Darnold - Slow processor. Low football IQ. What the loss to Miami shows

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If a team trades for Darnold the first thing they need to do is to sign him to a new contract - they can probably get years four and five for what the option would cost just for the fifth year. No one is going to lock him into a 25 million dollar year. Of course the Jets could do the same thing and probably should; his trade value could increase in a year if he benefits from some decent coaching. As much as fans would like Lawrence, Fields or Wilson, etc. to be ready to go for game one no draftee comes with any guarantees. That keeps Darnold around to cover that or injury situations.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

To be fair, that almost TD to Mims was a catchable ball...really a 50/50 ball, and if Mims catches it ...

shoulda coulda woulda

to me, I’ve been wanting to root for Sam...I’m in LA, ive got two kids at USC...but today I just lost all faith in him. He okayed like utter and total shit. 3 points. 2 dumb picks, like many dumb throws he’s made too many times this year. No TDs, even with two turnovers given to him. The OL was not great by any means, but it wasn’t as bad as it’s been. We had a decent running game. The receivers helped him...again, they may not be great, but with Mims, Perriman, and Crowder all playing, they’re not the terrible wasteland we’ve been trotting out there. 3 points is inexcusable.

stinkyB and ukjetsfan like this.
  3. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

Sam doesn’t lack talent, he lacks Moxie. The “ghosts” did not help. I think it rattled him. I’m not sure he will elevate beyond a game manager because of it.

That Moxie is one of those things, and you need it to develop the persona to be the true team leader.

Josh Allen is a good example of this. He believes he is it, he is the one. He wants to win and will do his best to make it happen. That attitude rubs off on surrounding players. This can go awry you can try too hard, you can make mistakes, go for things you don’t have the talent for. That was Fitzpatrick, he had the locker room, he had the win attitude but he never was the most gifted athletically but it was good enough to at least prove successful.

Right now it seems Baker Mayfield is coming back around. I think early on he had the “I’m the one” mentality and it started to slip, but as the team improved he seems to have at least gotten himself back to being convinced he can be the one.

Sam is in the spot where he may say he will try but he doesn’t exude that confidence in himself. It may never work for the Jets and you will never know under Gase. It’s going to take a regime change at the very least and most likely a team change before anyone will ever know for sure.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought this game was very telling. Even on the improvised rollouts, where he used to quite regularly deliver accurate passes downfield, he was off. He made some nice throws early on, but just disappeared as the game progressed. He had some solid receivers out there, but he missed some throws that you shouldn't miss.

I have no doubts now that he will never be the quarterback we need. He looks like he may stick as a backup somewhere, or maybe a lower-tier starter, but it can't be here. Whatever the actual reasons for this are, he's done in New York. I sat watching him with no excitement yesterday, just a sense of waiting for him to screw up, which he duly did. I've had enough of watching Jets quarterbacks do that. Time to move on.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

They could have lightening bolts that hit Chris & Woody :mad:

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Darnold- rinse and repeat, one good pass, one bad pass, one nice throw, one bad Interception, he can't even get to 200 yds passing in a game.....at this point he's cooked

HomeoftheJets, zace, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We’ve got a lot of rookies on the field. Those guys are going full speed no matter what the record says and who’s calling the plays, and I’m thrilled by that. They’re the only ones worth watching the rest of the way and they’re putting on a pretty good show.

I’ll be happy if we end up in position to draft Lawrence. I’ll be happier if we managed to find 3-5 good to very good starters from our GM’s first draft.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would be pissed if my team gave up a 2nd for Darnold.

zace, REVISion, Red Menace and 6 others like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Are people still really this delusional?

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

year 3 and he's still rolling out and throwing the ball across his body like a dumbass rookie.

Darnold hasn't thrown a touchdown pass since September. Tommorrow is December

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

That play was vintage Stephen Hill... luckily the result was the same : )

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It looked like a drop at full speed but on the replay #25 got his hand on the ball and made enough contact to prevent Mims from holding onto his bobble......

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

To anyone actually paying attention, it was clear after last season that Sam wasn't the guy.

Every game this season has just been more and more evidence confirming that. The Darnold defenders have had to twist themselves into increasingly convoluted knots to try to explain his bad play. The guy is just not good. It says a lot that Flacco has performed far better than Sam when he's had the chance to play this year. Flacco is not a good QB but was a decent one during his prime. Sam is just not good.

Before this most recent game the excuse was "let's see how Sam does with all his receivers healthy". What's the excuse now? Sam has more than twice as many INT's as TD's this season. He's averaging below 200 yards per game this season. He has the third-worst completion % in the NFL while also putting up among the least yards per game.

I'm so tired of the endless carousel of excuses. The smart posters here have been saying forever that better receivers won't stop Sam from throwing dumb interceptions. Watch the games. His problems aren't fixable by coaches or better receivers. The guy sucks. Get over it.

#73 REVISion, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't think the argument should be about if Sam is good enough or if he has potential or any of that anymore. I think he does, but it is irrelevant. The Jets are (0-11). They need to fire Adam Gase and the entire coaching staff. 2021 they will have a prime Draft pick to select Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields or any other QB of the new Head Coach's and Joe Douglas' choice. It is time to start fresh. Not just for the Jets, but for Sam himself.

I'll be honest with you guys though: Yesterday's game got me down afterwards, because I had to face that reality. I really thought Sam would be the answer for this franchise, and due to many factors, it turns out he will not be. That is truly unfortunate.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m kind of in this boat as well....

I had hope, and maybe Sam would be better with better coaching and a better team around him, but this game to me was a watershed game.

he had real receivers yesterday....not pro bowlers for sure but decent players. I don’t really understand where the TEs have gone....Herndon sucks this year, but still. The OL was not great by any means, but it wasn’t the sieve that it’s been. And the Dolphins are not the 1985 Bears.

he should have shown up better. The two picks were brutal, not only stupid decisions, but that first one was the same decision we’ve seen over and over and over....throwing it up for grabs when running for his life. How many post game pressers do we need to hear him say he needs to make better decisions....yeah no shit.

I think he’s toast here, and maybe the only real chance to salvage his career is on another team.

yesterday ... I expected better...and he shit the bed.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Apparently they are. Even when they won all those games last season, darnold didnt exactly light it up.

Its the mechanics theyre just bad and causes him to be wildly inaccurate

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It just doesn't look like he is going through progressions when he hits his back foot as he constantly looks like he has no idea where the ball should go. I'm not sure if this is a pre-snap issue or post snap issue. But when Flacco was in there, he looked pretty calm in terms of figuring out where the ball should go.

I also have to believe now that Darnold contributes to what seems to be a poor offensive line. Either he doesn't help them determine pressures or he reads it wrong and slides them the wrong way. Because the offensive line looks a lot better with a veteran QB making those calls.

Holding on to the ball for an eternity also doesn't help. And lastly, as I think @ukjetsfan pointed out in another thread - he does not make good plays with his arm when he improvises. This was the golden commodity that got him drafted where he was. You expected a bad decision or two a game (even if it didn't always end up in a turnover). You also expected 3-4 scramble plays with good turnouts that were special QB plays. Those are now non-existent.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The offense looked competent with Flacco. Hate to say it, but it's an indictment on Sam that he led them to 3 points yesterday after they scored 27 and 28(26 because of the intentional safety) in the previous two games.

#78 CotcheryFan, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

phubbadaman likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Well said by Cosell.

This whole "bad coaching" excuse for Sam drives me insane. It assumes that fixing any QB's flaws is as simple as telling them not to do the bad things. If it were that easy don't you think every team would have a good QB? NFL QB's have, by and large, been playing football for 15+ years of their lives at an absolute minimum. You think Sam doesn't know he's not supposed to throw off his back foot and chuck the ball up for grabs when he's pressured? Of course he knows, he just can't help it! Football in the NFL happens very quickly. Sam does not process the game quickly enough to be a good QB. He consistently makes bad decisions when he doesn't have someone wide open or is under any kind of duress.

zace and matt robinson 17 like this.