Darnold: Fair market value

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Nov 30, 2020.

?

What is Darnold's realistic trade value?

1. 1st Rounder

6.7%
  2. 2nd Rounder

24.7%
  3. 3rd Rounder

25.8%
  4. 4th Rounder

28.1%
  5. 5th Rounder and below

14.6%
  1. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I vote 3rd with a conditional 5th.

2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I don't see us getting better than a 4th for him.

He can't stay on the field and he's regressed considerably over the past two seasons. The only way I could see that compensation climbing higher is if someone looks at Ryan Tannehill and the various other players who have flourished post-Gase and somehow convince themselves they can do the same thing with Darnold.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam is still only 23. #3 overall pick. Been on a team with a bad roster and bad coaching for 3 seasons. He has gained NFL experience so he is ahead of any young QB coming out of the draft. 2020 has been a bad year but he did do some nice things in 2018 and 2019. It is interesting everyone here has seemed to forget that.

I think a late 1st Round Pick or 2nd Rounder is still in play. A team like the Steelers with Ben Roethlisberger or the Saints with Drew Brees or the Colts with Philip Rivers or Buccaneers with Tom Brady. The 49ers, Bears, Panthers, and Vikings all seem like options to me too. You don't think one of them would give up a 1st or 2nd for Sam? One of them will and it will be a bargain for them.

rscherwin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As usual, Jets fans eat their young. Darnold is 23 and it's widely known that he's been in a shit situation since he came into the league so teams that need a QB - and especially teams that aren't going to be drafting in the top 5 , might well love to have a chance to resurrect him. On a good team, with good coaching, I still think he can win. With that in mind I think a 2nd rounder plus maybe a conditional mid to low 2022 pick.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If you asked me before the Miami game I would have said a 2 and and change. But, the more he plays poorly the more he hurts his value. His 1st year and parts of last year he showed great pocket presence but as he has taken hits his mechanics have fallen apart. It appears he still has a strong following and his potential is still very high in a more flexible QB friendly system that allows him to make his reads much easier.

In a system that actually protects the QB from free blitzers he can thrive. When Darnold has had time he has shown great pocket presence but as he has taken hits you can see his mechanics and discipline have broken down. He gets nervous, shuffles his feet, hesitates, runs too early, tries to do to much forcing bad throws and fails to not set his feet. I wonder if he is salvageable or if he has just taken too many hits. Confidence for a QB means everything and right now he does not have it. I don't think playing him will bring that back or help his value. Rather, playing him will likely hurt both.

Darnold needs to sit behind an established QB for a year or two. NO or Pitt would be ideal. Chicago would want him to play too soon. He needs time to heal from the damage Gase has done to him. Indy might be a really good fit for him to sit behind Rivers for a year. But continuing to play him could result in his play really bottoming out. There is no reason to play him. Nor is there a reason to play Flacco. Morgan is too raw to play and we do not need Gase destroying another QB. Mike White is the answer. Let White use the last 4 or 5 games to audition for next year's backup role.

6. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If the Jets are fortunate enough to get offered a 3rd Rounder in exchange for Darnold, they should take it and run. His inability to eliminate rookie errors at this point of his career make him more of a liability than anything else. Also, what will he be looking for in his next contract? I guess beggars can't be choosers at this point.

REVISion likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Whoever voted first rounder needs to be banned from the forums immediately.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's probably at best a 3rd round pick. That could escalate to a second if a couple of teams decide they think they can "fix" Sam and seek to trade for him. If only one team has interest, we might be lucky to get a 4th round pick.

chandler likes this.
  9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I’ll put my money on it being Greenday4537 or BrooklynJetsFan

Jonathan_Vilma and REVISion like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

First, JD is NOT a push over when ti comes to trading down or trading players. If JD don't like the offer, he hangs up. He's had several changes to trade away GOOD players or GOOD draft picks and hes more likely to pass on the trade and just keep the players or the draft spot and say "They weren't offering enough value".

So it really doesn't matter what team x y z would offer, all that matter is what Joe will accept. And for a young FQB that just needs a fresh opportunity? 2 first rounds will be in his head. Or JD will be just as happy to keep Sam on the club for another year.

11. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

i think everyones in the heat of the moment right now. but come this offseason, when clearer minds prevail, some gm's who were in love with sam, and there were a lot of them, will realize how screwed he was here with the jets. plus he'll be what? 23 years old? we'll definitely get a 2nd maybe even a late 1st for him. way too much talent for a smart team like the steelers to pass on.

Noam, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How would a guy with Darnold's performance this year net a second round pick? After three years in the league and accomplishing virtually nothing in his career?

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I went with 3rd rounder more because of the demand for QBs than anything Darnold has shown. Denver brought up a guy who played wide receiver to start yesterday. I could see a team who watched the Jets' clown show for the last 3 years believing they can salvage Darnold and risk a 3 to try.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

There was a lot of talk that he could net us a first or second rounder but given how bad he's played, I would be shocked if we got anything more than a 4th or 3rd for him. Would think the colts, saints, 49ers, steelers would be the most interested teams.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The age excuse is worn out. Him coming out at a young age has higher expectations and he knows that. He doesn’t get a pass for more years just because he decided to come out early. It makes 0 sense to waste extra years on someone just because of their age imo. No team in their right mind is bringing him in and handing him a starting job. His best shot will be a backup for a year or two and hope that they retire or get injured and he gets another chance.

matt robinson 17 and grkmanga31 like this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I've been saying that for a while but to also sign him to a new two year contract for about 10 - 12 million a year to retain the asset, especially if a new staff could build his value.

17. Ralebird

Headline: "QB HANGS SELF!"

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. Ralebird

My money's on Dark Knight.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Our best chance to get more than a 3rd rounder for him is to draft Trevor Lawrence and let Darnold play to the bye next season. It's possible he will be playing well enough at that point for somebody that needs a QB to be willing to trade real value for him for exclusive negotiating rights before free agency.

If he's playing well at mid-season a team that needs a QB and has no long-term options available may well see Darnold as worth the price.

twown likes this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I bet the Jets will give us a 2nd for him. Suckers.

Wait...

ConcordeChops likes this.