an NFL HC is gone. His career in the NFL is probably over. He may not even be able to get a job coaching high school or Pop Warner. He's still a young man. He has a child or children. How embarrassing for him and his family. It's a shame that it had to come to this. In trying to be "nice" (if that's what it truly is rather than just stupidity), the Johnsons have actually exposed him to more ridicule and embarrassment, rather than less.

I hope that he's gone from the Jets, and for his sake, I hope that he will learn some lessons from this, and he will be able to find some job or career that he can do well. I hope that he will learn to take responsibility for his actions and words, and not throw others under the bus and deflect. Perhaps admitting that he has failed Sam is a first step.

15. ColoradoContrails

It's good that you're able to have some sympathy for Gase, but you're a better man than I am. I think Gase deserves every bit of this. After all, no one twisted his arm to come here. Moreover, how many careers has he ruined or negatively affected because he's in far over his head? Finally, he has demonstrated a massive ego, and even before the Greeks coined a word for it, this has always been the prime ingredient in the ancient dish of "crow".

16. NCJetsfan

Yes, he deserves it and brought most of it on himself, but we all make mistakes and usually we aren't embarrassed or embarrass ourselves in front of millions of people. I don't think he intentionally took a job where he knew he would be in over his head. I think his ego wrote checks his talent and butt simply couldn't cash. Ego many times is a mask or a front for massive insecurity. I was actually surprised to see him admit today that he had failed Sam. Usually people who are so insecure deflect and blame others and never can admit their failings. This shows that there's at least some hope for him as a human being and man, if not as a football coach.

I've also see it posited by a poster or two who thinks he may be autistic or have a touch of Aspergers. If they're correct, then he can't help some of his behavior.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

"Hi, I'm Mr. Gase, your new gym teacher."

18. ColoradoContrails

Even if he is afflicted by some sort of deficit, he's still responsible for the choices he makes, unless he's declared legally incompetent (which isn't the same as being incompetent as a coach). And he chose to go into a profession where he knew he'd be under the spotlight, moreover, he chose to come to the brightest spotlight in the world. We are all accountable for our choices.

And form my perspective, this isn't the bloodiest hatchet job I've ever read, there's very little overstatement in it.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Going into the season he was a lame duck coach and nothing has changed. Why fire him now? It only makes sense at the end of the season so we get a better chance at Lawrence. If we fire him and give Williams the temporary duties they could get fired up and win a few games and we’ll be seeing threads “Hire Greg Williams” and I’ll want to vomit from ineptitude. They are doing what needs to be done to give us a chance at Trevor Lawrence

apjbfc likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I agree that we're responsible for our choices, and deficit or not, he's an adult and made choices, so he must be held accountable for them. I don't really think it's a hatchet job, although the author didn't pull any punches, either. I think it was just bluntly honest and accurate. Still, I have compassion for him as one human being for another. Put yourself in his place. Say you did what you thought was right, did the best you could, made mistakes, realized that you were in over your head perhaps, and knew that you had failed. That's bad enough, but today's article and the others that I'm sure will follow before he gets fired, make it much harder and more embarrassing. If he hadn't admitted that he had failed Sam, perhaps I wouldn't feel as much compassion for him as I do, but I've been fired before a couple of times due to mistakes I made and it wasn't fun or easy to deal with. It can make him a stronger, better person if he will allow it to.

I think it would have been better for Gase if he had been fired before anyone wrote an article like this. As Cimini said in is podcast, if fans had been allowed at games this year, there would have been massive booing, there already was a protest outside of Jets HQs, there have been petitions circulated, and I've been surprised that there haven't been any billboards or banners flying behind airplanes, and I think Gase would have been fired earlier. While getting fired during a season is embarrassing, I think all those things and articles like today's make it worse for him. It's also made it worse for us. We'd have all rested easier and been much happier if Gase was fired a month or two ago, if not at the end of last season, or better still, never hired in the first place.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.