Zach Wilson better than Lawrence?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Nov 29, 2020.

1. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Either or, just not Fields. Name me one Buckeye QB that has been an NFL success.

2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

When was the last time a True Freshman shredded Alabama or another team for the National Championship ?

NCJetsfan and b.reyes16 like this.
  3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

After today, I'm open to taking any of the top 3 quarterbacks available in the order most people have them: Lawrence, Fields, Wilson. Honestly, by the time the draft comes I might push Wilson above Fields. It really bothers me that he hasn't been tested very much at all--and from watching QB1 some time ago, he's pretty damn arrogant.

Though to be fair, I'd probably have been rather arrogant too if I was the #1 recruit in the country and featured on a reality show about it at 17.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There seems to be confusion in this thread about the difference between two different statements.

The initial question posed
    -Is Zach Wilson a better prospect than Trevor Lawrence?

...Seems to be confused with
    -Could Zach Wilson end up being a better pro QB than Trevor Lawrence?

The answer to the first question is No. the answer to the second question is Yes. If you have the #1 Pick, you take Trevor Lawrence and that’s all there is to it.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

BYU and Wilson have beaten teams that are a combined 31-37 (excluding whatever the hell North Alabama's record is). They've played zero power 5 teams.

Three of their nine wins have come against winning teams.
    UTSA at 7-4
    Louisiana Tech at 4-3
    Boise State at 4-1

Clemson's opponents combined record is 39-31 and they've played 4 teams over .500 below
    Boston College 6-4
    Notre Dame 9-0
    Wake Forest 4-3
    Miami 7-1

@Brook! @Cman65 can we move this into the draft forum? This will get lost in the NCAA forum and it's about two prospects.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If we have #1, we take Lawrence. That's the long and short of it.

If we win a game or two and drop, we will probably end up with Fields or Wilson.

If another team in the top 5-7 wants Fields, I'd def consider trading down, taking Wilson, and acquiring some more draft capital to help build around him.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, if we are at #1, we take Lawrence and don't look back.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Agreed, the idea of sticking with Sam should be out the window after yesterday's game.

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

It's so close. And he's ours if we don't eff it up. Like, they can ensure he's a Jet right now if they don't play stupid games with trying to win to save face. There's literally nothing the rest of the league can do if the Jets decide they want Lawrence above all else.

Which is why I'm going to be completely despondent when they screw it up. I can feel it already.

[​IMG]

REVISion likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Please quit making with those negative waves. It's going to happen. We're going to finish 0-16 and draft Trevor Lawrence!!!! BELIEVE!!!

NYJetsO12, Brook! and Snatch Catch like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@ColoradoContrails - BYU is playing one of the best Group of 5 teams on Saturday after a Covid-19 cancellation and last second reschedule on Saturday.

This will be the best team they've played this year and a quality defense (13 out of 127 in points against). Should be a good game and a decent measuring stick for Wilson.

BYU needs to showcase themselves to try to jump up in the rankings.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Wilson is not better than Lawrence right now, Lawrence has 3 full seasons under his belt and has played at a very high level against really good competition.

If Jets have number one pick I would love it if they drafted him.

Wilson is however a very mechanically sound QB, footwork, accuracy, touch, release and in my opinion he is better than Justin Fields, because his game can translate to the NFL.

I’m not down on Fields because of one bad game, it’s how bad he looked while turning the ball over, the young man literally threw the ball up in the air instead of just tacking the sacks.

The interception he threw against a cover 2 defense was just a bad read and terribly late. He should have seen that defense the moment he walked up to the LOS. What’s going to happen when he faces good defenses on a consistent basis?

That just my 2 cents, I’ll take Lawrence, Wilson and that’s it, won’t touch Fields.

I also like the BYU WR, Dax Milnes, guy is a baller, hopefully Jets can pick him up as well in later round.

#52 Red Menace, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Snatch Catch

Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson? Everybody out on Trey Lance after that bizarre showcase game, or were you never in on him to begin with?

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Lance seems raw and might have to sit a year if he is to succeed in the NFL. The upside is through the roof though. I can see the Bears, 49ers, Saints, and Steelers going after him.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Lance is the ultimate boom or bust pick. He could be Watson ceiling or out of the league bust within 5 years. I usually like boom or bust prospects but he’s tough even for me to gamble on... I’m not sold on Wilson or Fields either. I think all 3 prospects have potential but if expected to start right away they could get ruined pretty quick. Now, if these 3 amigos can sit behind a vet for a year or two then maybe they could pan out. Lawrence is the only QB that is pro ready in my opinion and that not only can start day 1 but should start day 1.

16. The thing w Lawrence is how quickly he goes through progressions,makes the correct read & delivers an accurate ball to all 3 levels often w anticipation. And these are on non scripted plays. Im not sure how much a surrounding cast has to do w that aspect of his game but its extremely rare, very valuable & very difficult for defenses to stop.

Thats the part of his game that makes him so elite.When you add in he’s a 6”6 athletic alpha..its hard to put anyone above him

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You give me hope Kurt. You give me hope. But hope is dangerous, hope is poisonous. If Jets don't get pick #1, I will go crazy.

REVISion and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. Snatch Catch

It seems like there is a strong anti-Fields sentiment here, that is - there is not a meaningful difference between Fields and Wilson (or Lance).

So, if the Jets end up with the 2nd pick in the draft, would people like it if they traded the pick to a team still in the top 10, got a bunch of additional assets, and then took WIlson or Lance?

Fields

OR

Wilson/Lance and additional assets

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We cant distract from our goal of TL with Consolation prizes like a BYU QB

Trevor is more of a physical beast as well ..this kid will get hurt imo

20. Snatch Catch

Lawrence's frame actually gives me concern. Not "don't draft him" concern, but just worry about his durability at 6'6", 220. By contrast Fields is 6'3" 228.

Wilson is only 10 lbs lighter than Lawrence despite being 3 inches shorter, at 6'3", 210.

Historical true "physical beast" contrast, Roethlisberger was 6'5", 241 before he was drafted.

I have confidence that Lawrence will fill out more, but I wouldn't call him a physical beast in the context of being less prone to injury.

NYJetsO12 likes this.