Darnold - Slow processor. Low football IQ. What the loss to Miami shows

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

The football gods know hes on the Jets and thats all they need.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

yeah, but Rosen was traded with three years left on his rookie deal. If you trade for Sam, you’ll be paying him 25mm for the 5th year option in 2022. I don’t see Sam bringing back anything over a 4th, period given that he’s already played 3 years. But hopefully that analysis is right. Just don’t see it especially with the cap at 175 likely post COVID.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Huh?

What Is more likely...

One of the greatest QB's to ever play the game, made the OC better.

Or..

The OC made one of the greatest QB's of all-time better?

I'm sure Gase and Manning did some good things together. I don't dispute that.

To say that just because Manning recommended this clown, he actually Is a good coach, doesn't fit the bill. I don't care what Manning had to say, he isn't a coach. His IQ gives him the ability to get there, but, he's not there. So, taking the word from a former QB that made a lot of coaches look better than they actually were, Is laughable to me.

If you have eyes.. You already knew this guy was a joke. He was In the same division as us, failing, with another team down South. It's not hard to see just from that, It wouldn't be a good hire. Just from that, but, when you add In the rest of Gase's "resume". It's very, very, very bad. Aside from when he was the OC for Peyton Manning. The 1st ballot HOF QB.

Gase has been shite everywhere else. Literally.

Actions, results, speak much louder than words. This was a fail before It even got started.

Sam actually showed a lot of potential before he was ruined. Everyone was talking about how highly coveted this HC job was because of, Sam. He was the talk of It all, he was the selling point, everyone was raving about this kid. It's not because people just felt like It. It's because he actually showed a lot of potential. He showed he was capable of being good/great.

He was ruined.

People have a short memory. Peyton Manning can go get fucked, right along with our shite owners.

I can blame the CS, the owner, and the FO for ruining the potential of Sam Darnold. I most certainly will.

I hope Darnold goes to a competent team, that knows what they are doing, and he has an amazing career. Despite the awful decisions of this organization. Year In. Year Out.

We own the SOJ mantra for a reason after all.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know what Sal has been smoking, but I want to try some of that stuff. The trade after Rosen's rookie year is simply irrelevant as he was WAIVED after second year and is now on a practice squad. Sam in his third year now is playing like Rosen was. I am sorry to say, but his value right now is pretty much non existent, to Sal's point, like that of Rosen.

The biggest value to the Jets he can bring is to keep Flacco away from starting line up, because with the way defense was playing today, we can actually win some games with Joe and lose #1 pick

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’ll attempt and fail (miserably) to do backflips if we manage to get a 2nd for him. He’s shown nothing that any coach would find desirable this season outside of a few nice scrambles on broken plays. The only positive that I can think of is that he’s still incredibly young.

6. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

he’s young, but he’s About to not be cheap. That’s why I really don’t think there’s much of a market forming for him. I’ll go streaking if we get a 2nd. But I’d bet pretty much all my ready cash that we don’t.

#46 SixDemonBag, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    REVISion likes this.
  7. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Tannyhill with much better stats got a 4th. Sam is the worst qb in the nfl. Either we cut him or get a 5th or 6th . Who would pay him

REVISion likes this.
  8. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Sam could be better than he is. But even with a good coach, I don't see him being much more than a journeyman. There were a lot of question marks about him coming out of college. He was pretty much Mark Sanchez 2.0:

-USC QB
    -Limited experience led to questions about readiness for the NFL
    -No real character issues, but still young and lacking in leadership skills
    -Issues with reading defense
    -Concerns about confidence and ability to move on from mistakes
    -Average to above average arm strength, but accuracy left much to be desired
    -Poor decision making under pressure

I hate to say it, but I just don't see him ever getting above mediocre. Maybe he'll have a fluke breakout season somewhere, but it's pretty clear by this point that he's not our guy.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yup. I can't imagine anyone in the NFL views Darnold as a highly talented prospect. Probably for the fact that he's not. He's a three year NFL veteran now that's lived in the gutter for all three years.

We'll be lucky to get a speculative fourth at this point.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Hard to defend him at this point

first, I ABSOLUTELY blame the owners, the former GM, and the coaches for running a fucking clinic on how NOT to build a team around a young QB...the OL has been shit, the receivers have been shit, the RBs have been mediocre at best, and that includes the stupid decision to sign Bell after sitting out a year....that guy does not live football. Period.

so yes, the organization ruined a good prospect. To me, that’s just blatantly obvious. We can compare to how we handled Sanchez, who I think was not as good a prospect as Sam. But we gave him a great OL, a strong running game (due more to the OL strength than the quality of the RBs), pretty damn good receivers in Braylon, Santonio, and Cotchery, and a GREAT defense. In the end, Sanchez still sucked, but we gave him a fighting chance. Something we never did with Sam.

ok great....all that being said, this was to me a watershed moment for Sam. He had his weapons, who are not great but they are decent and should be enough. The defense played pretty damn well today, and gave us two turnovers. And Sam shit the bed. Fierce.

he played like shit today...those picks were disgusting, and that scramble throw into the middle of the field is the same shit we’ve seen already too many times. Enough already. There’s no excuse to getting the ball on a fumble on the other teams side of the field and getting ONE FUCKING YARD.

I agree...Sam has not been the same since the Ghosts game, and while I wanted to root for him and see how he could do, this game was very telling. He has to go. I don’t know if he’ll be any good with a fresh start somewhere else with a better team, but I have no doubt that his time here is done. I don’t think he’s salvageable... not on this team, and certainly not with this coaching staff.

I already wanted the top pick because I think we need TL...not sold on Fields...not a whole lot of Ohio State QBs in the league....but we NEED that top pick.

luckily, every time I think we may have a chance (like last week, this week), this shit show of a team shows me just how much i overestimated them.

we need to keep losing to (a) get Gase the FUCK out of here, and (b) get that top pick.

and then of course we’ll have to see if TL decides to stay in school once he sees we have the top pick, because Jets

#50 Jets79, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Sam has the talent to be above average. He's just surrounded by complete and utter mediocrity on the o-line, receivers, TEs, coaches, ownership. He'll never be a GOAT but definitely better than average QBs.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Today was disappointing. I still believe in Sam, but his time with the Jets may be running out. Not too sure he minds that though.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Darnold is actually worse then Mark Sanchez...He may turn it around some place else but i honestly dont think he will.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The people old enough to remember Richard Todd are probably having the same deja vu I'm having.

Good physical talent matched to a so-so runtime processor and way too high expectations due to the buildup he got on the way in.

Now we're three years in and the organization is stuck in a bad place because not enough talent around him and he's not learning and adapting in a vacuum. The 1978 Jets unfortunately did not have the salary cap and free agency to force the issue so they kept Todd around for another four seasons until the team got better around him and he won some with it before being discarded as a misfit toy.

We've likely got a better situation in front of us because the 2021 draft and Darnold's upcoming freedom to move will force our hand.

Darnold's chance to be a good QB at this point depends on him getting very lucky and finding a great offensive system to move into and then listening to them about how to rebuild his game from the ground up. It's probably a smaller chance than we think it is.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In all fairness, I'd rather have Sam than James Morgan.

16. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

We'll get a higher comp pick if he walks. So we're not trading him that low.

JackBower likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If you want the Jets to lose out for Trevor, then today should scare you a bit.

First, our team is still playing hard and has NOT quit. Ideally we'd want the team to have packed it in already and just playing out the string, but that has NOT happened.

Second, after zero mini camps, training camp, etc, our oline is FINALLY starting to play well and giving Flacco or Sam a clean pocket with time to throw. And in theory our oline will only get better as they play more games. They learned on the job, which is never easy to do, but they ARE starting to look legit. If you're rooting for a tank job, this is not good news.

Third, with the oline playing better, ol man Gore was tearing it up. WTF??? He had SEVERAL runs in the 10+ yard range. I don't know what he has left in the tank, but Sam will have at least an average running game behind a good oline going forward. Defenses will have to respect the run at least some, which will help sam's passing game. If Gore can have another game like today, we could even see Gase calling some play action with good success.

Forth, Sam made some very nice throws today, but was inconsistent and made two really dumb throws. His '2 dumb throws a game' will probably always be with us but his inconsistency, missing open WRs, etc, COULD have been 1) playing with Mims for the first time ever, having zero chemistry with him, and 2) Sam is coming off a month off due to injury to his throwing shoulder. He could have been rusty and a bit sore. But with his return game behind him now and another week of practice throwing to Perriman and Mims, Sam COULD start hitting these guys a bit better than today, with better results. If Sam hits a few good passes in a row and regains some confidence, that's not good for the tank either.

Two plays kinda directed the game towards the fish. First, our end of the half missed short FG killed momentum. Sam had just drove the team from his own 8yrd line down the field into the red zone....then we missed a chip shot FG to go into the locker room with. That really hurt. Then the non-catch given to the fish WR that would have given us back the ball was returned to the fish who scored 7 right after. Those two things resulted in a 10 point swing in favor of the fish. We can't count on missing chip shot FG and the refs blowing a big call every game. Sooner or later one or two of the calls will go our way, and it's game on.

SO ya, Sam played poorly enough where losing the next 5 games looks doable. BUT enough parts of our team has their arrow pointing up that you should be nervous. Especially if Sam shakes the rust off and his chemistry with Mims/Perriman/Crowder get only better.

Even in a loss, i saw enough to make me nervous.

#57 Footballgod214, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    SOJAZ and Freddy Mondo like this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Relax.

We scored 3 points.

stinkyB likes this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He was really terrible today and there is no excuse for it. Gase is awful, but it is clear that Sam isn’t a student of the game. He sort of just hikes the ball and looks around. Not knowing what he is actually looking at/for.

It is also annoying watching him display ZERO emotion. Id like it if our next QB would show some confidence in leading men.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At this point it really doesn't matter how or why Darnold has sunk to this level, just the fact that he has. He won't be resurrected - if indeed that's even possible - on the Jets. He had a chance today to show everyone that he could be the "guy". He had two great chances to convert a Miami mistake and likely lead them to a win, and instead he shit the bed. It's not fair, what the Jets did to Darnold, but football isn't any more or less fair than life.

The only question now is: who will be the next QB ruined by this team?